Doing SW without the books and on a tight budget..is it possible?

Mauve

Hi everyone!

I'm still in the process of umming and arring over which SW group to join. One huge issue for us is the cost :eek: Whenever I've been to SW before, I've bought the latest books and it's cost quite a lot of money. And then of course they bring out another syns books and I have to have that otherwise I feel like I might go horribly wrong....

I wonder if anyone else is doing SW without all the paraphernalia? Or even without going to groups?

I know that going to group is a great way to get support, but I'm thinking this site has it all anyway! :) And the weekly fees are much needed for other things as we're hoping to move house at some point soon (once ours has sold..).

All views on this would be welcomed, I'd be interested to know if anyone else is doing SW on the cheap?

TIA

Mauve.

Honestly, I got the 2012 pack and in the end I only really use Food Optimising. Body Magic is helpful, but there is nothing I didn't already know. You should be alright, I was for the 2 and a half weeks before I got the books. Just ask around here and I am sure someone will help you, people have been helpful to me.

Hi

I just use the book I got when I joined (left class after about 6 weeks as huge class which I didn't like). You dont need any other books. There are loads of great recipes on here and advice on this website. I just calculate my syns with rule of thumb as 20cal is 1 syn - most websites have nutritional value of fav snacks. Im loosing nice and slowly (I used to feel pressure to lose weight quicly as was paying for class) so hoping it will stay off. Im using the money I save from class to go and do exercise classes instead to help me get the bod I want.

There is the 2012 book out but looking at MIL it hasnt really changed that much so I just annotated from stuff I found on threads.

MIL gets the slimming world magazine which is really good. She does get it cheaper in group but you can subscribe and get it for only about 30p more

I do it on a budget, to get my superfree in I tend to use frozen veg for main meals and things like bananas or carrot sticks with brekkie or lunch.

I agree with everyone else. I went to class for six weeks then decided to invest in set scales and do it myself. Also on a budget and key for me, which I have only just learned, is to plan ahead. Do list for shopping and stick to it. Use food ideas from here and make sure your organised as much as can be. Good luck

If your books have the extra easy plan in then I would say have a crack at doing it from home. Thats what I was going to do, but my books were from about 3 years ago, and when I looked at the books from a friend from work I noticed they were quite different now. I joined class just to go for a few weeks to get up to date books, but I enjoy going and so have kept going.

So, give it a shot I would say, but if you do decide you would like to go to class, just take the money for the class and no more. That way, if you want a book, then you have a full week to decide if you really need it. Plus, as has already been said, there are loads of recipes on here.

Good luck, whatever you do :)

I do slimming world from home too. I have never done it before, but feel with books off ebay and the support on here im fine.

I have a set of scales that stay the same place in the bathroom, and make sure i weigh my self every monday morning.

I find that noting down a food diary helps me, i have one on here and one i write down and keep in my handbag, so i can write it all down.

I decided not to go to a class, one for confience reasons and 2 the cost. So the money i saved i got the food optermising book, and looked on here at the internet for hexb and hexa and free foods, then just wrote them down.

I have been doing SW for just over a month, and still going strong.

Good luck.

x

To be honest there is such a wealth of information on the Internet (obviously this being the best site of course) that you could easily do it at home if you're committed enough I reakon. The amounts of recipes on here is incredible you needn't buy one cookbook. As for syn values, I bet most have been asked already so just do a search or use the 20cal=1 syn rule for non free food items. The only thing I would probably invest in would be the starter book just so you can get your head around the plan, I'd probably look on EBay for one!

After saying all this, I personally NEED the weekly weigh ins at my group to keep me on the straight and narrow plus the support I get from my C which is amazing and is what motivates me!

Good luck with what you decide.

I also use the 20cal=1 syn rule as a basic guide when buying food, it's close enough when you cannot check on the website.
I go to class as our consultant is very supportive and you can always contact her, even when she's on holiday!
It's good to talk to other members and can offer help or try to work out what to eat, share recipes and try different foods on a "tester" night, also the latest news from SW. The books are useful but I find a lot of repeat recipes but after getting the started pack then you can do SW without any other books

If I knew how to use my scanner I would scan in the few important pages where the HEXA and HEXB are for you, but I have never been able to get it to work lol. Having said that, its probably breaking copywrite laws so maybe not lol

It is possible to do it without attending a group each week but to be honest it depends on what kind of person you are. For myself, I know that if I didn't go every week and have someone else weigh me instead of just weighing myself, I'd probably cheat. So I go to group because it keeps me on track. And also because now all the girls are friends and I love attending, even for the social aspect. So. It depends what you are like and what you are looking for IMO! :)

I have just started following the SW plan again but without going to the classes as I couldn't afford them and at first I felt lost as I didn't have an up to date food directory but over the past couple of days I've found that anything I've been looking for I can find it on here! I have also started writing down everything I eat as I find it keeps me on track. Good luck with it :)

I did sw from home before I got pregnant with my son but dud it with a few people at work. We would weigh in at boots once a week (same time each week) like it was class. The scales are near exact to sw & you get a printout with bmi & body fat % which I liked as I could compare week by week & I wasn't jumping on the scales at home mid week! So I'd recommend weighing somewhere like boots as a routine unless you have really accurate scales already, & enough self control to only weigh in once a week! X

lanugowife said:
I did sw from home before I got pregnant with my son but dud it with a few people at work. We would weigh in at boots once a week (same time each week) like it was class. The scales are near exact to sw & you get a printout with bmi & body fat % which I liked as I could compare week by week & I wasn't jumping on the scales at home mid week! So I'd recommend weighing somewhere like boots as a routine unless you have really accurate scales already, & enough self control to only weigh in once a week! X

I go to a class to make sure I stay on track but the idea of weighing at boots and getting a print out is brilliant.
My consultant said that sw want all classes to begin at 7:30, if they change my class to this I won't be able Togo as that's my sons bedtime. So I'll definitely start weighing at boots.
What a great idea

Our class has been changed to 7.30pm and it is causing so many problems for most of the group. I am really annoyed as both my partner and I have paid for a 12 week countdown and now we can no longer attend the same class which is ironic as we were voted "couple of the year!"

After much discussion and us going our seperate ways to different weigh-ins I have decided that either we do this together at the same class even if we both change groups or we both stop going which will be a shame.

Back