Dried Food Calorie Query! HELP!

BrightonMark

Trying... Really Trying.
Hello!

I know this is probably a bit of a stupid question but...

When you see calorie amounts for dried foods like rice, pasta etc, is that calorie count based on the weight of the product dried and then cooked, or the weight after cooking?

I mean for example if there were 100 cals in 50g of rice (obviously not accurate) would that be 50g of the boiled product once it has taken on the water, or if I started with 50g of rice would the end product be 100 cals?

Its making me kind of avoid these things as they are harder to count.

Also is there a way to calculate the cooked weight of dried pasta to avoid overcooking if the cals are based on the cooked weight as I predict they are.

Any help would be great! x

I could be wrong but I've always counted it dry. So for example if 50g of dried rice was 100 cals I would cook 50g of dried rice and eat it all and count it as 100 cals. Like I say this could be completely wrong, but it hasn't done my weight loss any harm.

On the side of most products it gives the dried weight and cooked weight stats. Also on MFP you can sometimes get the result for both.

The dried weight is the most accurate and yes you go by the raw weight regardless of what it weighs cooked :)

Interestingly pasta and rice weigh much more cooked but jacket potatoes weigh less :l

Back