Does SW work if you have PCOS?

sarah11

Hi there,
I started slimming world on Monday and i'm absolutely loving the plan and enjoying not having to feel hungry.... So much so, that i'm wondering if it might be too good to be true for someone who suffers from PCOS... I'd like to hear from anyone with the condition, or has heard of someone with pcos, who has successfully lost weight on the sw extra easy plan? I have been sticking to under 7 syns a day and avoiding sweet stuff like chocolate altogether (my vice) apart from fruit and yoghurt and the odd meringue nest. I'm hoping that will help a little. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated :) x

Hi there,
I started slimming world on Monday and i'm absolutely loving the plan and enjoying not having to feel hungry.... So much so, that i'm wondering if it might be too good to be true for someone who suffers from PCOS... I'd like to hear from anyone with the condition, or has heard of someone with pcos, who has successfully lost weight on the sw extra easy plan? I have been sticking to under 7 syns a day and avoiding sweet stuff like chocolate altogether (my vice) apart from fruit and yoghurt and the odd meringue nest. I'm hoping that will help a little. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated :) x

Hi Sarah

I successfully lost 7 stone on SW a few years ago and I have PCOS; can't say the condition ever interfered with the plan.

Hi Kayteloo, Thanks for the reply. That is amazing! What an inspiration you are :) That is very encouraging! Did it take you a long time? Did you find you lost as quickly as other members? I've got my weigh in tomorrow and i'm terrified...the scales at home arn't showing a loss, even though I have stuck to it religiously all week. I even limited my syns and never went over 8 a day....fingers crossed for a loss tomorrow! Did you have to limit your carbs or anything? x

Hi Kayteloo, Thanks for the reply. That is amazing! What an inspiration you are :) That is very encouraging! Did it take you a long time? Did you find you lost as quickly as other members? I've got my weigh in tomorrow and i'm terrified...the scales at home arn't showing a loss, even though I have stuck to it religiously all week. I even limited my syns and never went over 8 a day....fingers crossed for a loss tomorrow! Did you have to limit your carbs or anything? x

No, followed it just the same as everyone else. May be worth chatting to your consultant tonight if you have concerns (I obviously can only go from my own experience). Took about 12 months to lose, and the same to put back on, so I am just starting over again. Not so inspiring :(

Awww, don't be terrified of the weigh in! No matter what it says, you're eating healthier and cleaner than before, and definitely throw your scales at home away - they just show a number that will demotivate you (whether you've had a great or terrible week). I will keep everything crossed for you, but if it's a maintain, then so be it - don't give up.

Remember - you are more than a number on a scale! :)

I have severe PCOS and the beard to prove it. My PCOS has never affected my weight loss, although I have a habit of blaming it every now and again. I lost 3st in 3months, but put a bit back on over Xmas, when I got going again this month I lost 7lbs my first week.
My only advise is to use more of your syns, they are there for a reason and it might sound weird, but people have better weight loss if they use them all.

Hi Sarah, I have PCOS and managed to lose 5 stone. It never interfered with my weightloss on plan. I came off plan for a year and put on 2 and a half stone of it and am now back on plan. I've been on plan for 2 weeks and already lost a stone and I fully intend to lose another 10 stone :)

As someone who weighs alot, I get more than 15 syns and it's actually really important you stick to them, not just not going over them but making sure you ARE having them. If you are allowed 15 syns you should try and have them - obviously don't force yourself but don't be afraid to use them. You will find when you get closer to your target those few pounds - stone can be the hardest to get off and if you're already halfing your daily syns allowed, when it comes to then, you'll potentially find it harder as you'd have to allow yourself even less and if you'll find had you of stuck to 15 syns now, when it came to that time, you could then go to say 8-10 syns and do a few SP days and that would give you an extra boost. This is of course just my experience but my old consultant would say this religiously to new members. I even find the days I eat more of my syns I have a better loss but that's just me.

Also, if I can give you any other bit of advice, don't compare your loss to anyone elses. Your journey may take twice as long than mine or half the time. Everyone is different and every body is different, they do say slow and steady win the race so even if you're just losing 1lbs, it's important to remember it's not just "only 1 lbs" it's another pound closer to your target and if you keep taking steps forward no matter how big or small, you WILL get to your goal :)

Best of luck on your journey sweetheart x

Aww Kayteloo, you are still an inspiration! You've done it once, so you can do it again! and it certainly sounds like your heads in the right place, which is half the battle won....
I've just come back from weigh in and I lost 3 lb, i'm pretty happy with that, so I got in a silly state about nothing.... I really do need to stop weighing myself at home!
I liked what you said about remembering that no matter what the scales say, we're eating healthier and cleaner than before...I've definitely been sleeping better this week and I found i've had more energy. So that's something to be chuffed about!
'you are more than a number on a scale'.... you're so right! Must stop letting that number define my worth x

Thankyou all for your stories and tips girls...lots of inspiration and positivity to help me here...Your losses have been amazing! Feeling much happier and motivated now thanks to you lovely lot :) Best of luck to you all....and I will take your excellent advice of using more syns....sounds good to me! I won't argue with that :rolleyes: xx

3lb is ace, so well done - every lb is a step in the right direction, so you should be well chuffed with yourself.

As for syns, get them down you!! I recommend 42g of Galaxy Minstrels. They are 10.5 syns and they make me sooooooooooooooo happy!

You've totally got this; keep the faith

Back