Early morning exercise - eat or not to eat first?

I will succeed!!!
I got up at 5am this morning to fit in a work out before work. It's a duel reason effort; help to make me feel more awake in the morning and to help with losses and toning etc.

Now, I didn't eat before I started. I DID have a large glass of water and gave myself 10mins before starting.

I did a proper warm up, stretches and cool down and then ate after showering.

The thing is - there is conflicting advice on whether you should eat before working out in the morning or not. Some people say that working out right away before food will boost losses without harming you, others say not to as it means your body will burn the sugars in your muscles as you're low on carbs due to sleeping.

However, given I am not the lean, toned goddess I wish I was, surely my body would burn the fat in my a$$ before any muscle mass? It's not like I don't have any body fat to burn - like an athlete who needs more food to carry on their regime. And again...not being an athlete means my working out isn't exactly hardcore!

I am only going to aim to do this 2-3 times a week before work - and time is limited because I leave for work at 6.30am as it is. I guess I could throw a banana down neck, wait 20mins and then start if it is a bad thing...

...what do you think? I did a relatively light CV routine because it's a new thing for me to do (heck getting up at 5am alone is let alone adding exercise lol)...I've looked online for advice and it's 50:50 for both options.

Gah!

I guess really I should just see how it pans out and adapt to suit my body/routine.

But any help would be good xxx

If I'm exercising first thing I don't eat a meal but I do eat 'some' carbohydrates usually an apple, and a black coffee and I notice a difference in my metabolism afterwards it runs much quicker. Must say even when I'm exercising later on in the day I try and stick to fruit and don't limit myself with it, or porrige if I eat first thing then maybe an apple before I exercise.

Your body will burn the carbs/sugars first but that's what you want so that it can then switch to burning fat and obviously the longer you work out the more fat you will burn after burning the glucose. When I'm swimming I can feel my body switching from sugar burning to fat burning, you get a real whoosh of tiredness for about 30secs and then you get your 'second wind' that's when I keep going as long as I can to burn the fat.

HTH
Wendy

I know if I eat within an hour of so of starting exercise I get a stitch. I don't workout in the morning but finish work at 1.00pm and go to gym before picking kids up at 3.00pm from school. I always struggle with lunch and never quite know what to do. Eat lunch at 11am and be starving and pick when get kids home, eat nothing and same applies.

I would say as far as the morning goes, get up, exercise, then have a decent breakfast.

Well done you! That's commitment!! Hope it shows in a new slim toned Sticky!!

Lynda

Lynda

Meant to say you'll figure out the best way for you, but personally I wouldn't eat a banana unless it was a few hrs before my exercise because they are so high in sugar and it will take awhile to burn that off. You're not going to loss muscle mass by burning the glucose in your muscles your just using up what's stored there and that's fine. You're only overdoing it when you get a horrendous burn in your muscles, it means you're going to hard and your muscles are now lacking oxygen and are using lactic acid instead, not good! But you have to go pretty fast, like doing loads of sit ups in quick succession, I've done it once and it hurts lol.

Good luck let us know how you get on.

Wendy

Mumtheshopper, what about taking some fruit or (if your on a red/EE day) some cooked chicken for after the gym. A banana will fill you up for awhile and the chicken's even better because you'll be helping your muscles along with the protein and it's healthy. It would tide you over until you get home and then you wont feel like eating everything in sight lol.

HTH
Wendy

Meant to say you'll figure out the best way for you, but personally I wouldn't eat a banana unless it was a few hrs before my exercise because they are so high in sugar and it will take awhile to burn that off. You're not going to loss muscle mass by burning the glucose in your muscles your just using up what's stored there and that's fine. You're only overdoing it when you get a horrendous burn in your muscles, it means you're going to hard and your muscles are now lacking oxygen and are using lactic acid instead, not good! But you have to go pretty fast, like doing loads of sit ups in quick succession, I've done it once and it hurts lol.

Good luck let us know how you get on.

Wendy

Wow thanks for the replies ladies! :D

Wendy - I wondered about the muscle/glucose thing...but I've seen it on a few sites that look like pretty decent sites which promted me to ask. I didn't think I'd suffer, cause as I said it's not like I aint got some fat to be eaten lol ;)

I know bananas aren't the best - we joke on here about our 'bananability' but it doesn't seem to affect me...but then again it doesn't alter the fact it takes to burn and I'll be darned if I am hauling butt outta bed at 5am to not burn off a 'nana! LOL!

Thanks again...great replies x

but then again it doesn't alter the fact it takes to burn and I'll be darned if I am hauling butt outta bed at 5am to not burn off a 'nana! LOL!

Thanks again...great replies x
LMAO! :D

You're welcome. Hope it goes well for you. I've just bought the wii dance that I saw recommended in a thread, can't wait to try it but will def take the recommendation of closing the curtains don't want to scare the neighbours lol

Wendy

Back