does anyone else have problems with loosing weight on slimming world

keithsmam

Hi
Ive been with slimming world since February and only lost 1.5 stone
I loose anything from 2 to 7 lbs in one or 2 weeks then I have 2 weeks where I gain ?
I do stick to the plan, the odd times I might go over my syns then odd times I will go under, but I have probably 2 weeks when I keep gaining weight and feel bloated and I get really bunged up too ?
Ive just turned 60 and going through menopause, I have diabetes and lipoedema also, but, this is just so so frustrating and demoralising and I feel like I'm wasting my time when I put on so much...its like one step forward and 2 back, and I feel like people in class must think I'm cheating and not being honest when I honestly am...I need some advice but don't seem to get anywhere when I ask slimming world
Has anyone had the same problem and if so did you find anything that helped solve the problem
Many thanks in advance for even reading

I'd say the thing to focus on is that you are losing weight. It may seem slow but at least it's coming off :)
If you're concerned your menopause, I have diabetes and lipoedema may be to blame then i'd suggest speaking to your GP if your consultant hasn't been able to suggest anything. They might be able to shed some light on the situation. Don't be demoralised though. It may not seem like it but you are succeeding and making progress! It's not a waste of time and you're further along then you were at the beginning!

I'd say the thing to focus on is that you are losing weight. It may seem slow but at least it's coming off :)
If you're concerned your menopause, I have diabetes and lipoedema may be to blame then i'd suggest speaking to your GP if your consultant hasn't been able to suggest anything. They might be able to shed some light on the situation. Don't be demoralised though. It may not seem like it but you are succeeding and making progress! It's not a waste of time and you're further along then you were at the beginning!

Thankyou for taking the time to reply to me I do appreciate it...
I have spoken in the past to my gp about it and all he said was ''oh well its just one of those things ??
Lipoedema and Lymphoedema is one of those things some (not all) gp's don't know a lot about and some don't recognise it, so I attend my local hospice to see the macmillan nurses as theyre the only ones who seem to have the experience and knowledge.
I have also spoken to my slimming world consultant who is a nice woman, but she doesn't know really what to suggest.
Last week I gained 2.5 lbs (stuck to plan) and week before I gained 2 lbs (stuck to plan) but week before that I lost 7....its bizzare for e.g at the end of april I lost 9 lbs in one week then the following week I gained 7.5 lbs ?? ... I hadn't done anything different as I write everything down
no rhyme nor reason to it ?
I will try to plod on as I know I do need to do this for myself and see what happens.... as you say im further on than i was in February
Thank you
x x

Hi there,

I'm not on slimming world, so my comments are related to general weight loss - hope they help though.

• Does your lipoedema include afternoon swelling? if yes could it be the weight gains are just water? A solution might be to weigh in the mornings, so you reduce the change of weighing with additional water.
  • Does you lipoedema include Lymphoedem infections and/or weeping? If so, have you noticed any correlation between weight gain and when you are fighting an infection/weeping?
  • Slimming World (I think) can do blind weigh ins. This means you are weighed and the loss is noted, but you don't know the figure. You can then see once a month what your overall loss has been, rather than getting frustrated with the weekly ups and downs
  • My weight fluctuates hugely - by as much as 5lbs from one morning to the next. My weigh day is technically Friday, but sometimes this can be an 'up' day. However if i weigh on a Saturday suddenly I am showing a loss - and this is the figure I use. So you could weigh at home daily, however be aware there will be daily fluctuation so only do this if you think you can handle it.
  • Do you notice gains go along side any menopause symptoms? We all know periods cause water gain (which shows as weight gain on the scales), so hormones can also be a culprit
  • Have you ever had any food intolerance tests? Certain foods can cause water retention and lead to a higher scale weight. I mention this as you talked about constipation, which can be a sign of food intolerance.
Good luck :)

Hi there,

I'm not on slimming world, so my comments are related to general weight loss - hope they help though.

• Does your lipoedema include afternoon swelling? if yes could it be the weight gains are just water? A solution might be to weigh in the mornings, so you reduce the change of weighing with additional water.
  • Does you lipoedema include Lymphoedem infections and/or weeping? If so, have you noticed any correlation between weight gain and when you are fighting an infection/weeping?
  • Slimming World (I think) can do blind weigh ins. This means you are weighed and the loss is noted, but you don't know the figure. You can then see once a month what your overall loss has been, rather than getting frustrated with the weekly ups and downs
  • My weight fluctuates hugely - by as much as 5lbs from one morning to the next. My weigh day is technically Friday, but sometimes this can be an 'up' day. However if i weigh on a Saturday suddenly I am showing a loss - and this is the figure I use. So you could weigh at home daily, however be aware there will be daily fluctuation so only do this if you think you can handle it.
  • Do you notice gains go along side any menopause symptoms? We all know periods cause water gain (which shows as weight gain on the scales), so hormones can also be a culprit
  • Have you ever had any food intolerance tests? Certain foods can cause water retention and lead to a higher scale weight. I mention this as you talked about constipation, which can be a sign of food intolerance.
Good luck :)

