Dreading holiday in June to the point of wanting to cancel now.

angieanguk

I have never been so big in my entire life - 20 stone. I am so ashamed of myself that I am looking to cancel our holiday booked for June. I won a trip to Hawaii visiting 3 different islands. Part of the prize is a helicopter tour as sunset and I need to give weights of myself and hubby but have put it off til now. I also won a trip to NY last November and although the seat belt did up etc. the laptray didn't go all the way down and I just felt uncomfortable most of the time. This new holiday is a beach one so I cant hide under layers of clothing. My hubby supports me whatever my size but I have lost all confidence and not sure what to do with this hol.

I am going to calorie count and have numerous exercise dvds at home along with a gym membership which hasn't seen the light of day for months. But going to the gym at this size I feel too self-conscious. I just don't know if I can get into any kind of shape between now and June. Well I know I can lose it but not to the point where I wont feel self-conscious in the pool etc.

Has anyone managed to lose a considerable amount through diet and exercise - I am not looking to go down the vlcd route (been there done that) but rather through healthy eating/exercise.

Any advice would be very welcome. TIA

Oh wow Hawaii is so exciting. Somewhat ironically a trip to Hawaii is my reward to myself when I get to goal!

I've been losing weight for 5 months, starting on Atkins, and then just before Xmas I moved to cc. I've lost nearly 5.5 stone in total. I'm much bigger than you, so I would estimate it would be possible for you to lose 3 stone by June, potentially even close to 4 stone. So I completely think its doable for you to feel better about yourself for your holiday

If you look at my diary, about a week ago I posted some things I learnt around cc. I won't repeat myself, but number 1 is don't set calories too low, and number 2 is don't deprive yourself.

You need a calorie deficit of 3500 to lose 1 lb. So exercising can help, but the biggest loss will come from counting what you are eating.

Check out My fitness pal if you haven't already. This is a great way to log your food, and see how many calories you burnt with exercise.

Also to add, the Polynesia people are one of the most overweight ethnicities in the world. So even if you still feel big, you won't stand out.

Good luck x x

Please don't cancel your trip. If I were in your shoes I would use the trip as motivation to get losing. The sooner you start, the sooner you will be losing.

My diet of choice is Slimming world. I just love it. You can sandpaper off weight whilst stuffing your face and all the fresh healthy foods will make you feel a million dollars, plus you will make new friends along the way if you join a group.

Like Buffy, I would estimate that 3 stone is achievable by June.

Of course, if you decide you don't want the holiday I'd be happy to do the right thing and go in your place o_O

Oh wow Hawaii is so exciting. Somewhat ironically a trip to Hawaii is my reward to myself when I get to goal!

I've been losing weight for 5 months, starting on Atkins, and then just before Xmas I moved to cc. I've lost nearly 5.5 stone in total. I'm much bigger than you, so I would estimate it would be possible for you to lose 3 stone by June, potentially even close to 4 stone. So I completely think its doable for you to feel better about yourself for your holiday

If you look at my diary, about a week ago I posted some things I learnt around cc. I won't repeat myself, but number 1 is don't set calories too low, and number 2 is don't deprive yourself.

You need a calorie deficit of 3500 to lose 1 lb. So exercising can help, but the biggest loss will come from counting what you are eating.

Check out My fitness pal if you haven't already. This is a great way to log your food, and see how many calories you burnt with exercise.

Also to add, the Polynesia people are one of the most overweight ethnicities in the world. So even if you still feel big, you won't stand out.

Good luck x x

Thank you so much Buffy - I know I am being daft and cutting off my own nose by not going. I am going to do a shop tonight of all healthy foods and lots of fruit and veg - I love veg so this wont be a hardship. I hope you do get to Hawaii - the scenery looks amazing - I was just worried about being round the pool and being stared at. Total loss of confidence is causing my doubts but I am going to give it my best xxx

Please don't cancel your trip. If I were in your shoes I would use the trip as motivation to get losing. The sooner you start, the sooner you will be losing.

My diet of choice is Slimming world. I just love it. You can sandpaper off weight whilst stuffing your face and all the fresh healthy foods will make you feel a million dollars, plus you will make new friends along the way if you join a group.

Like Buffy, I would estimate that 3 stone is achievable by June.

Of course, if you decide you don't want the holiday I'd be happy to do the right thing and go in your place o_O
Thank you Jules x 3 stone would at least make me more comfortable - I know its not where I want to be but then again I need to stop wallowing in self pity and be grateful for the chance I have got to travel. Some people would give their eye teeth for this trip and here's me worried about my size. xx

I second Ponytales with Slimming World. It's the one weight loss programme that's actually worked for me in the long term as it's so easy to follow and when you first start you usually get pretty quick results. It took me about 3 months to lose 2 stone but I reckon that if you stuck with it (assuming it's a plan you got on with) you could easily lose 3-4 stone by June. I've seen some people lose over half a stone in their first week and continue having good losses after that.

Hawaii sounds like the trip of a lifetime, I hope you don't cancel it. A colleague of mine won a trip out there and said it was the best experience of her life and you've got plenty of time to lose some weight to get ready for it :) You can do it!!

Please don't cancel ,I'm sure once you've been you will be so glad you didn't! Like others have said, Slimming World is a great way to lose the pounds without feeling deprived. I think you could lose 3 stone by June and the difference you'll feel will be amazing. Enjoy!

The way I see going on holiday is that no one knows you and you will never see any of them again so who cares??

Don't give up and please don't cancel, Hawaii is my dream destination, I would give anything to go there!

Just use the holiday as motivation, it's 5 months away, even losing a lb a week would be a stone and a half off and being a bigger girl (please don't take offence to that xxxx) a lb a week or more should drop off easily xxx

I recommend slimming World as well,but no matter what weight you are, you are loved and worthy and should go and enjoy yourself! You don't have to do the helicopter tour bit if that really bothering you but do the rest. Good luck xxx

Hi Angie, how did you get on? Are you going on your trip? Hope you managed get more comfortable

Back