Does anyone have a nice beef curry recipe?

Ingredients:
2 packs of pieces of stewing beef (or lamb is lovely for this too)
Three tablespoons of madras paste (one or two spoonfuls if you don't like it too spicy or a similar less spicy paste)
2 or 3 red onions chopped up
6 vine tomatoes chopped up
a few carrots chopped into slices
a few pototoes diced (medium sized chunks are fine)

Fry beef in a large cooking pot with the chopped red onions with fry light (or syn a little oil). When beef is cooked and onions softened pour out any juices into a bowl and add the tomatoes.

Fill the pot 3/4 full with water (return the juices to the pot if you wish), add desired amount of curry paste and leave to simmer, stirring every so often. When the curry has started to thicken well, add the chopped carrots and cook until soft. Add the potatoes last and cook until soft and serve with your favourite rice!

Add more water during the cooking process if necessary.

Sorry about the vague amounts and timings...I'm a very 'play it by ear' cook. My boyfriend gave me this recipe so I won't take all the credit ;) but it's lovely!

I really love the Beef curry from the Slow cooker recipe thread . I'll copy and paste it ... To be honest it is divine from a slow cooker but it doesn't need to be. I've made it in a pan on the hob too .

Beef Curry (slow cooker)
I had it on high for 3 hours and then switched to low for about another 3 hours but you could have it on low for about 6-8 hrs if you were out at work I suppose.
1lb stewing steak or braising steak
1 tin tomatoes
1 beef stock cube / i used one of the knorr gel pots
2 bay leaves (not sure what this added so could leave it out?)
1 tsp chilli powder or more if you like it hotter
2 crushed garlic cloves
2 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp onion salt - I didn’t have any actual onions so i used this to replace onion and salt
1 tsp crushed black pepper
1 level tbsn tomato puree (0.5 syn)

i had it with rice on EE and it was lovely, i had intended to add more veg into it but forgot so had a bit more on the side but between the tinned tomatoes and onion it should make up your 1/3 SF on an EE day

Mines in the slowcooker with added carrots. Going for my hair done, I expect a good curry smell on return x

will this sauce thicken after a long time, i have trouble with mine thickening :(

kdub24 said:
will this sauce thicken after a long time, i have trouble with mine thickening :(

I also have trouble thickening curry sauces. I made a chicken curry from one of the mags and mashed up half a tin of baked beans and added them to the sauce. Hey presto a sin free thickening. The texture was a little like a dansak. Hope this is of use to you.

you could always add lentils/split peas etc which would help to thicken :)

Pete’s Beef Curry& Rice (mild)

Serves 4

Ingredients

1tsp olive oil (2 syn)
450g beef stewing steak
1 onion, finely chopped
1tsp “Very Lazy” Garlic
1tsp “Very Lazy” Ginger
1tsp “Very Lazy” Chilli
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp coriander seeds
1tsp turmeric
1tsp curry powder(for a hotter curry use up to 2tbsp)
1tsp garam masala
1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
Knorr Dark beef stock pot mixed with 200mL water
225g long grain rice
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method

Crush the cumin & coriander seeds with a mortar & pestle. Put the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, and add the ground seeds, cook for 2 mins to allow the oils to come out, add beef cut into 25mm chunks and brown on all sides. Remove from pan, reserving juices, and season with salt and pepper.

Cook the onions until transparent then add the garlic, ginger and chilli, cook for 2 mins, until tender, and season with the cumin, coriander, curry powder & turmeric. Mix in the chopped tomatoes.

Return the beef to the frying pan. Add stock.

Either place in a slow cooker & cook for several hours or

Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 mins with a lid on the saucepan.( If you don’t like a runny curry then cook the rice in with the curry and add 20 mins more cooking time)

15 mins before serving add the garam masala.

BeefRiceCurryLarge.jpg

Back