Hi Buffy
Yes my lipoedema does swell in the afternoons, and I have in the past had the weeping of water from wounds, but thankfully I haven't had any cuts or scratches for a while and definitley not since i started on s.w so thankfully no infections (fingers crossed)
Once ive been up and about on my feet for a couple of hours all the overnight easing of the swelling disappears and it becomes extremely swollen and painful to walk on, plus I obviously feel more bloated all over by the time I go to weigh-in, which I try to ease by not drinking too much and running to the loo before I get weighed but doesn't always work :(
I wish I could work out how to get rid or avoid the water retention ?
I haven't heard of 'blind weigh ins' ? but I can ask my consultant if its possible...but, yes I do weigh myself at home most days and it fluctuates by anything from 5 or 6 pounds from one day to the next...I was blaming my scales but now I'm not so sure ?
I think menopause has a hand in it too which probably makes the problem twice as bad ...oh joy :)
I did think about a food intolerance test some time ago then forgot about it, but now I think it may be something that might be a good idea as a process of elimination
You have given me some things to think about buffy and i appreciate your help
Thank you

Can i ask do you have lipoedema yourself or are have you had some experience of it ?

Hi Buffy

Can i ask do you have lipoedema yourself or are have you had some experience of it ?

I think I have lipoedema in both legs (and possibly my upper arms), and secondary lymphoma in one one leg, but have not been formally diagnosed. I've done a lot of reading on it - I am not a fan of Google diagnosis, but I have found it helpful as sometimes being obese is used as an explanation for everything.

I have always been very big, and my legs have never been shapely. About 6 years ago i noticed one leg was swelling, with bumps/infections. When I went to the doctor he was really horrible and referred me to an obesity clinic without explanation. So I didn't go and just lived with it. I have now been losing weight for about a year, and doing really well (just under 9 stone lost), and have noticed massive improvements in the one swollen leg. But overall my legs aren't losing as much weight as the rest of me. Plus the shape of my legs is not 'normal'. I also have the elastic look at my ankles, which from what I've read is a sure sign of Lipoedema.

I'm lucky as since I have been on my weight loss journey I haven't had pain. My legs no longer feel heavy, and 90% of the time don't swell in the afternoons.

I have a GP appointment later his month (now a different GP surgery) to see if I can get a referral to a clinic. I still have lots of weight to lose, but my concern is that some of my leg weight won't come off with diet, so I need to see what else they can do to help.

Edit: One more thing I thought of - you could take measurements as well. This way you can see inch loss, not just scale loss.

Last edited:
I think I have lipoedema in both legs (and possibly my upper arms), and secondary lymphoma in one one leg, but have not been formally diagnosed. I've done a lot of reading on it - I am not a fan of Google diagnosis, but I have found it helpful as sometimes being obese is used as an explanation for everything.

I have always been very big, and my legs have never been shapely. About 6 years ago i noticed one leg was swelling, with bumps/infections. When I went to the doctor he was really horrible and referred me to an obesity clinic without explanation. So I didn't go and just lived with it. I have now been losing weight for about a year, and doing really well (just under 9 stone lost), and have noticed massive improvements in the one swollen leg. But overall my legs aren't losing as much weight as the rest of me. Plus the shape of my legs is not 'normal'. I also have the elastic look at my ankles, which from what I've read is a sure sign of Lipoedema.

I'm lucky as since I have been on my weight loss journey I haven't had pain. My legs no longer feel heavy, and 90% of the time don't swell in the afternoons.

I have a GP appointment later his month (now a different GP surgery) to see if I can get a referral to a clinic. I still have lots of weight to lose, but my concern is that some of my leg weight won't come off with diet, so I need to see what else they can do to help.

Edit: One more thing I thought of - you could take measurements as well. This way you can see inch loss, not just scale loss.

Evening Buffy
Wow - you've lost 9 stones ...that's just awesome you must be so proud of yourself, and yes it will help your leg massively
You must when you see your gp again ask for a referral to your local lymphoedema clinic, and, if he or she tries to fob you off then insist saying you need a second opinion (you are entitled to it)
I also have searched the internet for some magic answers, but sadly theres not a lot on it, but ive attached a link for you to read which has helped me as theyres some good info on diet etc
Theres no cure for lymphoedema, all they can do is help you live with it as comfortably as possible with the aid of compression stockings (which is what I use) and I believe they can offer lymphatic drainage massage too ?
Ive never been offered this massage and I'm not sure of the criteria for being allowed to have it either...sorry
The compression stockings, or, nora batty stockings as I call them actually aren't as bad as they sound...they have improved them so much in the last few years its brilliant.
I was first measured up for them at the local hospice about 8 years ago and thought 'hey' this will be great they'll really help me....but when I went to collect them a few weeks later, my nurse kindly helped me in to them, and off I went, but sadly within half an hour of putting them on my husband had to cut them off my leg...i felt like my ankle was in a vice, it became so unbearably tight with the swelling I couldn't bear the pain, and I vowed id never go back or wear them ever again...which I didn't for a few years, but, I did have to give in and go ask for help again as I needed support for my ankle/leg as it was just becoming increasingly swollen and painful.
They have improved the design and fabric so much over the years they are really quite comfortable to wear now and ive actually lost a couple of inches in the circumference of my leg all through the support of these stockings...my leg will never ever go back to its normal shape or size, but at least its improved slightly which is a massive plus to me.
I hope you get the help and answers you need when you see your gp
Good luck and thanks for your support

Back