Easy Peasy Lentil Dahl

peachy7

Silver Member
Just thought I'd share a quick and easy microwave lentil dahl which is lovely and excellent for weight loss...

2tbsp water
2 medium onions (finely sliced)
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chilli powder and 1 whole chilli (with seeds)
2 bay leaves
2 inch piece cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp salt
6 black peppercorns
8oz/225g red lentils
1 1/2pt boiling vegetable stock

Place first 8 ingredients in a 1.5l microwavable dish, cook on full power stirring once for 4 mins,
Add remaining ingredients & stir well
Cook on full power for 10 mins, stir and cook for a further 5-8 mins
Season with salt, pepper or chilli to taste.

I also add spinach now and again or serve it on the side, and sometime serve with rice, or a roti which are 6.5 syns (average)

oh thanks for that ive written it down in my book and will try it soon:)

I made it last night.... very free and amazing for weightloss but if you eat loads I wouldnt stray too far from a toilet!! hehe maybe I should have put a warning on it!!

Glad to see there are other curry lovers out there - I have this wonderful book called The Curry Bible (from M&S) and it has such wonderful recipes, only thing is most are not SW friendly!! It takes some imagination and ingenuity to created a good tasting recipe, will add yours in there, thanks!

I got Curry heaven I think it's called, SW version its a hardback one have had it a couple of years and its amazing!! Theres a love thai green curry recipe somewhere on here too...

Thanks for another great tip peachy7, I'll ask my consultant about it at our next group! Now to try figure out how to update my profile! I seem lost on MiniMins! :D

You need to have made 50 posts before you can update your profile so you will need to get chatting. If you click on Tutorials in the blue bar at the top of the page it will help you find your way around here

This recipe sounds delish, but I do not have microwave, should I just spray fry light and fry first 8 ingredients and then add water and boil to finish?

Thanks

Ooooo, I think I've just found my dinner for tonight! Thanks!

Lentil Dahl

2tbsp water
2 medium onions (finely sliced)
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chilli powder and 1 whole chilli (with seeds)
2 bay leaves
2 inch piece cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp salt
6 black peppercorns
8oz/225g red lentils
1 1/2pt boiling vegetable stock

Place first 8 ingredients in a 1.5l microwavable dish, cook on full power stirring once for 4 mins,
Add remaining ingredients & stir well
Cook on full power for 10 mins, stir and cook for a further 5-8 mins
Season with salt, pepper or chilli to taste.

I also add spinach now and again or serve it on the side, and sometime serve with rice, or a roti which are 6.5 syns (average)[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I can't Thank You enough, I was scared to death of lentil cooking and I think this may be my first successful attempt, I'm guessing things like this are really nicer the next day when all the flavours have mixed but I have some thing to tuck into if my smash pizza first attempt goes belly up later.
Or I may just decided to have this with rice.
Xx

Trying this tonight as I didn't get round to it last week, will report back! I have high hopes because I LOVE dahl!! :D

OMG - it was heavenly, thank you so much for this recipe!!! :D I think that next time I will use ground coriander instead of seeds (I didn't like chomping on them every mouthful) and probably up the chilli slightly but it was perfect with some rice and spinach mixed in. Lovely :D

Lilyb said:
OMG - it was heavenly, thank you so much for this recipe!!! :D I think that next time I will use ground coriander instead of seeds (I didn't like chomping on them every mouthful) and probably up the chilli slightly but it was perfect with some rice and spinach mixed in. Lovely :D

I used ground as I don't cook with seeds' I left out cinnamon as I hate it! It was Devine, I've just had some with sw chips and broccoli. I had some on a jacket potato for supper last night, and there's one portion still sat in the fridge.

A wonder cheap. Easy comfort food.

Thank You again xx

Back