Doing rather well....

Well, I must be around 6 or so weeks in now and I’ve been 100%. Proper 100%. Not strayed once. I actually skipped the ‘add a meal’ week as I didn’t see the point. I’m hard core. And, to be perfectly honest, I haven’t found it particularly tough. Sometimes, I’ll pop into Sainsbury’s and find myself stroking a Cornish Pasty (weird, as I don’t much like Cornish Pasties) and, very occasionally, I’ll wonder whether drinking half a bottle of vodka wouldn’t ‘knock me out of ketosis’ if I simply put it away with Coke Zero, but, I somehow manage to overcome such foolish notions and carry on with my foodless life.

It’s put a little stress on my fiancé, because I can’t attend social functions and I sometimes have to lie to people as to why I can’t go to things that involve food. It isn’t, by the by, because I couldn’t face sitting round a table with people who are eating, but I would despise being the centre of attention, and having to put up with continuous sentiments such as: “oooh, I feel so bad that I’m sat here scoffing all this lovely food whilst all you have is that little cup of water and that horrible, rather stale-looking oat bar thingy….” and: “oh, surely it can’t be good for you to only be drinking milkshakes three times a day and…” so on and on. It always gets worse, too, because they start adding-in their stupid stories about how they lost weight and how they have some super-morbidly obese distant aunt who has a friend of a friend who did “something similar” and lost 28 stone over a bank holiday weekend or something. And you have to listen to it all and pretend to be interested. Hate it.

Back in September, I was 22 stones and about a pound. By this coming weekend, I expect to be 19 stone (at the time of writing this, I’m 19.4). My target is to be 16-something by Christmas, and then do my last 3-4 stone straight after. I have already thrown clothes away, including three hoodies which are just stupidly massive on me now and three pairs of jeans which just fall down when I put them on. I was about a 42inch waist; I bought a 38inch earlier today and fit into them easily. I seem to have settled on losing 5ibs a week. I’m male, 33.

In the weeks before I started doing this, things weren’t good. However, when you’re 22 stone, they’re usually not. Most worryingly, I was showing every sign in the book of Type 2 diabetes. Shock horror. Needing to pee a-plenty in the night (was sometimes getting up three times); aching legs and feet; thirsty all the time; a dry mouth, itchy gen…. the lot. I was, indeed, a little scared. Very early on in Sep, I was taking a class (I’m an English teacher, by the way) and, for no reason whatsoever, started to get an unbelievable pain in my left foot. Just like that. Lasted several days. Nevertheless, I never went to the Dr about any of this. Simply started on this. I mean, whether he had carried out a test that confirmed T2 diabetes or not, I would have embarked on this diet with or without his/her ‘approval.’ I mean, I didn’t need to see a dr to tell me that I needed to lose weight. Anyway, within about, well, a week, of starting on Exante, the symptoms went. Entirely. And I mean, entirely.

However, in Feb/March 2013, once I’ve got down to a reasonable weight, I intend to go to the dr and have some blood tests to find out whether I am diabetic. As some of you might be aware, there is some evidence that a VLCD can entirely reverse T-2 symptoms, but others argue that once you have it, you have for life. Much like gonorrhoea really. Anyway, for those who’ve just started on this diet, don’t become one of those people who do it for three days before just giving up. It does get easier. And it does work. Honest.

What a great story to read before starting tomorrow, you have done so well so far I hope I too have the same success. Look forward to reading more as your journey continues.

Hi Laughingbean. I love the way you lay it out there. I also feel completely the same way about social functions. Well done on sticking so far, my husband has just started this too, he knew I wasn't stopping so opted to join me which is great. He's starting at a 42" waist too but isn't weighing himself. He has a rail full of gorgeous jackets he wants to wear again and some 34" jeans to get into. Only just started week 3 so I've quite a way to go but as long as we stay 100% it can't fail. Enjoy the journey.

thankyou for a really inspiring post, im hoping to start in the next few days when my packs arrive, so really lovely to see the diet works. good luck and hope you meet your goals for christmas, im sure you will your doing fantastically xx

laughingbean thats just what I needed to read especially when I am on day 4 and found myself almost craving solid food! I'm not hungry, I'm bored I know I am. How can I be hungry when my stomach is full of water and shakes? anyway I came on here instead of stuffing my face.

I'm glad I did

Feeling a lot better today - in more of a positive mind-set to start the week out!

day 5, I'm going to march on with this. If all else fails.... I'm heading to bed as soon as I finish work :) I hope it doesn't come to this though. I might go for a long walk when I get home to try and get some exercise in

I'd say go for a run ... but that won't happen, it's too miserable outside for a run! and a run will only last 5 mins haha so it will def be a walk

Great post lb! Agree that once one sets one's mind to it it becomes easier. This is my 2nd time on, first time lost 2 3/4 stone in 10 weeks then been trying off and on. To the ones just starting, liek I am no I remember it definitely gets easier after the first week or two - there's partly the physical craving and partly the psych one and both start to go i the 2nd week I seem to remember. Whe I came off before after my scheduled 10 weeks I wasn't really that keen on eating, still one and a half years on I've put back 1 stone and a couple of pounds of the weight I lost and I'm aiming to get down to my origina; target if I can foit around business trips, parties, xmas etc, but I recall once you're in the groove it becomes alot easier. Definitely works if you stick to it though! I'm a 46 year old guy and tend to cheat a little (never really over 800 calories though). Also if you have the dd bite through there's less need I think for the one in four weeks off. Fingers crossed for hte 2nd run - at the end of day three and feeling the headaches at the moment

Hey, how are you all doing? I'm a returning Exante-er currently on Day 2 after FINALLY getting over the hump that was Day 1 after many maaaany maaaaaaaaany attempts. Feels good to be getting some willpower back :)

Hi Sam,
that difficilt week one now over. I found tough for the first 5 days then my energy boost kicked in on thursday and I've felt great since. Still a long way to go but made the first hurdle ;-)
cheers P

Hi Sam,
that difficilt week one now over. I found tough for the first 5 days then my energy boost kicked in on thursday and I've felt great since. Still a long way to go but made the first hurdle ;-)
cheers P

You're doing well :)

I agree. It really does work, seven stone gone for ever. Now addicted to buying size 10-12 clothes.

GSQ.

Back