Drinking water with lemon helps with weight loss

Ginette

I have been exercising a lot for a week now and I was surprised as I only lost 2lbs and I know that this is a bag of sugar etc. but expected more. When I exercised before I lost much more the only difference being I drank water.

To confirm that water really does help I did an Internet search and came up with a lot of information about how drinking lemon water. This is about 1/2 a lemon in a bottle of water increases weight loss.

I have added the link below and will be starting this as soon as I get the lemons!! It is interesting reading. Anybody else who tries this perhaps can feed back as I will after a week.

Can Lemon Water Help You Lose Weight?

Hi, i.m willing to try this but my weigh ins on tue am. So will try it after that. an report bk a wk later. I.ve been losing 1-2lbs a wk except 4 wk 1 which was 7lbs. It.ll be interesting 2 see the results. Is it just water with lemon,or can i still have my coffee,fruit tea ect? How are u doing it?

I'm going to start this once i've weighed in on Tuesday, want to see what I lose first week without the added lemon, or do I help it along with the lemon drink, decisions decisions... :)

I shall probably start Monday and buy lemons tomorrow. I must have my cup of tea in the morning so will drink lemon juice first and then give it 10 minutes before I drink tea.

I will drink another bottle during the day and keep topping up during exercise.

It will be an interesting experiment as I will not change anything else. If you read the link you will see that some people gave up fizzy drinks. I don't drink any do that won't be a problem. Others added a spoonful of honey to sweeten it. I shall try without it can't be that sour!

People who have tried say it gave them more energy.... I do hope so I will let you know.

Forgot to mention I have breakfast at work about 11 so more than three hours after I get up.

On Saturday and Sunday I don't eat breakfast normally. But I do have a wholemeal roll about 12.30 and then a snack mid afternoon, dinner about 7.30 (after I have done about 30 mins exercise) and a treat in the evenings. Tonight it is banana and ice cream!!

The problem with articles like the one you gave a link to is that they talk about research and studies and uses words like "proven" without saying what the studies were or how to find them, or what the proof is. The only reserarch actually mentioned is the one from Arizona which wasn't actually about lemon juice specifically.

I'm not saying that it doesn't work, I have no idea, but just to be wary of articles like these.

Hi Anna thanks for yor comment. I have to say I also take this into account and use the try with caution approach on many things.

The way I look on this is that lemons are not harmful. I am not going to be drinking just lemon juice and will eat healthily whilst doing this.

Also lemons aren't expensive and are probably less harmfully than products with sweetners in which I also eat.

What have I got to lose trying it..... Apart from weight. I need to drink more water anyhow. I can try it and then judge. Lemons are also good for you in other ways. To me it seems that even if I don't lose any more weight doing it I am adding a healthy ingredient to my diet.

Maybe you should try and then you would know for yourself.

The more people who try it the more we can "research" this (anecdotally of course). I am not suggesting this is done under research conditions. Just a little experiment!

Ginette said:
Hi Anna thanks for yor comment. I have to say I also take this into account and use the try with caution approach on many things.

The way I look on this is that lemons are not harmful. I am not going to be drinking just lemon juice and will eat healthily whilst doing this.

Also lemons aren't expensive and are probably less harmfully than products with sweetners in which I also eat.

What have I got to lose trying it..... Apart from weight. I need to drink more water anyhow. I can try it and then judge. Lemons are also good for you in other ways. To me it seems that even if I don't lose any more weight doing it I am adding a healthy ingredient to my diet.

Maybe you should try and then you would know for yourself.

The more people who try it the more we can "research" this (anecdotally of course). I am not suggesting this is done under research conditions. Just a little experiment!

When I drink hot water and lemon I usually have better losses and my skin looks better too, but I will say it will er ahem clean you through so to speak. Don't be too far from the loo ! ;-)

X Kelly X said:
When I drink hot water and lemon I usually have better losses and my skin looks better too, but I will say it will er ahem clean you through so to speak. Don't be too far from the loo ! ;-)

After reading this idea and comment you've put me off!!!

Ginette said:
I have been exercising a lot for a week now and I was surprised as I only lost 2lbs and I know that this is a bag of sugar etc. but expected more. When I exercised before I lost much more the only difference being I drank water.

To confirm that water really does help I did an Internet search and came up with a lot of information about how drinking lemon water. This is about 1/2 a lemon in a bottle of water increases weight loss.

