Does anyone else encounter SW 'experts'?

stivesliz

Gold Member
My daily moan today is - people that think they know all about slimming world because they had a friend did it once about 10 years ago or just diets in general!

My friends daughter is overweight and she asked me round to chat to her as she wants to join SW. Another lady was there totally poo pooing everything I said and was coming out with gems like ''you cant eat meat and potatoes together' 'you cant eat bread or cheese' etc etc. I put her straight that SW has greatly evolved over the years and is the best 'diet' I have ever been on as you never need to go hungry and she wasn't having any of it.

The mum had made a lasagne and this so called friend told the kid that she could have a tablespoon of it with tons of salad to which I said that alternatively if I gave her my syn free recipe she could have tons of it and a bit of salad.Still she didn't believe me and sadly I don't think the mum and daughter did either and they know this other person better than they know me. It mae me cross because I think what she has said will probably put her off joining :(

I also have a 'friend' that constantly tells me I am eating the wrong stuff ( despite my weight loss ) and it makes me soooo cross.

Obviously all these 'experts' are slim. GRRRRR.

I am feeling your pain today!

'Those alpen lights are FULL of sugar. no good for any diet' this person has said this to me EVERY time they see me eating one and it is getting on my tits.

grr.

It's a pain isn't it. There are always some. The trouble is if people want to believe them over people like us who can show that we know what we're on about by the fact that we're doing it and loosing weight then there's not much we can do.

I always find it funny when people try to put a negative spin on SW. I go in the kitchen lunchtime at work and people are like - aw, what's that? thought you were on a diet. What? cheese? that's not diet food!

The other one is a mutual friend keeps getting put off joining because another friend (who does WW) keeps telling her that with SW you eat too much and your stomach stretches, so that when you stop doing SW you'll pile on the weight because you'll always be hungry and eating loads......absolute tosh. So the best way to prove her wrong is to keep losing weight by eating how much i want.

re the woman who comments about your alpen light bars - just say "works for me!" next time. And if she keeps saying it, just tell her they taste better than sour grapes ! lol xxx

I don't encounter SW experts but I do encounter people who are negative about the fact I follow a 'diet plan'. What they don't realise is that yes, whilst SW is a diet it's something that I intend to follow for life as it's a diet based on healthy eating and put in a form that I understand.
I would love to be one of these people who could naturally control what they eat by not needing the comfort of 'following SW' but I'm not one of them and I'm ok with that, I just wish other people were. The next person that tells me to be careful as I'll pile the weight back on once I'm finished may just about tip me over the edge. I'm not going to finish SW. It's there for life.

Last edited:
To be fair when you come off any diet you put weight back on, the thing with slimming world is we train ourselves to have a new view of food and don't come off the diet as such as we've adapted the way we eat for good hopefully. I know plenty of people who've lost weight on weight watchers and have come off and then piled weight back on because they just start eating whatever they want again.

My mums a bit like this... despite never having done the diet or anything remotely similar herself she works with a few ladies who do. Anything they tell her is treated as gospel, and if it differs to what I tell her I'm "lying". She sometimes tries to tell me the "rules" of the plan which she then gets spectacularly wrong! When I first started she would bring me home lots of random things in the groceries just because she "had seen XXXX eating them and they do slimming world so it must be ok" - half of what she was bringing was stuff that I didn't like, and the other half had more syns than I like in my food. She didn't seem to comprehend that these ladies might be going to class, but it doesn't mean they're sticking to plan 100% so she can't simply go by what she sees them eating.

She has thankfully backed off quite a lot and let me do my own thing.

My dad has never done slimming world but lost quite a lot of weight a few years ago by eating sensibly and going out walking lots. He always said the thing that most annoyed him was going back to work after a few months off because of illness, when everyone was seeing his weightloss for the first time... they'd all apparently say "well done, but you should do this..." or "you should do that" or "my wife does this and it's better than what you do". He said he got so fed up of "skinny experts" who didn't need to lose weight themselves when all he was thinking was "I've already proved I can do it I don't need all this advice especially when I've already lost the weight I was trying to in the first place."

When people at work ask about my weightloss I'm really aware of sounding like a cult member lol so I try to tone it down and not evangelise too much about how great SW is as I know it can be annoying especially to others who might see me as being a "know it all" about the diet when I'm just the same as anyone else on the plan really.

