Does anyone else go to meetings on their own?

emmab21

Hi all,

I'm brand new to this forum and like everyone else here I'm in need of some support. I used to go to slimming world meetings on my own but I found that everyone there already knew each other and I found it hard on my own as I also live on my own.

Needless to say I didn't carry on and now I feel if I don't do something soon I'm going to balloon to my biggest yet. :break_diet:

Is there anyone else that goes to meetings on there own and has the strength to do the diet on their own?

Hi ya. Yep. I go to meetings on my own, and I agree entirely it is very difficult to mingle and be included immediately, but bear with it.

What I did was join and stay to class but sat and read the magazines that were out on the consultants table - and I read and copied (some of the recipes) from the books to save me having to buy them. I made sure that I sat at the back but close to people that had been going for a while and swapped 'sides' each week.

I used to teach adult education and made sure that my learners integrated with everyone and I am surprised that consultants don't notice when people are on their own to try and get someone to 'look after them'.

You could try ringing your consultant and tell them you will be going on your own and is there anyone that could 'show you the ropes' etc.

It took about 6 weeks before people started sitting by me - rather than the other way around. Now I am fully integrated and love them.

i go alone and prefer it that way. i've only been at my class for 4 weeks, but i've made some friends there already :)

i've been previously over the years with my dad, once with my mum and once with a friend and i've hated it. also if they're doing badly it's easy off plan when they do and also skip weeks when they don't want to go.

I go alone... and didn't know a soul for a few weeks but now I happily mingle with all of the group (it's only small, about 15 of us usually).

Everyone is so friendly, you'll make friends in no time.

And actually, reflecting on it, I had a really really difficult time a few months ago and several people from the meetings got in contact with me to make sure I was keeping my head above water generally. Made a huge difference. If you've moved somewhere new or just want to meet new people, going alone will be fine!

50lbs, wow that makes me feel like a total slacker! My problem is I like to feel like someone is feeling my pain, haha.

Also living on my own I can find that buying all the different things for the recipies so the diets isn't boring can get quiet expensive but I guess that's not going to change.

Thanks for your replies ladies. I think I'll come on here more often!

50lbs, wow that makes me feel like a total slacker! My problem is I like to feel like someone is feeling my pain, haha.

Also living on my own I can find that buying all the different things for the recipies so the diets isn't boring can get quiet expensive but I guess that's not going to change.

I live alone too, you just have to be inventive, so buy the ingredients for one meal and either make enough for 4 and freeze, or make something completely different out of those ingredients so that you don't get bored - often things are vegetable based and the combinations are seriously endless! if you have them in a sauce one day, try roasting them or something the next.

Well from a man's point of view if I may...It was very difficult for me, as an overweight male, to walk into a meeting knowing that it'd be 99% women (at least) and not knowing anyone either...but the desire to lose weight was that strong that I went through with it and I'm now enjoying every meeting, the people there are so friendly.

In addition, my wife is tall, slim and can eat what she likes without putting on any weight...so I'm dieting alone (of sorts) but I'm enjoying that too- helped by the fact that the weight's falling off me :)

emmab21 said:
Hi all,

I'm brand new to this forum and like everyone else here I'm in need of some support. I used to go to slimming world meetings on my own but I found that everyone there already knew each other and I found it hard on my own as I also live on my own.

Needless to say I didn't carry on and now I feel if I don't do something soon I'm going to balloon to my biggest yet. :break_diet:

Is there anyone else that goes to meetings on there own and has the strength to do the diet on their own?

Ah Hun! I know exactly what you mean. It's hard at first. I was really lucky as I had my newborn with me when I joined and all the cooing struck up conversations and now really good friendships :) not suggesting a baby by the way! ;-)

I would say stick it out and maybe ask group members for advice about the plan? You have a common ground with everyone there, remember! I reckon in 3 or 4 weeks you'll be on your way to some lasting friendships. Good luck and be brave! :)

I go on my own and knew no-one when I joined! I agree with everyone who's posted on here, everyone is friendly and you plenty get support, ideas and warmth from the Consultant and members. I think they're great!

Are the ladies saucy at your group too Paul?
The ones at ours make me blush sometimes...
It's like an episode of loose women.

Are the ladies saucy at your group too Paul?
The ones at ours make me blush sometimes...
It's like an episode of loose women.

LoL - They certainly tease me about being sotw every week lol- but it's all done in a friendly way. Some of the comments they make when lists (like how to work off a mince pie) are read out! Would make a builder blush I tells ya!

And I'll have to go through it all again in two weeks time because I'll be changing groups. Same C and I very much suspect I'll have a 'reputation' by the time I get there lol. :p

I started off by going to group alone at first it is scary. But your consulatant makes you feel right at home. Whilst waiting for the group to start id look at the books and magazines. It took a few weeks until people started talking to me and now im on the social commitity and do the weigh-ins. And i love it.

I go to my class alone as well ... i have to be honest, i do prefer it like that because in the past i have done things with friends and family only to be let down by them so i go alone. All the people there are lovely, so friendly and they will chat to u as u sit and wait for your consultant to do her talk .... i find alot of people in our group go alone so its very easy to sit and chat to them ... i love going to class on a monday morning and find it really motivating x

I go alone too, don't mind it at all! :D

It can be difficult going on your own, and I used to feel a bit lost when I first started going and didnt have anyone to talk to. The first group I went to didnt really improve - I'm not good at "mingling" -but a new group started nearer my home so I decided to change groups anyway.

The new group needed volunteers for the weigh in etc - I decided to volunteer and that made all the difference - I love going to group now.

You could perhaps have a word with your consultant and see if any volunteers are needed - they might have a full team but if you explain it would help you, they might look into it - maybe covering when people are on holiday. Or you could try just doing something that gets you involved - take on selling the raffle tickets - even make people teas/coffees.

Stick with it though - I really think that staying to group makes all the difference, especially on the weeks when you arent doing so well.

Hi, I go on my own too, only been to 3 classes so far. 1 class at one venue then switched due to convenience, and the people aree lovely.

Luckily, I opt for a later group (7.30pm) so it's a smaller group which I prefer as people have more time to mingle and get to know you. But my consultant and her social team are amazing and lovely. So only having been at my current group twice, I already feel comfortable. But you need to just go for it and walk up to people and start talking, if someone is looking pleased after their weigh in then ask how they did?

Good luck whichever way you choose.

E

When I started going to my group I didn't know anyone. So I looked around for someone who wasn't talking to anyone and made a beeline for her and started chatting. The next week she was talking to someone else, so I went up to them and joined in. It takes an effort, sure - but it is worth it.

This might sound weird but I used to go with my mum which meant we could kind of stick together and not integrate or take it seriously. Everyone was really friendly and I think it would have been relatively easy to make friends if I'd tried more. :eek::eek:

Back