• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Does couscous taste as bad as ........

Eclipse

Gold Member
It really depends what you add to it for flavour, instead of just using hot water, use stock and add plenty of herbs spices, etc etc. It's all really down to a matter of taste and experimenting x x

I like the Ainsley Harriot ones, there's so quick and easy to do and I think they taste nice either hot or cold. I often make up a sachet to go with sausages when my hubbie has chips with his. My favourite is the Spice Sensation one which is half a syn per 100g cooked on EE or Green. The roasted vegetable one is nice too and is the same syns.

Mummoth

Silver Member
When I had it at Pizza Hut it had been soaked in what tasted like vinegar, but the couscous itself was like the texture of what I imagine frogspawn to be like & once the vinegar flavour had gone it was like eating mushy puffed wheat without the flavour.

I guess I should buy some & try it really.

Donnie46

Slow but sure....
I suppose it is an individual taste really, but I love Cous Cous, my fave being the Ainsley Harriot Spicy Sensations one, and only ½ a syn a pkt made up.

judimac

Mad old Bat with Attitude
Couscous is like rice, not much taste and it needs tarting up with the flavours of your choice. OH hates it almost as much as courgettes! I like it with roasted veg, chickpeas and put lime/lemon juice and fresh coriander in it.

lurverick

Now to maintain.....
personally i hate,hate,hate it!!!!
ive tried the packets,various restuarants,hubby doing it his way with just plain cous,cous.......i simply cant stand it any old way!!

hubby,kids and just about everyone i know absolutely raves about the stuff though!

Ainsley Harriot Spice Sensation is really nice, and the fastest healthy fast food ever! Its frighteningly effortless.

I quite often make up a packet and have it with hard boiled eggs and salad, or mix some tuna through it and have some cherry tomatoes chopped through it.

I love cous cous (or bulgur) either in salad or as a side dish.
Salad: I cut in dices tomatoes (with their juices), cucumbers, green peppers and parsley or mint. I add the boiled couscous, oil, lemon juice and salt. I toss them well and keep them in the refrigerator for 1h. It is my favorite summer salad.
Side dish: I boil tomato juice (either from the carton or from fresh tomatoes) diluted with water in order to reach the proportions in liquid. Then I add salt, and herbs and the couscous. When it is almost ready I add some olive oil or a little butter just for the taste.