Drink spiked with alcohol... On SS

shazzy_shaz

Silver Member
Quick question, I know it's probably best to avoid social situations with alcohol involved in them but on this occasion it was my little sister's birthday and I drank water all night despite people moaning and trying to get me to drink throughout it!

One of our mutual friends bought me what I was told was a diet coke (which I know we shouldn't have but coke zero wasn't available) however I drank around 150mls up a straw before I realised it wasn't a diet coke.... It was a double vodka and coke! So not only alcohol but full fat coke on top! I immediately felt ill from the sugar of it all and went light headed! I was so upset as for nearly 6 weeks (on thurs) I've been SS/ SS+! and today I've felt hunger and the headaches which went on day 4! I'm so mad at it all and scared about my WI on Wednesday as I just know now that I'm out of ketosis I won't lose now :(

The supposed 'friend' in question was on the Dukan diet which is supposedly mostly protein based from what she said (although she was drinking!?!) and just said 'ohhhh have a treat day' not fully understanding that it's the sugar in the alcohol not necessarily the calories I was gutted about! If i even wanted to cheat Id treat myself to some skinless chicken or an egg!

I'm hoping it won't take me as long to get back in ketosis this time! Does anyone know if my WI is salvageable this week at all? Has anyone else been out of ketosis then managed to get themselves back into it and lose? I'm just so upset at it all! Whatever reason she had in her head why can't people just respect your wishes! I wasn't stopping anyone else drinking.... I just couldn't and didn't want to drink!

Last edited:
shazzy_shaz said:
Quick question, I know it's probably best to avoid social situations with alcohol involved in them but on this occasion it was my little sister's birthday and I drank water all night despite people moaning and trying to get me to drink throughout it!

One of our mutual friends bought me what I was told was a diet coke (which I know we shouldn't have but coke zero wasn't available) however I drank around 150mls up a straw before I realised it wasn't a diet coke.... It was a double vodka and coke! So not only alcohol but full fat coke on top! I immediately felt ill from the sugar of it all and went light headed! I was so upset as for nearly 6 weeks (on thurs) I've been SS/ SS+! and today I've felt hunger and the headaches which went on day 4! I'm so mad at it all and scared about my WI on Wednesday as I just know now that I'm out of ketosis I won't lose now :(

The supposed 'friend' in question was on the Dukan diet which is supposedly mostly protein based from what she said (although she was drinking!?!) and just said 'ohhhh have a treat day' not fully understanding that it's the sugar in the alcohol not necessarily the calories I was gutted about! If i even wanted to cheat Id treat myself to some skinless chicken or an egg!

I'm hoping it won't take me as long to get back in ketosis this time! Does anyone know if my WI is salvageable this week at all? Has anyone else been out of ketosis then managed to get themselves back into it and lose? I'm just so upset at it all! Whatever reason she had in her head why can't people just respect your wishes! I wasn't stopping anyone else drinking.... I just couldn't and didn't want to drink!

There is surely some kind of issue of them spiking your drink!!!! People get prosecuted for that type of thing!!! x

Sent from Jo's iPhone using MiniMins

I know! They all thought it was funny to try and get me drunk despite them seeing me with water all night and explaining countless times about the Cambridge diet and how dangerous it would be for me as I'm (or was) firmly in ketosis then!

How long do you realistically think it should take to get me back into ketosis having previously taken 4 days to get there before? :(

shazzy_shaz said:
I know! They all thought it was funny to try and get me drunk despite them seeing me with water all night and explaining countless times about the Cambridge diet and how dangerous it would be for me as I'm (or was) firmly in ketosis then!

How long do you realistically think it should take to get me back into ketosis having previously taken 4 days to get there before? :(

If you only had a little bit, you might be ok-just get back on plan and drink loads of water.

That's terrible! She had no right to do that, some 'friend' that is!! I've heard u can get back into ketosis more quickly when u come out of it? But I'm not 100% sure? Hope it doesn't affect your WI! gd luck xx

Thanks guys! I knew as soon as i woke up and the faint familiar headache came back... Then the hungry pangs! It felt so alien to experience hunger but I've had 4 litres so far of pure water and a load of iced tea! So fingers crossed! Thanks for your support guys! Xx

Poor you! :hug99:

Don't worry too much - it almost certainly hasn't done much damage. By my calculations, that amount of coke would've had about the same amount of carbs in it as an extra Cambridge shake. If it's affected ketosis (and I actually doubt it has), you'll already have flushed most of the extra carbs out by now.

So... relax, breathe. :) It's not going to affect this week's weigh in or set you back. The thing that made you hungry was just as likely to be the citric acid in the coke as the carb content (that's why Cambridge recommend you steer clear of fizzy drinks, even zero calorie ones, because citric acid is known to give some the munchies).

Don't worry. I think I'd have stern words with that 'friend' though. :mad:

Its unlikely youll be out of ketosis with just one diet coke, its more likely the side effects youre having is down to the alcohol. How totally irresponsible was that, you could have ended up in hospital drinking alcohol, apart from anything else. How on earth someone could even remotely think that was a good idea is shocking.

