Don't you just hate it when....

DYJHIW everyone is looking forward to the Bank Holiday, but you don't get one as you work for a bank...x

Rach*B said:
DYJHIW everyone is looking forward to the Bank Holiday, but you don't get one as you work for a bank...x

Or a hospital :(

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

My daughter was never given work to do & I know she didn't as I had to attend school every time she was exculded, I suppose some schools differ.
I would have thought they would have been supposed to set work as otherwise like you say it is just going to be a day off school and most of the time if you have a child thats being excluded they are going to enjoy not going to school! My son has been set work and hubby is going to be at home with him today and make him do it.....Good Luck to him with that!
I do feel exclusion is so that schools can abdicate responsibility. Not all children can handle school, and I feel it's less about learning and more about scoring for the school to the detriment of the child.
My son was clearly showing signs of stress due to pressure at school, yet the teachers kept phoning and asking if we had problems at home, cheeky beggars! I told them straight one more phone call and I will pull him out of the accelerated programme and he can catch up at College...oooh guess what? No more calls!!!!
Wish there was something I could tell them straight and put a stop to all this!

My daughter was never given work to do & I know she didn't as I had to attend school every time she was exculded, I suppose some schools differ.

I do feel exclusion is so that schools can abdicate responsibility. Not all children can handle school, and I feel it's less about learning and more about scoring for the school to the detriment of the child.
My son was clearly showing signs of stress due to pressure at school, yet the teachers kept phoning and asking if we had problems at home, cheeky beggars! I told them straight one more phone call and I will pull him out of the accelerated programme and he can catch up at College...oooh guess what? No more calls!!!!

They do get work, or at least they should get work to do at home. They are also supposed to not be 'out and about' in public - ie they are supposed to be at home and/or supervised by a parent/carer/relative etc.,to do that work. I can't remember the exact times, but I think it is in school hours - that would make sense. The parents should get a letter advising them of that. I presume it's a national procedure. (At least that is how it works at the high school where I work - from memory I think Emsie's son is at primary? but I would have thought it is similar)
Yes, he is, well remembered! He has been given work and at some point we will be given a letter etc but I guess some schools wouldn't actually do what they are supposed to do!

You work 9-5:30 and your colleague works 8:30-5 yet everytime you get in early you realise your colleague does NOTHING in the space of 8:30-9. Well, that's a lie, she makes herself tea, breakfast, does the rounds of chatting to everyone, catches up with her daughters on the phone and ignores any calls. Oh and doesn't even have her computer on until 9.

Lazy mo fo. I would love to do 8:30 starts but because she digs her heels in it's never gonna happen. Hurry up and retire for goodness sake.

And while I'm at it, stop eating when you do actually take a call! You can hear that your mouth is lodged with food ya know? In fact, stop bloody eating all day! Never known someone to continuously eat. How can you have a lunch break and feel the need to then eat crisps, fruit and another bacon and egg roll straight away?! Jeez woman!

As a Support Worker!
Ahhh I remember the days of never getting the Friday feeling like others or bank hols etc but there are things I miss now despite all the hols etc I do get I can't book them off when I want and I don't get the odd day to myself and don't get bank hol pay(though I realise not everyone who does work it gets it either) Its always rammed everywhere and things are more expensive in the main hols as well! ;) Hope you all have some holidays coming your way soon x

*Emsie* said:
Ahhh I remember the days of never getting the Friday feeling like others or bank hols etc but there are things I miss now despite all the hols etc I do get I can't book them off when I want and I don't get the odd day to myself and don't get bank hol pay(though I realise not everyone who does work it gets it either) Its always rammed everywhere and things are more expensive in the main hols as well! ;) Hope you all have some holidays coming your way soon x

The next bank holiday I shall be on holiday in Wales!!!

Welshtigger said:
Where in Wales??

Rhosfach Clynderwyn ...Pembrokeshire I think!
It's my first time to Wales and I'm driving, longest journey for me too 4.5 hrs.

Me and my mate are packing the car with craft stuff and walking boots and we're just going to craft, walk and eat! Maybe chat a bit!

Shirleen said:
Rhosfach Clynderwyn ...Pembrokeshire I think!
It's my first time to Wales and I'm driving, longest journey for me too 4.5 hrs.

Me and my mate are packing the car with craft stuff and walking boots and we're just going to craft, walk and eat! Maybe chat a bit!

Aww, that's lovely :) the oh's family live in Pembs so we spend quite a bit of time there. It's such a lovely place

Really? I always thought it was a standard procedure! Although I'll admit it isn't something I get directly involved in - just what I've picked up from the sidelines, so to speak. It seems crazy NOT to give them work to do though.

Hmmm, I have to say that my personal views don't always agree with the official school line, although I have seen some exclusions where it has been absolutely necessary for the safety of other pupils and staff. Every case is different and should be taken on its merits, although I do think it's crazy that there isn't a more standard implemented procedure for allocation for work when there has been an exclusion made. I'm gonna have to know now - when I go back after the hols I shall have to find out, even though it's nothing really to do with me!

Last edited:
DYJHIW the sh!tty week you have had so far has left you with piggy eyes and a massive boil type spot just under one eye. Move over Quasimodo!

and...

when the lack of sleep and everything else means that this morning you put the milk back in the fridge door - except you didn't - you let go of it before you reached the shelf, and you hadn't even put the lid back on. A litre of milk all over the kitchen floor - just what I needed. :sigh:

It's the last day at work before the bank holidays and the clock is going soooooo slowly...

Back