does anyone buy frozen chicken?

debtin

Gold Member
Thought this may be a cheaper option instead of fresh chicken breasts. Does anyone know and how does it taste? Did search but nothing came up..is it really just like other chicken?

Ha I know how that sounded. Just because its cheaper I wasn't sure if it was maybe cut offs or something. Was going to buy some from farm foods but for some reason I have it in my head its not 'real' chicken. If the main difference is that it needs defrosted that's great. Have seen ones that say once defrosted you can eat as its already been cooked. Do you use frozen chicken?

Ha I know how that sounded. Just because its cheaper I wasn't sure if it was maybe cut offs or something. Was going to buy some from farm foods but for some reason I have it in my head its not 'real' chicken. If the main difference is that it needs defrosted that's great. Have seen ones that say once defrosted you can eat as its already been cooked. Do you use frozen chicken?

haha you had me sitting for a second thinking if it was a trick question lol

I personally don't buy frozen chicken breasts, I only eat organic chicken (I can't find them frozen anywhere) but I buy them fresh and freeze them myself!

I'm funny about where my meat comes from so I wouldn't buy the frozen chicken pieces etc from Iceland :yuk: if its not from Ireland or the UK I won't eat it!

Just check the labelling and as long as it says 100% chicken breast you should be ok, as for the taste I wouldn't have a clue sorry! :)

That's what I was thinking regarding the quality. Will have a look though every time I say I am going to do it I put them back. Didn't know if I was being too fussy or not. May not be too much of a price difference anyway. Thank you

That's what I was thinking regarding the quality. Will have a look though every time I say I am going to do it I put them back. Didn't know if I was being too fussy or not. May not be too much of a price difference anyway. Thank you

I don't think you can ever be too fussy where meat is concerned! I personally don't want my chicken pumped full of water and God only knows what the animals have been fed etc that would affect the taste :sign0137:

I always buy frozen, it tastes just the same to me :)

I think you will find that English/Irish Chicken has to comply with all the regulations and traceability and that adds costs, so some frozen foods come from abroad were regulations are of a lower standard, hence cheaper!. Having said that I always use Iceland's cooked frozen Chicken and have never had a problem with it and it's so convenient when I want a quick curry!
Also I am on a pension and cannot afford the best!

Ive brought both and i stick to frozen now. Its so much cheaper and exactly the same. Pop it straight into the steamer and hey presto!

The only chicken I get fresh now is a full one! Chicken thighs/breasts/drumsticks I get frozen. I've had them from Iceland, Farmfoods and currently got the Tesco value chicken portions in the freezer.

I haven't noticed any difference in taste, chicken just tastes like chicken to me! I cook mine in a halogen oven so it always comes out moist and juicy! xx

i purchase both. if i know im going to be eating chicken that night and really fancy something (chicken fajitas especially!) ill buy fresh as i wont have the time to defrost it. if i see good frozen chicken deals (like in sainsburys the other day they had a bag of chicken breasts normally £6 for £3) i will get that then. sometimes the 3 for £10 meat deals will tempt me also... depends on freezer space! often i find the organic in places like sainsburys or co-op is the same as "normal" price wise so i just go with whatever looks like has less fat left on.

I get chicken breasts from farmfoods, they're fine. Can even cook from frozen, but I tend to defrost as I usually do something with them like chop up for curries or stuff with cheese

I'm very funny with chicken after being pregnant and have just bought the frozen chicken tikka and chicken strips from Iceland to make coronation chicken with and they were absolutely fine, just makes sure that in the ingredients the water content is very low x

Back