You can still lose weight if youre not in ketosis, ketosis just helps but even IF you were out of it it shouldnt really affect your weigh in. If I was you, Id lay it on thick with the 'friend' and tell them how ill youve been and how badly its affected your diet (even if they havent). Make them think a bit about what theyve done

Hopefully fingers crossed! I'm just so livid as it wasn't by choice unfortunately starlight it was full fat coke I had but it was around 150/200 mls of the stuff! My mums making cheese toasties right this minute and I can feel my stomach growling and I don't know if I'm tempted by it or not as I'm paranoid about been out of ketosis! I jumped on the scales and I've stayed the same so not a gain yet! I'll do a WI in the morning and if I haven't gained again I can relax!

Starlight said:
it wont matter being full fat or diet the calories are so minimal they wont have an impact, the only problem is the citric acid but realistically you didnt have much. weight loss is down first and foremost to the calorie deficit as opposed to ketosis :)

Oh right! I always thought the CD weight loss was down to ketosis as your body turns to stored fat when there's not enough sugar/ carbs... So does that mean that you'd have the same losses on a DIY VLCD like just eating cracker bread or something along as you ate the same calories on Cambridge? Why would citric acid diet coke affect you then as it's only 1 cal per can and if its calories that cause the weight loss then would it matter and what's great about ketosis afterall?

Oh right! I always thought the CD weight loss was down to ketosis as your body turns to stored fat when there's not enough sugar/ carbs... So does that mean that you'd have the same losses on a DIY VLCD like just eating cracker bread or something along as you ate the same calories on Cambridge? Why would citric acid diet coke affect you then as it's only 1 cal per can and if its calories that cause the weight loss then would it matter and what's great about ketosis afterall?

Ketosis is part of it but if you have the packs and nothing else your calorie deficit is so big you cant fail to lose weight. If you had 500kcals of food then no it wouldnt be the same, your body wouldnt be getting the nutrients it needs, youd be ill and not being in ketosis youd be hungry, tired etc Citric acid is nothing to do with calories, citric acid can knock you out of ketosis. VLCDs work because you have the added advantage of ketosis and the packs give you everything you need nutritionally. DIY VLCDs are very dangerous to start. Personally i think ketosis is almost over rated on these diets, people stress so much over it and realistically if you have a spell out of it youre still going to lose weight, youll probably be hungry and maybe a bit miserable but youre not going to gain weight.

Thanks starlight! You're like a super genius encyclopaedia of knowledge :D I'm feeling abit nauseous like I want to be sick... similar to my first day on CD (last question I promise) could it still be the effects of the alcohol or the hunger I'm experiencing? I've drank my normal 4 litres but it feels like it's just sitting in my stomach and I feel bloated :(

shazzy_shaz said:
Thanks starlight! You're like a super genius encyclopaedia of knowledge :D I'm feeling abit nauseous like I want to be sick... similar to my first day on CD (last question I promise) could it still be the effects of the alcohol or the hunger I'm experiencing? I've drank my normal 4 litres but it feels like it's just sitting in my stomach and I feel bloated :(

I imagine it'll just be hunger. The amount of alcohol was so little that I doubt it'd be that! Hope you're feeling better soon

I think I'm just going to go to bed and hope that whatever it is making me feel this way is gone by the morning... Like it did way back in week one! I had 9lbs weight loss for week 5 but this week lord knows how it's going to turn out lol!

I've read a few horror stories on here about alcohol and ketosis *shivers*

Hope you are feeling better - I really wouldn't worry about the ketosis/not losing weight side of it - 1 coke and some alcohol really shouldn't make that much difference.

When I started CD a medical friend tried explaining it to me in (according to her) simplistic terms. She explained that your body will use the 'easiest" way to fuel itself first - so it will burn food/carbs/sugars etc and glycogen stores first as those are the easiest for it. When that has run out it will start breaking down fat stores.

The process of breaking down the fat stores produces molecules called ketones which are used for energy. The heart muscle and kidneys, for example, prefer ketones to glucose. Most cells, including the brain cells, are able to use ketones for at least part of their energy. But there is one type of ketone molecule, called acetone, that cannot be used and is excreted as waste, mostly in the urine and breath.

When the body is in ketosis the individual tends to feel less hungry, and will probably eat less than he/she might otherwise do. The body switches from being a carbohydrate-burning organism into a fat-burning one. The fat stores become a primary energy source, and the person loses weight. That is why low-carb diets have become popular, and effective, especially among obese people.

Most people, no matter what type of diet they’re eating, will enter a state of ketosis at some point within a 24-hour period e.g. when asleep as ketosis is the result of your body buring fat stores rather than stores of glycogen.

This helped me get my head round ketosis - I'm not sure how "simplified" the explanation is but ti works for me!

Keep going - and lets us know how your weigh in goes

I did the Cambridge Diet 3 years ago and lost 5 stone and the ketostix never showed that I was in ketosis. I did spend the whole 5 months hungry, but it was worth it in the end.... shame I put the 5 stone back on again and am now starting again.

I'm glad you got all the advice you needed. But can I just say what an absolute stupid b***h for putting alcohol in your drink. Who the eff does she think she is?

God that's got me all annoyed, selfish cow! ?

I hope you're ok sweetie, you got good advice and you're still determined, with those how can
You fail?!

(16lbs lighter in 4 weeks)

Back