doctors charging for the monthly LL checks?

Thanks for this Goombagirl- as you say its only fair to put another point of view. My own GP has always been supportive of me, but I have had some very very very bad experiences with other GPs in the practice- one told me I was the most obese person he had ever seen when I went to see him (I was 19 stone and pretty big, but I live in the fattest region in the country, so he couldn't have been getting out much!) about sleep problems, and another told me, when I had been suffering from unexplained stomach problems and heart palpitations that as I was on Xenical the weight should be dropping off me and then spent 10 minutes critcising everything I ate- neither addressed the problem I had gone with, which turned out to be long-term clinical depression which took me two years to conquer- and having conquered it I have chosen my own destiny by doing lighter life.

So, while some GPs are good, and I am glad I understand how their payments work, I am still very sceptical about many of them and how they treat overweight people- often they treat us like children who don't know what we are doing reinforcing our child instead of being in an adult to adult relationship with us.

Kx

It's good to have that explanation Goombagirl. I guess that GPs are hman too, and can make judgements based on their own knowledge or lack of.

Thanks AJ and hippoellie

but I have had some very very very bad experiences with other GPs in the practice
That's a real shame, but good for you for taking control and taking the positive step of doing LL and regaining a healthy body. I'm glad you've got one nice doctor in your practice. I remember being told as a 17 year old with a BMI of about 20 that I had "a bit of excess fat" by my GP. Mmm, really helpful. Wonder what he'd have said 25 years later!!:D
It is very difficult for a thin person to get inside the head of an overeater - it seems so obvious to them that all you have to do is eat less - and we all know how tricky that is for an overweight person. That's why the CBT is so vital. Talking of which, I have raved before on this forum about Eating Less by Gillian Riley - best thing I've read and it has revolutionised my thought patterns. I've just started to reread it - think I'll be reading it for ever! The test of this will be when I start management - hope I don't fall flat on my face!

I have never heard of that book before- thanks for the tip will check it out:)
Kx
I bought it the other week ans asked on here about it..theres a thread somewhere....

Re. The GP thing, some Doctors make me ashamed to be training to enter the profession :mad:
Some of them are complete ar*eholes and so ignorant, but I suppose you get that in every line of work.
My practice Nurse just sneered at me in disgust when I asked her to fill my form in :mad:

Went to see my GP on Friday , blood results in that I had been waiting and worry for since she told me I had very high blood glucose and sorted looked at me in that exasperated way that said type 11 diabetes you dont think you had it coming with a BMI over 40? Anyway it seeems my fasting blood glucose is now normal so I am she says I am not diabetic. She said it was a warning and that I must continue to reduce my weight. I said I thought she might be pleasantly surprised if she weighed me and she was, however when I mentioned about having a BP checked once a month she said 'we dont have the facilities to do that for you', bearing in mind I am on medication for high BP!
'We could perhaps do it in 3 months time' she offered. I am so dissapointed in my GP or in the practice that obviously controls what the doctors there do, surely it must be cost effective to encourage Obese people to be proactive and do something positive about thier weight? I am asking for nothing really just a little care and interest.
X C

Back