does anyone shop at aldi?

Discussion in 'Syn Values' started by busybee123, 4 July 2011 Social URL.

1. busybee123

busybee123 Full Member

If so what do you buy?
    I went for the first time last week. I bought some light cheese triangles and cannot find out if they can be a he A or not!

Also not sure what's good to buy sw friendly!
    Many thanks for any suggestions!!

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. HellieCopter

HellieCopter Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st2.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7.5lb(19.24%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I like their reduced fat cheese, their virtually fat free natural yoghurt not to mention all the cheap fruit and veg on their offers. Also I like their frozen lamb shanks - one in rosemary sauce and one in mint. I think the minted one is free (or used to be) and the other one isn't...or the other way round (can't remember sorry!) and they're a real treat...taste like a fab indulgence but only a fiver for 2 shanks!

4. nixterjoe

nixterjoe Member

the cowbells be light triangles 8 pack are 1.5 each on all sw 3 can be counted as HEb on green so I think it's the same on ee which is odd cos I thought they would be HEA but 3 x 20g light cheese singles can be used as HEA on all sw is that confusing or what ... sorry if it makes no sense

5. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
  6. Yarneater

Yarneater Member

I shop at Aldi for bits and bobs, mainly British grown veggies and fruit.
    One thing I always get is a tub of frozen summer/winter berries, very cheap at under £2. I can get 4 smoothies out of one tub so it's great value for money - I add a banana and some fat free yoghurt and blitz them in a blender for a breakfast smoothie or snack.

7. mummy-to-two-monkeys :)

mummy-to-two-monkeys :) Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st10lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st9lb(5.49%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I thought blended/cooked fruit had syns? Im pretty sure it does :confused:

8. mummy-to-two-monkeys :)

mummy-to-two-monkeys :) Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st10lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st9lb(5.49%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I shop in there for milk (£1 for 4pts), frozen chunky breaded Haddock fish is only 4.5syns (£2.69) if you fancy a tasty dinner of fish & chips, I get their 69p fruit and veg quite often, if I like that they have on offer. I also started buying kitchen roll and foil and home bits in their - its surprising how much cheaper it is actually!

9. Ellie666

Ellie666 Full Member

Start Weight:
    21st4lb
    Current Weight:
    19st3.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st12lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0.5lb(9.56%)
    Diet:
    SW
    3 xLaughing cow lights are allowed as a hex a on ee. However u can have 6 of the extra lights

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

10. slimforsummer

slimforsummer Full Member

Yep your right blended fruit is HIGH in syns not sure what the syn value is but we have discussed this at class a few times - BEWARE :eek:

11. ermintrude

ermintrude Gold Member

Start Weight:
    27st8.5lb
    Current Weight:
    17st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    16st7.5lb
    Lost(%):
    10st5.5lb(37.65%)
    Diet:
    SW
    I wouldn't say it was *high* in syns. They vary but eg strawberries are half a syn for 28g pureed. It's just that if you do puree them you can eat a huge amount more of them. A big 250g box of strawberries is free whole, about 4.5 syns if pureed. It's just that that what is pureed doesnt go very far, so an average smoothie might cost a lot more than just one box of strawberries.

12. HPSaucy

HPSaucy Will get there one day!

Start Weight:
    17st8lb
    Current Weight:
    14st8.5lb
    Lost(%):
    2st13.5lb(16.87%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I've just been shopping in Aldi for the first time after being inspired by this thread (still had to pop to Tesco afterwards unfortunately so the weekly shop took 2 hours!).

I've bought my fruit & veg from there and then compared the prices once I went to Tesco (perhaps that's why it took so long!), it's so much cheaper.

Also bought the Thai salmon fish cakes which I've just had for lunch, very nice and can't believe they're FREE.. Well infact they might not be as mine were frozen and when I checked my free branded food directory it says they were chilled! Any ideas on syns as can't get on website for some reason?

13. MadameLaMinx

MadameLaMinx Gold Member

The thai salmon fishcakes with the sweet chilli sauce used to be free, but then they put a syn on them, presumably because of the sauce. They are listed under Aldi and then search for Northern Catch.

Other things from Aldi that I know of - Harvest Morn Less Than 70 Calories cereal bars - 2 for a hex B, all types.

The Cowbelle Lights are indeed 3 for a hex A on all plans, but when you can have 5 laughing cow lights and they are nicer, imo, and often on special offer in Asda for £1 for a big pack, with a very long shelf life, I dont bother with the Aldi ones.

Aldi Belight cottage cheese is syn free and I use this a lot to make the SW quiche.

14. Yarneater

Yarneater Member

I'm going to group tonight so I'll ask my rep about my smoothies. I'm not sure I really undestand why blending my fruit means there are more syns than if I ate the same amount unblended. I don't understand that at all. It also tells me that she hasn't been checking my food diaries because I've been doing it for two weeks now.

15. shivvy1211

shivvy1211 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st9.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st3lb
    Lost(%):
    2st6.5lb(19.44%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I shop in Aldi all the time. I didn't know the cottage cheese was syn free.

Thanks for that. :)

16. Bunnylush

Bunnylush Gold Member

Start Weight:
    1st2.9lb
    Current Weight:
    0st10.9lb
    Goal Weight:
    0st10.9lb
    Lost(%):
    0st6lb(35.5%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    I love Aldi I alternate between Lidl Morrisons and Aldi. I'm lucky to have all close.
    Their foods always been very good and wine etc.
    I know it's off topic but their face serums and moisturisers are excellent and cheap. Don't be put off by the cheap price!
    You do get far more for your money food wise.
    3 bird roast is gorgeous for a special occasion , I think it has a few syns. It's big.

17. Chookiehen

Chookiehen Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st11.5lb
    Current Weight:
    9st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7.5lb(21.45%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    HI
    I shop at Aldi as well - I buy fruit/veg in bulk for soups as its really cheap also in the freezer you can get bags of Frozen chopped chicken breast pieces. Really handy, grab a handfull just to throw into some noodles or pasta.

:D

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Yarneater

Yarneater Member

Well, I checked at group and yes, blended fruit does have syns. My rep worked out that each smoothie was coming to about 8 syns. Oddly enough, I had my biggest loss this week - 3.5lbs even with all those syns. I am doing green (as I'm a vegetarian) and most of my diet is super-speedy veg so maybe that was it?
    Anyway, I'm still having my smoothies but I'll be taking the syns into account. This is my 5th week on SW and I've dropped 10lbs already so I'mdoing something right!

20. busybee123

busybee123 Full Member

Wowee that's amazing well done you!

It's odd that fruit in smooties are counted.
    Ww now allow fruit to be free but the smoothies are free too!
    Strange.

21. Time for change

Time for change Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st12lb
    Current Weight:
    12st9lb
    Lost(%):
    3st3lb(20.27%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
  22. odd_sock

odd_sock Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st1lb
    Current Weight:
    15st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    0st12lb(5.33%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I shop in Aldi too. I get my fruit and veg in there and get bread for OH, he prefers it over the big name brands. I also get fat free natural yogurt, eggs, baked beans and tinned toms in there. I find there fresh fruit and veg keeps better than the big supermarkets x

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.