Doctors surgery have a policy of not signing VLCD forms!!!

jussie

Hello, I`m new to this but I felt I had to write about my experience with GP today, I told her I was going to start CD and she said that she wouldn`t be able to sign any forms as the surgery had a policy which prevents them signing ANY paperwork linked to CD LL etc. I was sooo upset she knows I have weight problems through no fault of my own but still can`t help apart from telling me to join a gym!!!:cry: No way would I venture into a gym at my size! has anyone else had a problem like this? Not sure what to do now as BMI is 45 and need to lose 7 stone ish!! HELP!!! thank you

Go to a different doctor surgery? Or start on a higher plan to get your BMI down?

That is just so unhelpful of them. It seems drastic to change your doctor if you are happy with them usually. Starting on a higher plan seems the only way forward. It is a bit much when people can have gastric bands on the NHS and yet others can't even get a form signed.

Awww how awful of your gp. I agree maybe change surgery or maybe go to your dr and say you want refering to the hospital for weight management and see if they will sign the form for you once you there xxxx
I hope you get sorted as I know how you must be feeling. If not start on a higher step and work with that until your bmi comes down xxx

My GP did the same Hun, when I first wanted to start.... makes no sense at all does it??
Try a higher plan until bmi goes down or change gp x
X

Jussie - sorry you've had that experience. Depends on how good your GP is generally I suppose but if he/she is not able to provide you with support I would consider moving surgeries. As others have suggested perhaps start on a higher plan. Good luck - PGD x

lots of doctors do this which is very unfair :( You can either do higher plans as people have suggested or have a look at exante diet, exactly the same as cambridge diet just slightly higher in cals but same weight loss. Once Bmi is below 40 you can always go back to Cambridge :D

My CDC was really helpful and gave me a booklet that has been produced by Cambridge especially for Doctors. I went armed and ready to be challenged but thankfully the Dr was fine about. Although I did have to stand my ground when it came to wanting to charge me £22 for a signature. Argued my case and got it free of charge!

Can your CDC help - maybe they have some experience in getting doctors to sign them or may even know about your surgery if she has other clients who use them ?

Ahh this is such a shame!! I'm not sure changing surgerys would help you! I havnt actually asked for a signature! Im still not quite sure if I'm supposed to have one!! But I did mention it to my docs after I started and asked about the signature and both docs I saw said they generally don't sign them as they are putting their name to something they know nothing about!! Is anyone clear about whether everyone on ss should have to have doctors permission.. Because I didn't! :/

Ahh this is such a shame!! I'm not sure changing surgerys would help you! I havnt actually asked for a signature! Im still not quite sure if I'm supposed to have one!! But I did mention it to my docs after I started and asked about the signature and both docs I saw said they generally don't sign them as they are putting their name to something they know nothing about!! Is anyone clear about whether everyone on ss should have to have doctors permission.. Because I didn't! :/

It is usually if you have a medical condition or your BMI is over 40.

when i done cambridge last year you didnt need docs signature just give them the letter youre cdc gives you to make them aware of what youre doing incase of anty problem arising. it certainly shouldnt be about a doctor giving there permission for you to do this its not right we are all adults and if we want to lose weight by doing a vlcd then surely that is up to the individual what right does a doc have to say im not signing that therfore stopping you from wanting to help your self in the quickest way possible without the need for (nhs) surgery.

sorry for the rant it just gets right under ma skin lol

When doing LL a few years ago our counsellor said if there was any problems in getting the form signed you could try a private GP (look one up for your local area) they will charge anything from £30-£50 to sign it but if you really want to start on a VLCD then it will get you there quicker than changing surgery's or starting on a higher plan. I hope this helps.

At a BMI of 45 you can;t start on the lower plans anyway, talk to your counsellor as the recommendations have changed - you would need to start on 1200 or 1000 - not sure - on my way out so I don't have time to check, but it does state it on the CWP website steps page.

Back