Drinking alcohol

Berniea

Hi, I have been trying to do the slimming world diet but I am still drinking alcohol and I really am finding it hard to give it up. I don't have a drink problem might I add, I do give it up now and again cos I get fed up with it but it is a part of my life. I don't drink tea, don't drink many fizzy drinks either and I always drink water. I just get bored with other drinks and it doesn't help my other half is drinking and first and foremost I enjoy it!! It chills me out. Some nights I might only have one glass of wine, others I might have two bottles!!! Where I live, it just seems to be the way of life for expats and we have fallen into it.

I am finding I don't want to give it up but I am desperate to lose weight so I am doomed from the start :( I get so annoyed with myself yet still do it.

Is anyone else like that or am I alone?

You are not alone. Having a glass or two of wine is a big part of my social life. OH likes a bottle with dinner & so do I. I try not to drink during the week but he doesn't see the point of going for a meal at weekends & not having wine. His theory is eat want you want when out & be sensible at home. That works for him but I just stay the same weight!
Desperately trying to work out what will suit me. I have tried SW but tended to overeat. Saying "free food" etc is like a red flag to my brain & I know that I am wrong but carry on anyway.

I know exactly how that is!! I soo want to lose weight but I don't want my life to change, at my age as well keep being told it is harder!!! I tried the Paul McKenner once but could get on with it because I have someone else to think of, otherwise it would have been great cos you can drink as much as you like when you like, but most people can't eat just when they are hungry, life dictates :( I am trying on this diet, lost 6 lbs and fell off the wagon now trying to get back on but I do want to drink!!! Suppose I have to decide what I want more!!!!

Hi, I have been trying to do the slimming world diet but I am still drinking alcohol and I really am finding it hard to give it up. I don't have a drink problem might I add, I do give it up now and again cos I get fed up with it but it is a part of my life. I don't drink tea, don't drink many fizzy drinks either and I always drink water. I just get bored with other drinks and it doesn't help my other half is drinking and first and foremost I enjoy it!! It chills me out. Some nights I might only have one glass of wine, others I might have two bottles!!! Where I live, it just seems to be the way of life for expats and we have fallen into it.

I am finding I don't want to give it up but I am desperate to lose weight so I am doomed from the start :( I get so annoyed with myself yet still do it.

Is anyone else like that or am I alone?

Who said you had to give up alcohol to do SW? That's what your syns there for after all! You just need to make sensible choices - go for low syn options like spirits instead of wine, or low alcohol which is lower in syns, or wine spritzers to make your syns go further, or alternate an alcoholic drink with a non-alchoholic one. A bottle of wine is around 24-26 syns and you get 105 syns to play with each week so it's perfectly do-able.

When I drink, I try to have 'low carb monster' with a shot of vodka. It tastes amazing and is low in calories compared to wine. I suppose it would work with any diet energy drink.

I totally agree with the alternating of alcohol with soft drinks too.

I find with a meal, I will ask for a glass of water, and have a sip of wine, then have a sip of water and so on. It makes me appreciate the wine and slows my consumption.

I am low carbing and I can truly say I was not that interested in alcohol before 2006. However, because spirits are more or less zero carb I began to drink vodka - and to my surprise found that, drowned with mixer, it is quite pleasant lol.

BUT - it definitely causes problems, not least because it weakens my willpower. Time and again I would find myself eating after an otherwise perfect dieting day, due to the booze.

So.. three weeks ago I decided, until I am at goal, booze of any kind is OUT. I do like a drink now, perhaps more than I should! We feel deprived when dieting and a drink is a nice treat but it is sabotaging my efforts to lose my regain and I am fed up with this.

Once you make up your mind not to drink it is surpisingly easy to stick with it. It may not make others 'cheat' but it all too often had that effect on me and drinking on an almost empty tum is not at all healthy.

If booze doesn't make you cheat and you don't overdo it, fair enough. But sometimes we overeaters have problems limiting the quantities of just about anything we enjoy!

Same problem here for me. I am doing WW pro points and am using and occasionally going over my weeklies thanks to alcohol.
Again its not a drink problem for me, but a social one for me. I enjoy a glass or two at the end of the day, and recently with two double bank holidays and lots of sunshine it has been harder to resist.
However I do try and stick to vodka and diet coke, and just the odd glass of wine to keep me happy.
I often turn the wine into spritzers and I have cut down the amount I drink.
The other plus side to drinking in moderation is no hangovers!!
However its not easy and one demon I am trying to conquer, so good luck with yours :)

Im not really a short drinker but I do my wine, think I will try the vodka and diet coke though and have a wine now and again!! I think that is the only thing I can do really. It is nice to know I'm not alone, thank you everyone :)

I am like you too, would rather have a glass of wine, but I try to have vodka & diet coke as it is less syns.

Back