Dress size dilemma

Katyo

Ooh I had such lovely eve last night - went shopping alone and most importantly child-free, to just mooch about and try on stuff. Bit weird but it's what I do each week to keep me motivated.
Anyway, tried on two dresses that I fell in love with for upcoming xmassy things, both fitted perfectly in size 16. I am expecting to lose about a stone in the next three weeks (in the past that is what I average at) and I tried on the 14's - it can almost do up but squashes my boobs and is a bit too short. In the end I bought one of the dresses in 16 and one in 14 but I want them both! And I want them to fit! Is squeezing into a 14 in a stones time unrealistic? I think that it is usually a stone and a half each dress size, is that right? What are other peoples experiences?
It might be worth mentioning that the dresses are fitted shift type dresses (belted waist, above the knee) and my body shape is hourglass with very well upholstered front and rear!!
By the way, felt so happy in the changing room - it was only 4 wks ago I bought a size 20 black 'sack' dress to - and I quote - 'make me invisible'. Now that's progress!!
Sorry for the rambling post - being succinct is not my forte!!

there is a big difference between a 16 and a 14 you may find the 14 still too tight??? I had bought a dress in a size 20 but don't think it will fit so have bought another dress in a size 22 which I thought would be too big but fits, but i reckon i need to lose a half of stone easily done by the 18th for it too look perfect, a little bit loose but nice :)

Ah I really hope so hunni!

Excercising will help suck everything in...

And well done for getting them both on anyway!!!

Glad you had a nice evening xxx

That's the thing AOGG - I could buy in both sizes and then take back nearer the time the ones that don't fit, but that's 4 dresses!! I really want to fit in the 14's apart from the obvious it will also last a bit longer, so not as much of as a waste of money, but I just can't work out if they will be ok. And if the 16's fit perfectly now, surely they would be too big in a stones less time? I tried the 18 on at first and it made me look bigger than I am, so I don't want that. Humph, its so confusing...
Thanks Lauren, will embark on a hardcore fitness regime - operation -get dress to fit!!

I think that you may feel uncomfortable in the smaller size if they 'Just' fit, if you know what I mean, yes the size 16 might be abit looser but you'll be more comfortable that if you were in the smaller size and they were abit on the tighter side, because when something is tight it can make you look bigger, perhaps if you got some pull yer in underwear that could squeeze you in a couple of inches, I'm only giving my opinion and has no reflection on whether you can lose a stone and a half in the next month :) I'm sure you will do whats right for you in any event but remember it really dosen't matter what the label says as long as it fits you nicely!!!!!!

also I have lost 2 stone and only gone down one dress size so far????

How about getting the 16 in both and then you can get them altered as you shrink so they fit like a glove? And you'll get the wear out of them then.. best of both worlds?

Yes I was going to suggest the same GG! It doesn't cost much to get something taken in if it's too big (or if you are a domestic goddess with a sewing machine you could do it yourself!)

Yes I was going to suggest the same GG! It doesn't cost much to get something taken in if it's too big (or if you are a domestic goddess with a sewing machine you could do it yourself!)

I've become hooked on the USA What not to Wear and they go on all the time about how alteration is the way to go! They are convincing me :)

What a good idea! I'm glad I asked! Thanks muchly xxx

I've lost 33lb and gone from a tight 18 to a loose 14 so must loose dress sizes quite quickly so I'd say if a 14 fits now tight in a stone's time it would be perfect but it depends how quick you lose the dress sizes really xx

I say keep the 14!! It'll be fab motivation for Christmas and also invest in some Spanx pants - the ones that are like cycling shorts to the knee and go up to the bra - I swear by them! They are amazing!!

Well done on the weight loss so far hunni!

xxxx

Thanks Moley and yummy mummy, quick dress update. Went to my sisters yesterday who is a taller thinner version of me and tried on some of her dresses and found one that is just so completely hubba hubba -made me feel bloody gorgeous and I swear it has magical properties or something as I look really quite slim in it!! Well, kind of curvy slim! It is very fitted ( a bit like those Victoria Beckham ones) and fits lovely and because I know it looks great on my sister who is size 14 I know it will still look ok in a stones less time. I will then take back one of the dresses I bought on Fri and swap it for the other size in the other design, that way I will have one new dress in a 14 and a 16 and a borrowed fab dress. Then I can take back the one that doesn't fit and I have only spent half the money. Result. I love it when a plan comes together.....
I feel like Cinderella - I shall go to the ball!!

Thanks Moley and yummy mummy, quick dress update. Went to my sisters yesterday who is a taller thinner version of me and tried on some of her dresses and found one that is just so completely hubba hubba -made me feel bloody gorgeous and I swear it has magical properties or something as I look really quite slim in it!! Well, kind of curvy slim! It is very fitted ( a bit like those Victoria Beckham ones) and fits lovely and because I know it looks great on my sister who is size 14 I know it will still look ok in a stones less time. I will then take back one of the dresses I bought on Fri and swap it for the other size in the other design, that way I will have one new dress in a 14 and a 16 and a borrowed fab dress. Then I can take back the one that doesn't fit and I have only spent half the money. Result. I love it when a plan comes together.....
I feel like Cinderella - I shall go to the ball!!

fantastic :) xxxx

Brilliant!

Lol excellent I was trying to reply to this thread yesterday n my iPhone wouldn't log me in aaarrrgghh! Glad it's worked out though enjoy looking fab n reaping the rewards n compliments of all ur hard work xx

Thanks hun xx

Back