Dress sizes

evilpenguin

Not evil at all
Hi guys

As you can tell from my sig my first goal is to get down to a size 24 jeans, I can take anything from an 18 - 26 in tops but am size 26 in jeans atm. I don't know what I weighed when I was a size 24, but I'm wondering how much weight you had to lose to drop a dress size? I tried on a pair of 24's earlier and they feel like I'm trying to squeeze into a size 8! :(

Well I was a size 24 (bottoms wise) I've dropped 3 st and now fit comfortably into a size 20. So i guess about a stone and a half? My top is a different matter as I'm overly large in the chest area :(

I was still a size 26 when I dropped 2 stone before though, well tbh I didn't actually try on any 24s but I assumed the 26s not falling down meant they still fitted.

I was still a size 26 when I dropped 2 stone before though, well tbh I didn't actually try on any 24s but I assumed the 26s not falling down meant they still fitted.

Well i just skipped size 22 and tightened my belt.

Jeans that fit me are too expensive. It can be really hard to get a short leg in the larger sizes. Apparently there are no short fat people :rolleyes:. (Well I'm not all that short but I have long back and short legs - I'm 5 ft 5 and my legs are about 28inches)

Yeah I think most retailers associate big with tall, and they always seem to associate big with ugly clothes. There's about 2 shops I can go into and actually fit into their clothes, but would give neither of them a 2nd look if other stores stocked bigger sizes. I will be a happy woman the day I'm a size 18 :) seems to be the cut off size for trendy..

Sorry to rant but yeah.. :( sad times.

Roll on size 24!! :D

ive lost 3.5 stones and i have no idea about dress sizes?? most of my tops and trousers are really stretchy and had tie tops, i was buying size 26/28, now i guess im into size 20/22
i think we all get caught up a bit in "size" as we all know no two size 20 is ever the same????crazy clothing people

Hi guys my mum works for sainsburys on their clothes section which is called TU i get my jeans n stuff from there i started as a dress size 22 (was pregnant at the time) now 1&1/2 stone lighter i can fit in to size 18 jeans and 18/20 tops they do short cut jeans regular and long also the jeans i buy are only a tenner! 'bargin' especially as loosing weight get expensive if as your loosing to keep buying clothes!
hope this helps
x x

Oooh good question!! :) I'm a bit perplexed by this myself i must admit.

I've lost nearly two stone and have shrunk out of my 24's but now i'm fitting into a whole range of sizes, anything from 22 to 18!! I think i agree with what Maxine said above, no two sizes are ever the same - depends where you shop :D

One thing i do know is that the smaller the size, the smaller the gap between each size. For example the gap shirinking from a size 14-12 would mean loosing less inches than from a 24-22 (i hope that makes sense? lol)

Either way, keep up the good work and i'm sure you'll drop a dress size in no time x

Hi there. I'll tell you what gets my goat, pyjama bottoms! All mine are about 31 inches long maybe more and i could fit almost 2 legs into each one!:mad: Not that my legs are slim, they're just so baggy (the jamas, not my legs!;)). lol

What i find is the the bottoms are baggy, which I don't mind but the tops are far too tight.

I have found it to be two stone = one dress size. However, I also have read that there is a bigger gap between sizes over a size 18 than those under a size 18. So in theory: I have lost four stone, taking me from a size 24 to a size 20. I should lose another two stone to get to a size 18 and then one stone to get to a 16, another to get to a 14 and another to get to a 12. That sounds about right to me

This is true- I weigh a lot and struggled into a size 26 top last week as my breasts are quite large. My knickers are size 18-20 and fit :eek:
I put weight on my tummy. I hate my apple crossed with hourglass shape!

Hah this is so like me!! I think most of my fat goes to my boobs first!

Thanks for all your help guys. Kind of know how much weight I need to lose to get to my ideal size now! I got a new pair of jeans this week size 26, they'll need a belt but I'm not quite a 24 yet! Getting there :)

Gap in Sizes

Oooh good question!! :) I'm a bit perplexed by this myself i must admit.

I've lost nearly two stone and have shrunk out of my 24's but now i'm fitting into a whole range of sizes, anything from 22 to 18!! I think i agree with what Maxine said above, no two sizes are ever the same - depends where you shop :D

One thing i do know is that the smaller the size, the smaller the gap between each size. For example the gap shirinking from a size 14-12 would mean loosing less inches than from a 24-22 (i hope that makes sense? lol)

Either way, keep up the good work and i'm sure you'll drop a dress size in no time x

Hi Ladies,

I think Crazy Becky is not so crazy.

After I read what she wrote about "gap differences" I started to think (it hurt a bit but I did it anyway.) It seemed to take me forever to lose a dress size (and even longer to go down a size in jeans) when I was doing LL last year -- but once I started dropping sizes, the sizes changed much more quickly as I became smaller.

So, I looked it up -- here is what I learned:

UK size 8 = bust 32in, waist 25, hips 35
UK size 10 = b 33.5, w 27, h 1.5
Difference in one size: b 1.5, w 2, h 1.5

UK size 22 = bust 44, waist 38.5, hips 46.5
UK size 24 = b 46, w 41, h 48.5
Difference in one size: b 2, w 2.5, h 2

And, larger sizes have those lovely flowing designs that make you look even heavier -- so there is probably even more leeway.

Becky you need to change your name to "not so crazy Becky" or "crazylikeafoxBecky".

MM

I think it can really depend on your body shape as much as anything. Trouser and skirt sizes are largely determined by waist measurements and top sizes by bust measurements so it depends if you lose slowly or quickly in those areas.

My journey through weight and dress size change has been very erratic and seems to have no logic at all. The weird thing is that I sometimes seem to change dress size almost overnight which is clearly daft. At the start of LL I lost tons of weight but there was a period of about 8 weeks where my waist didn't change at all and then suddenly I lost about three inches - very odd.

Last edited:
Hi Ladies,

I think Crazy Becky is not so crazy.

After I read what she wrote about "gap differences" I started to think (it hurt a bit but I did it anyway.) It seemed to take me forever to lose a dress size (and even longer to go down a size in jeans) when I was doing LL last year -- but once I started dropping sizes, the sizes changed much more quickly as I became smaller.

So, I looked it up -- here is what I learned:

UK size 8 = bust 32in, waist 25, hips 35
UK size 10 = b 33.5, w 27, h 1.5
Difference in one size: b 1.5, w 2, h 1.5

UK size 22 = bust 44, waist 38.5, hips 46.5
UK size 24 = b 46, w 41, h 48.5
Difference in one size: b 2, w 2.5, h 2

And, larger sizes have those lovely flowing designs that make you look even heavier -- so there is probably even more leeway.

Becky you need to change your name to "not so crazy Becky" or "crazylikeafoxBecky".

MM

Haha!! Brilliant...:8855:

I do have my crazy moments honest :D - i think that my response above was more of a "crazylikeafoxBecky" response LOL

I'm glad we got to the bottom of that anyway :D

Back