I did find myself sitting at a table with a WeightWatchers success story the other day though and found myself in a SW vs WW debate haha. I was sat there with my plate of syn free chicken fried rice and the WWer with a tiny piece of chicken and a tiny portion of cous cous. I know which plan I'd rather have lol :)

My mums a bit like this... despite never having done the diet or anything remotely similar herself she works with a few ladies who do. Anything they tell her is treated as gospel, and if it differs to what I tell her I'm "lying". She sometimes tries to tell me the "rules" of the plan which she then gets spectacularly wrong! When I first started she would bring me home lots of random things in the groceries just because she "had seen XXXX eating them and they do slimming world so it must be ok" - half of what she was bringing was stuff that I didn't like, and the other half had more syns than I like in my food. She didn't seem to comprehend that these ladies might be going to class, but it doesn't mean they're sticking to plan 100% so she can't simply go by what she sees them eating.

She has thankfully backed off quite a lot and let me do my own thing.

My dad has never done slimming world but lost quite a lot of weight a few years ago by eating sensibly and going out walking lots. He always said the thing that most annoyed him was going back to work after a few months off because of illness, when everyone was seeing his weightloss for the first time... they'd all apparently say "well done, but you should do this..." or "you should do that" or "my wife does this and it's better than what you do". He said he got so fed up of "skinny experts" who didn't need to lose weight themselves when all he was thinking was "I've already proved I can do it I don't need all this advice especially when I've already lost the weight I was trying to in the first place."

When people at work ask about my weightloss I'm really aware of sounding like a cult member lol so I try to tone it down and not evangelise too much about how great SW is as I know it can be annoying especially to others who might see me as being a "know it all" about the diet when I'm just the same as anyone else on the plan really.

I did find myself sitting at a table with a WeightWatchers success story the other day though and found myself in a SW vs WW debate haha. I was sat there with my plate of syn free chicken fried rice and the WWer with a tiny piece of chicken and a tiny portion of cous cous. I know which plan I'd rather have lol :)

I LOVE all you have said here! My mother in law is good as gold really but sometimes she will make stuff that she thinks I can have..............like full thruster trifle which she may have pur full fat creme fraiche on instead of cream LOL.

My mum is an eternal dieter, and has all sorts of bizzare ideas about which foods are "healthy", as well as an obsession with my weight.

Some of the worse meals I've had are "healthy meals" which she's cooked - her portions are ridiculous even by my standards and I eat enough to make most of this board laugh - and they always have loads of things in them I can't have, so if we see them I cook now it's just easier.

When she took me clothes shopping for my birthday "for smaller clothes now you've lost some weight" she then bought me a bag of jelly sweets, a full fat coke and a kinder bueno, which all got binned!

They've just come back from holiday and bought us a mega bag of mini chocolates (like a sack size bag) "because we know you're both on a diet". Hmm yeah thanks. Yes they are mini bars but there are about 100 of them, and we are both recovering binge eaters so that's obviously what we need in the house! I just smile and nod and then take them to work!

In fact most things she says now I just smile and nod and carry on doing as I was before.

Sadly I've realised after some very specific comments that a) she is jealous that I have quite high self-confidence and have genuinely been a happy size 18-20 for the last 7 years, and b) that now I have decided it'd be good for me to lose some weight for my health, it's falling off me steadily.

She's spent a life time hating her body, and "dieting" without ever actually sticking to any of the plans for more than 2 weeks, and she resents how well I'm doing so far. It's very sad, I really do feel bad for her, but understanding where she's coming from helps me to deal with some of the horrible comments.

That's so sad though :( I'm glad you don't let it get to you. People are so funny with their and other people's weight.

I've finally after over a year of slimming world got to the point where my mum understands the plan (I wouldn't mind if she didn't but she kept asking things like ''are you allowed this?'' which got annoying when it was all the time) and where she doesn't keep worrying about me loosing too much weight as well.

I still have to put up with some other people but the people I care about don't bother me with anything so I'm happy :)

I am feeling your pain today!

'Those alpen lights are FULL of sugar. no good for any diet' this person has said this to me EVERY time they see me eating one and it is getting on my tits.

grr.

I'd be tempted to retort with 'Actually luv, I think you'll find their are packed with SWEETENER, not sugar. Hence, the whole 'light' at the end of the name!'

I am lucky that most of my friends just accept what I say now, but they are all constantly amazed by what I eat.

Not just slimming world experts but diet experts... people who tell me not to eat after a certain time, and anything from a health shop is so good for you!

I spend a lot of my time just nodding and smiling :)

I have a woman at work who did ww years ago and always comments on how the yoghurt would be 1 point 'only' 1 point-its free on sw love and how she lost 7lb in her 1st week-I've lost 8.5lb in a week 3 times this year!
Then there's my mum who always wants unrealistic weight losses and can't understand how she's put lb on when she's been really good until I remind her of the butter loaded tiger bread she's been eating all week!
And the comments when I roll up for my night shift with a carrier bag full of food!

I was eating a banana the other day and was told I shouldn't because they contain too much sugar! In fact I shouldn't be eating fruit at all. People do get strange ideas about weight loss. I blame all those fad diets in the papers and magazines.

Back