I have added the link below and will be starting this as soon as I get the lemons!! It is interesting reading. Anybody else who tries this perhaps can feed back as I will after a week.

Can Lemon Water Help You Lose Weight?

Your mentioned that the difference Now was that you aren't drinking as much water as you were before. Certainly if you have increased your exercise you need to increase your wiser intake accordingly. If drinking it with lemon juice in it helps you increase your water intake then great, but like Anna, I remain sceptical that it can have a dramatic affect on weight loss, and thankfully I drink enough water! :).

Just a thought - rather than buying lemons could you buy a bottle of lemon juice? Probably much cheaper & will last longer

My dad (who sadly is longer with us) always drank loads of water with lemons in when he wanted to lose weight. Didn't know if this actually helped the process or not, but evidently going by your link it seems to hold water (no pun intended) lol. I drink loads of water so will most definitely be giving this a go. Thank you Ginette x

I have drunk lots more water this week. I tried the water with lemon and found it really sour. Did you add anything to it? I shall try the lemon water with a sweetner as my friend who had tried this since my reccomendation has lost 4lbs. She was only losing small amounts 1lb and 2 lbs before this. I am hoping that this isn't just coincidence.

I on the other hand only lost 1/2 lb this week and I did 20 mins exercise a day and walked around the shops on 2 days that I would normally be at home.

I am feeling a little despondent as I have written everything in the food diary and even the consultant doesn't understand why.

I will see what happens next week as I have only lost 7.5 lbs in the first month.

Last edited:
Your mentioned that the difference Now was that you aren't drinking as much water as you were before. Certainly if you have increased your exercise you need to increase your wiser intake accordingly. If drinking it with lemon juice in it helps you increase your water intake then great, but like Anna, I remain sceptical that it can have a dramatic affect on weight loss, and thankfully I drink enough water! :).

Just a thought - rather than buying lemons could you buy a bottle of lemon juice? Probably much cheaper & will last longer

I will try the lemons first and see how I do. I imagine it is something to do with the actual lemon. If I find it helps I could give lemon juice a try

Hi all, i weighed in today with a loss of 2.6lbs ,i didn,t if i,m honest have many lemons,think i only used 1,but i did drink between 1.5-2litres of water daily. I,ve had the same weight loss 4 the last 3wks.

I have drunk lots more water this week. I tried the water with lemon and found it really sour. Did you add anything to it? I shall try the lemon water with a sweetner as my friend who had tried this since my reccomendation has lost 4lbs. She was only losing small amounts 1lb and 2 lbs before this. I am hoping that this isn't just coincidence.

I on the other hand only lost 1/2 lb this week and I did 20 mins exercise a day and walked around the shops on 2 days that I would normally be at home.

I am feeling a little despondent as I have written everything in the food diary and even the consultant doesn't understand why.

I will see what happens next week as I have only lost 7.5 lbs in the first month.

7.5lb in a month is nearly 6 1/2 stone over a year. If you can steadily maintain that you have NOTHING to be concerned about. Exercise is well known to slow weight loss at the start, it's due to water retention so as you have been advised, it would be worth pushing a bit extra through your system to flush that retention through.

I hope your weigh in this week brings you the results you want :)

I Drink Hot Water And Lemon Most Morning At Least 30 Mins B4 I Eat I Swear By It As A Detox To Cleanse Your Body Of Rubbish But Im A Very Healthy Eater And To B Honest I Wouldnt Say It Has Ever Made Me Lose Extra Weight But It May Help Someone On An Unhealthy Diet Changing To A Healthy Diet ? Anyway I Feel Better For My Hot Water And Lemon It Defo Gives My Skin A Boost ?

Figgy said:
I Drink Hot Water And Lemon Most Morning At Least 30 Mins B4 I Eat I Swear By It As A Detox To Cleanse Your Body Of Rubbish But Im A Very Healthy Eater And To B Honest I Wouldnt Say It Has Ever Made Me Lose Extra Weight But It May Help Someone On An Unhealthy Diet Changing To A Healthy Diet ? Anyway I Feel Better For My Hot Water And Lemon It Defo Gives My Skin A Boost ?

Have you been hacked? Or did you deliberately capitalise the beginning of every word? :). Sorry, it makes it a bit difficult to read hun.

kingleds said:
Have you been hacked? Or did you deliberately capitalise the beginning of every word? :). Sorry, it makes it a bit difficult to read hun.

The last 7 posts from Figgy have all had each word capitalised so hopefully not been hacked!! :)

Back