Does anyone else...

SilverSilph

Silver Member
...find it harder to stick to the diet the closer you get to the end?

I keep finding myself in a "Ah, screw it!" kinda mindset. I look at myself in the mirror and I love how far I've come! But I also find it hard to visualise the difference the last 10lbs will make. Part of me feels like it won't be much and that I've done enough and I can move onto Conso now but the other part feels like that would be quiting...

I've also been getting stronger and stronger carb cravings the last week or two, and they're starting to get me down. And then I have a weekend-long festival to go to at the end of May and being the only sober one is going to suck. Not to mention how awkward it will be to avoid festival food.

I guess I'm just in need of a vent...I've been over-thinking things far too much and just working myself into a tizzy. I know I should keep to the diet but all I want to do is to curl up on the couch with crisps, Ben&Jerrys and a couple of bars of Milka!

Ive been OK with cravings but these last two pounds dont want to do one - so ive another week and then if ive not lost them then its onto conso for me - I am ready for the next stage as its taken me a long time to get to this dukan point.

Please dont give in Silver come on love look how well you've done in such a short space of time - hope your OK perhaps your tired or missing your family. x

as many know ive struggled a lot since xmas going up and down like a yoyo... im still detrmined to get there though and like chriss im moving on whether the last 2 lbs go or not

Ive been OK with cravings but these last two pounds dont want to do one - so ive another week and then if ive not lost them then its onto conso for me - I am ready for the next stage as its taken me a long time to get to this dukan point.

Please dont give in Silver come on love look how well you've done in such a short space of time - hope your OK perhaps your tired or missing your family. x

To be honest I'm actually starting to worry about what my mam will say when she sees me. Last time I lost weight I looked a LOT bigger than I am now and she told me I was on the verge of having lost too much. And she told me a story the other day on Skype about an opera singer who suffered heart damage and eventually death from losing too much weight.... I know she's probably worried about my health more than anything but I don't know what I'll do if she reacts negatively when she sees me :(

you are doing this for you and you feel so much better - your doc is happy with your weight loss - so your Mam will understand once she sees how happy and content her beautiful daughter is :) x

I am so proud of you silver.

I wish I could steal some of your motivation <3

the dear doc says in the lifeplan book if you decide to come off the plan for any reason don't just quit make sure you do conso

Mums worry, it's our job! Silver, your Mum will worry (though I hope she tries to remember to say positive things) but if you can honestly tell her that you are happy and your Doctor is happy then I am sure she will be okay. I know I worried when my eldest was at her heaviest and now I worry when she is a stone and a half lighter! Mums worry because we love.
To answer your question about finding it hard near the end - everything you wrote could have been written by me!! I've found the last stone hellishly hard to stay motivated and lose. I no longer looked or felt overweight and desperately wanted to have chocolate, wine, etc. However, what has kept me going is knowing that I do not want to have to do this again - the thought of yo-yoing is awful. So, if you feel that you are happy with what you have achieved so far (which is amazing) why not move onto Conso - it would be healthier than carb binging? Whatever you decide to do you should be proud of what you have achieved.

Miss Silver - keep going till your TW - it will be four weeks away max and believe me it will be worth it - I changed my goal weight set by Dr D from 12 stone to 10 st 13 which was hard to do but I am soooo glad I have! I am finding the diet tough too and have been more tempted to be lax but I then remember that going back to carbs is not gonna be the answer for me and the only hope I have of not yo-yoing is to follow conso and be just as strict - you have responded so well to the boundaries set by Dukan it really does suit you - you can do this - if you are very close to target when you go to your festival let yourself have a drink but stick to the food side then you can let your hair down a bit!!! Good luck hun!

I will definitely be going to Conso and Stab, no way would I just quit entirely! I definitely never want to regain any of the weight I've lost. Ever!

I hope you're right about my mam. I know she's only looking out for me and since I'm so far away she's probably worrying herself sick (I got my stressing from her) but if she says anything negative it's just going to rip me apart.... It's like when you go shopping and find something you love and think is perfect on you and then your Mam or sister tells you it does nothing...You'll never wear it again...at least I wouldn't. Despite my opinion the top/dress/jeans would be forever coloured by their comment and I could never feel confident in it...

