Doctors Signature

Emma1904

Working on it
Hi all,

I saw my CDC for the first time today and as suspected I have to get a doctors signature. I spoke to a doctor (not my normal one) at my surgery and she said that they can not endorse Cambridge as a way to lose weight as it is not on the NHS but if I want to do it then it is up to me, when I asked if this means she will sign the form she said that she can sign it if it is about my medical health current or previous but not if it states that they are agreeing that I can go on it... I'm confused!!! :confused::confused::confused:

When i read the form all it said above the bit where she was meant to sign was that she was to sign to confirm that the medical information on the form was correct...so... does that mean she'll sign it!? I've handed it in and they've told me it'll probably take two days to be looked at, if she doesn't sign it is there anything else I can do!?

I'm a bit worried as I so want to do this and I'm ready for such drastic measures, if I have to do SW or WW I just know that I won't stick it out :cry:

x x x

Thanks Caroline!

I really hope so! I never see this doctor and the other two I normally see are both off!!

fingers crossed!

x x x

Hi all,
I spoke to a doctor (not my normal one) at my surgery and she said that they can not endorse Cambridge as a way to lose weight as it is not on the NHS but if I want to do it then it is up to me, when I asked if this means she will sign the form she said that she can sign it if it is about my medical health current or previous but not if it states that they are agreeing that I can go on it... I'm confused!!! :confused::confused::confused:

x x x

Your GP is talking through her backside. VLCDs are endorsed by the NHS via NICE .. the National Institute of Clinical Standards ...to which GPs have to work .. as a tool for their patients to lose weight! All the VLCD suppliers introduced the "add a meal week" after 12 weeks to comply with these standards which say the can only be done continuously for 12 weeks at a time.

Here is the link about VCLDs from the National Obesity Forum's guidance for Health Care Professionals Very low calorie diets (VLCDs) CD have nutritionists/dieticians that monitor the product so do that bit. The GP is the clinical bit.

It might be worth reminding the GP that:

• NICE clinical guideline 43 Obesity: (guidance on the prevention, identification, assessment and management of overweight and obesity in adults and children) state that in the NHS "health professionals in all primary care settings should ensure that preventing and managing obesity is a priority, at both strategic and delivery levels. Dedicated resources should be allocated for action." GPs are classes as primary care practitioners.
  • Primary care organisations and local authorities should recommend to patients, or consider endorsing, self-help, commercial and community weight management programmes only if they follow best practice (see recommendation 1.1.7.1 for details of best practice standards). CD follows these guidelines
The guidelines state the following about LCDs and VLCDs (I have left the guideline section numbers in for reference)

Adults

1.2.4.29 The main requirement of a dietary approach to weight loss is that total energy intake should be less than energy expenditure.
1.2.4.30 Diets that have a 600 kcal/day deficit (that is, they contain 600 kcal less than the person needs to stay the same weight) or that reduce calories by lowering the fat content (low-fat diets), in combination with expert support and intensive follow-up, are recommended for sustainable weight loss.
1.2.4.31 Low-calorie diets (1000–1600 kcal/day) may also be considered, but are less likely to be nutritionally complete.
1.2.4.32 Very-low-calorie diets (less than 1000 kcal/day) may be used for a maximum of 12 weeks continuously, or intermittently with a low-calorie diet (for example for 2–4 days a week), by people who are obese and have reached a plateau in weight loss.
1.2.4.33 Any diet of less than 600 kcal/day should be used only under clinical supervision.
1.2.4.34 In the longer term, people should move towards eating a balanced diet, consistent with other healthy eating advice.

You might want to print off the relevant pages of the guidelines and highlight the relevant parts and bring them back to the GP...http://egap.evidence.nhs.uk/CG43/contents

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much! I'll see what she comes back with and if she won't sign it I'll use this material!! X

Back