Do's and Dont's - Xenical

Sass

Silver Member
I have been posting on the slim fast forums for a while, but i came across this great sub section the other day.

Anyway i'm after abit of advice really. I was prescribed Xenical by my doc in feb, i wasn't told anything about staying below a certain fat intake per day/meal so when i came here and read a few post about the subject i became a little concerned i have been doing it all wrong.

Okay so i'm also on slim fast which of course is low fat but i have a 600cal dinner. i have been having some ww ready meals, salad with tuna or some sort of fish, my meal is of course a healthy one but it seems i always get the fatty stools. I was kinda led to believe that this was okay and that it just meant the pills are doing there job but it seems that if i am having these sort of motions then i'm taking in to much fat ??? i'm very confused as to what i can and cant have right now.

I didn't really get much food advice from my doc or my dietician that i went to see also last week. So you guys are my only hope on information as to the best way to put these pills to their best use.

Oily fish will also do it. Xenical does not unfortunately differentiate between good fats and bad fats. So oil fish like salmon, mackerel, herring, sardines etc while full of healthy omegas 3 and 6, will obviously be a higher percentage of fat, and therefore you will get orange oily stools when you eat them whilst on xenical.
Basically while on Xenical you need to keep your fat to no more than 15g/per meal, and all food should be 5% fat ( 5g of fat for every 100g of food product)
x

The foods you are eating are not "no fat", so there will always be oily stools... this is totally normal, it is your body getting rid of the extra fat that you have taken in.

The foods you are eating are not "no fat", so there will always be oily stools... this is totally normal, it is your body getting rid of the extra fat that you have taken in.

Greeneyes I have had no oily stools whatsoever.No one has said here that the food you eat while on Xenical has to be fat free. The makers of Xenical recommend that you eat a diet that is low fat, as in the food you eat is no more than 5% fat, and that the total amount of fat in each meal should be no more than 15g. They also recommend that you eat no more than 50g of fat per day.
If you eat a low fat diet while on Xenical you should have no side effects whatsoever.

Thanks for your replies ladies, i think then that i must be having to much fat in my evening meal then as i was having the dreaded oily stool, i'm not sure what to do about that though as i am being very careful with my evening meal, but maybe i need to calculate the fat instead of trusting that because its weight watchers i will be fine, also i really enjoy my fish of any kind so do you ladys think it would do me much harm to have these things as they are still good for you.

Sass I would steer clear of oil fish like salmon, but white fish is fine ( well as long as you don't fry it lol :D)
Do you plan your meals, or are you a decide just as you're about to cook kinda girl? I seem to plan in the morning what I'm going to have. So in the morning I'll write out my food diary and more or less stick to what I've planned.
ETA Weight Watchers stuff are great, BUT you do need to check the labels, because some WW stuff is over the 5% fat

Hi alibalibee, yep i'm kind of a what do i fancy for dinner girl lol, i don't plan my meal in the morning. I have got lost of frozen fish that i tend to oven cook but when i first started my diet before i was on Xenical that is i used to eat a lot of fresh smoked Mackerel with a salad hmmmm yum yum. I am having a better week this week in terms of oily stools so maybe i'm doing it better this week.

The other thing i find hard on these pills is that before on them i tried to cut of a lot of carbs but when my doc gave me xenical she said swap fats for carbs. Has anyone tried to lower cab intake and fat at the same time and if so what sort of meals would you have ?

I think for me carbs go with everything and are in everything. but its hard to put a low carb meal together that is also within the fat limit, maybe i'm making it to complicated for myself, shopping for that evening meal in a right royal pain in the **** god knows what i would do if i had to shop for my breakfast and my lunch lol

Oily fish will also do it. Xenical does not unfortunately differentiate between good fats and bad fats. So oil fish like salmon, mackerel, herring, sardines etc while full of healthy omegas 3 and 6, will obviously be a higher percentage of fat, and therefore you will get orange oily stools when you eat them whilst on xenical.
Basically while on Xenical you need to keep your fat to no more than 15g/per meal, and all food should be 5% fat ( 5g of fat for every 100g of food product)
x
i stopeed xenical coz i felt asthough id av a accident everytime i went out is this normal ?
and i never eat anything high fat ?
help please anybody ?

The first few weeks of taking Xenical, I was always terrified of having an accident even though I was following a low fat diet ( and keeping a food diary, reading labels making sure it was all less than 5% fat). But once I realised that as long as I stuck to low fat, was honest about what I wrote in my food diary I realised that I would have no side effects. And in almost a year I have had none. For me personally, because I felt this was my *last chance*, was realising that if I cheated and had too much fat, then I would have the side effects, but also that the only one I was cheating was myself.

Sarah, if you were sticking to low fat then I very much doubt you would have had any side effects :)
x

I know myself that i can assume ( i assume it to be healthier than what i used to have) when really its still over what the recommended intake of fat is whilst on Xenical. Its all about learning what foods you should and shouldn't have and your bound to have a period like me where your getting used to how it all works so don't give up just yet, maybe give yourself another week and try to really be careful with that fat :)

In my first weeks i though i was not doing anything wrong and like you i was still having the bad loo episodes and this week i have been much more aware of my fat intake and yep my loo episodes have been fine.

Thanks for your replies ladies, i think then that i must be having to much fat in my evening meal then as i was having the dreaded oily stool, i'm not sure what to do about that though as i am being very careful with my evening meal, but maybe i need to calculate the fat instead of trusting that because its weight watchers i will be fine, also i really enjoy my fish of any kind so do you ladys think it would do me much harm to have these things as they are still good for you.
Ive got to work, And here is what ive come up with. Here is a list of ALL the Fish that are oily very oily or high in fat. Hope this is a help for you.

Ive got to work, And here is what ive come up with. Here is a list of ALL the Fish that are oily very oily or high in fat. Hope this is a help for you.
Salmon
Trout
Mackerel
Herring
Sardines
Pilchards
Kipper
Eel
Whitebait
Tuna (fresh only) (not in sunflower oil) canned ok
Anchovies
Swordfish
Bloater
Cacha
Carp
Hilsa
Jack fish
Katla
Orange roughy
Pangas
Sprats

Thanks stvncch,

I don't really like fish all that much but I don't mind some like lemon sole, haddock etc. Which aren't on the list

Yay! :)

I noticed in W H Smiths that there is an Alli diet book - full of recipes and ideas that might be a good place to start - I didn't get and dietary advice when I was prescribed Xenical - and then the doctor wonders why I went away bemused and not understanding what to do!
PS Alibalibee - your photos are FANTASTIC I bet you are thrilled, was this as a result of just being careful with what you have been eating?
x

might be going to see about that book, sounds like it could be interesting

Kes if you would like that book i have it and dont use/need it so i could let you have it (free of course) i can just post it to you xx

kiira that would be brill!! Thankyou!!

thanks Piink!!

Back