I've already started relaxing the restrictions on the diet which is bad I know...I guess I gotta (wo)man up and tell myself to cop on! I want to get to my TW, hell I want to get further than that! I've done 16 weeks, 4 more might kill me but screw it! I'll never get anywhere if I don't push myself.

CaledoniaDreaming said:
Mums worry, it's our job! Silver, your Mum will worry (though I hope she tries to remember to say positive things) but if you can honestly tell her that you are happy and your Doctor is happy then I am sure she will be okay. I know I worried when my eldest was at her heaviest and now I worry when she is a stone and a half lighter! Mums worry because we love.
To answer your question about finding it hard near the end - everything you wrote could have been written by me!! I've found the last stone hellishly hard to stay motivated and lose. I no longer looked or felt overweight and desperately wanted to have chocolate, wine, etc. However, what has kept me going is knowing that I do not want to have to do this again - the thought of yo-yoing is awful. So, if you feel that you are happy with what you have achieved so far (which is amazing) why not move onto Conso - it would be healthier than carb binging? Whatever you decide to do you should be proud of what you have achieved.

My mum started worrying this week with "I read low carb is bad for your brain". I pointed out obesity isn't great for my organs either and there's a gradual reintroduction. Do what makes you happy. I've spent long enough motivating myself on what others think-you're the most important person in this journey and I wish you the best of luck!! X

Sending hugs, SilverSilph!
Everyone has cravings...
Just don't give up... and don't worry so much.

my mums been very supportive and says i look fantastic, we have a history of obesity in the family.... all the irish side are large lol. shes proud of me for tackling my weight problem and wishes my sister would do something about hers as she has allsorts of health issues due to her weight

My Mum was very overweight when I was growing up then lost it when she turned 50. She was supportive until I got below what she considers a sensible weight for me (11 stone minimum) and now we just don't talk about it as we know each other's opinions and respect them. I still do what is right for me though. As a Mum myself, I know we worry all the time but I would definitely always worry more about obesity than weight loss. Stay strong Silver - your Mam is showing that she cares about you.

my mums been very supportive and says i look fantastic, we have a history of obesity in the family.... all the irish side are large lol. shes proud of me for tackling my weight problem and wishes my sister would do something about hers as she has allsorts of health issues due to her weight

My mam and my 2 sisters have always been smaller than me....except for now. My waist is now smaller than my mams and my little sister is going through a stressfull time in college and has gained weight. I know they're all happy for me but my lil sis is also acting kinda annoyed that her "big" sister is around her size now.
It's kinda funny that my older sister, whom I've always had some friction with, is the only one who just seems purely happy for me without any worries or underlying feelings :p

Hopefully, if there are negative opinions when they see me, we can come to the same arrangement you have Caledonia. If they don't have anything nice to say, maybe they won't say anything...

Last edited:
Silver I think it is a good plan to prepare yourself for 'negative' comments so that they bounce off you and you don't take them to heart - honestly lovely, take a good long look in the mirror and really see what you look like - the photo you posted showed you to be a sassy attractive and slim lady - so healthy looking and certainly not anorexic! It is really really hard not to care what your family think (especially your Mum) but family say things for many reasons and sometimes because they are jealous - I know when my Mum was losing weight and I was gaining it was hard for me to be genuinely happy for her cos I wanted to be slim too and just could not do it!!! I hope my rambling makes sense - I hate to read the self doubt in your posts!!! If you face any negative comments be calm and reply with proven facts - e.g. my doctor is thrilled - I am now healthy, I am happy - I feel great etc etc - try not to get defensive!!! And if you like that dress/top/ trouser - blimmin buy it - you KNOW what works for you!!! LOL! x

I really hope for your sake all goes well Silver - it's easy for my mother and I to keep off topics that cause discord as we only talk over the phone (we live in different countries), families can be a great source of support but also pain - rise above any negative comments and show them the self-disciplined, strong, amazing person you are!

Thanks Trudy, Caledonia :D your posts really mean a lot. I'll try prepare myself for any comments that might be forthcoming. I kinda feel like I should be doing that self-help thing where you stand in front of the mirror and say things like "I am a proud, beautiful woman" lol!
I'm just going to keep compliments from friends here in mind and how happy I feel when I go shopping now and I can fit into the majority of things as opposed to the minority :)

No more slacking off. I gotta get back to my strict regime and back into my exercise!

Back