Eat Stop Eat 24 Hour Fast

Also on your fast day only eat as you would normally eat, what I mean is just act as if you never fasted! It will be hard to get use to that at first but as you get use to it you will find it easy plus I think my stomach had shrunk cus I only eat small meals now. Keep me posted if your going to try eat stop eat. I need a buddy!! Good luck xxx

Your stomach is shrinking hun;) The same way we can distend our stomachs by eating too much, we also can make it srink by eating small amounts of solid foods at a time and/or giving stomach some rest (after all stomach is a muscle). However, we can distend our stomach in just two months, but need half an year of eating small portions for it to shrink definatelly again. You're on the process of stomach srinking, I believe that fasting may accelerate the process because if stomach is a muscle, the less you use the quicker it will shrink.

Thanks Naz - you're a star!!! Am trying to weigh up (no pun intended hee hee!!!!) whether to do this Eat Fast Eat Diet, The British Heart Foundation one or the Hypno Gastric Band. I have just over 3 months to lose the best part of 3 stone so i'm getting a bit desperate now!!!! I'm kinda thinking that i'm going to try the BHF one first as you lose 10lb in 3 days on that. You do 3 days on and then 4 days off. My neighbour is doing it and has lost 12 lbs in the last 2wks even though he had beer and take-aways on his days off!!!!!!! I thought that i'd try and do this for 4 wks and then when the weight loss is plateauing move on to the Eat Stop Eat one with the Hypno Gastric Band as my "if all else fails" plan!!!!!! Will definitely keep you posted. Well done on your weight loss - you're doing really well. x x

How does the Bitish Heart Foundation plan work?

x

Hey Aline thought I'd update u on my weight loss success on eat stop eat! I've lost a total of 10kgs! I'm over the moon!!!! I still cant believe I was 91.4kgs a few months ago and now I'm 80.8kgs!! I'm so chuffed still got a long way to go yet but I just wanted to let someone know lol! Would love to be 77kgs by April 22. Fingers crossed!! Xxxx

Hey Aline thought I'd update u on my weight loss success on eat stop eat! I've lost a total of 10kgs! I'm over the moon!!!! I still cant believe I was 91.4kgs a few months ago and now I'm 80.8kgs!! I'm so chuffed still got a long way to go yet but I just wanted to let someone know lol! Would love to be 77kgs by April 22. Fingers crossed!! Xxxx

I'm so glad for you naz :)

ESE really works for you! 10kgs is over 22 pounds, wow;)
How many kgs have you been losing every week on average? I'm asking because if I recall correctly you've been following ESE for only a month or so!

Hope you'll lose those 3-4 kgs until 22 April:) Is 22 April a special day for you?

xx

Lol I'm losing around 1kg a week but I've started my "healthy eating since 15th jan and I weighed 91.4kgs!! And as for april I have a family wedding!! I've ordered a emerald green maxi type dress! (it's stunning!!) wen I go for the fitting I'm hoping I'll have to get it taken in!! Take care!! Il keep you posted ?

1 kg a week is great, it's a very consistent weight loss journey;)

Emerald green is a beautiful colour, I'm sure that your commitment to ESE and healthy eating will pay off and you'll surprise the relatives with your loss;)

Have a great week Naz and keep us updated xx

Can someone give me a kick up the bum!! I can't seem to do a full 24 hour fast since Sunday. I know why its cus other half is going away for 2 weeks and I'm going to miss him like crazy!!!! So I'm emotional eating! I'm not eating junk but the most I can last with my fast is 16 hours. U can't believe I'm doing this to myself I've been doing so well n now I'm just ruining it! I'm so angry with myself!!! I had a target to lose a few pounds by the time hubi comes back! The worst thing is he's not even left yet he goes Friday!! Lol someone please lecture me!! Xxx

Hi there
It's been months since I have been on here so I thought I would give you a quick update of what's been happening.

Started out in Feb 2011 with the Exante Diet but couldn't hack it so then joined the Bootsdiets website and was on a calorie controlled diet for 7 weeks, and lost 7.4lbs!

However, I suffer badly with M.E. One of the symptoms is Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and I found that the instant I started to increase my fruit and veg intake, the IBS got much, much worse. It got so bad that it was actually really frightening and I almost called 999 a few times as I was in so much pain....... So, consequently, I had to give the diet up.

I can speak with confidence when I say that I am going through the most stressful time in my entire life (long story) and I do comfort eat a lot, so.....Yep, you've guessed it, I have put on 5.8lbs in the past 6 months since I gave up the diet. I am also virtually unable to exercise as well, so that doesn't help.

I think the Bootsdiets site is wonderful. There are a lot of lovely people on there who are really friendly and helpful, and the Boots support team is fantastic. It also teaches you tons about the calorific and fat values of food etc. As this was my very first calorie conrolled diet, I did learn a lot!! I would highly recommend it!

My clothes are now feeling tight again so I have been wondering what I can do..... to cut a very long story short, I have decided to try Intermittent Fasting. I have been thinking about this myself for a few weeks, but yesterday I was suprised to find an entire website, written by a nutritionist who advocates this as a way to lose weight, feel healthier and/or maintain a healthy weight.

The basic rules are very simple....you fast (no food at all) for 24 hours once or twice a week! That's it!!

Having been ill now with M.E. and severe migraines for 18 years, I have read a lot of health books, and I know that short fasts are recommended by many nutritional practitioners to help cleanse the body and give the digestion a rest. What happens to the body during a short fast is very complicated, and I wanted to know more of the science behind the theory, so I decided to buy the e-book "Eat-Stop-Eat" by Brad Pilon. I have read a little of it so far, and it does make sense. I also spent a long time researching the Eat-Stop-Eat way of losing weight, and actually found a lot of people on forums who recommended this way of living both for weight loss and feeling healthier in general.

So...today is my very first day and so far so good. I am hungry but I am making sure I drink frequently. I even quite enjoyed my 2 mugs of black coffee!!!! lol It's another long and complicated story, but I am trying this not only for possible weight loss, but also for possible health benefits.

I realise that this thread is pretty old, but if you are trying Intermittent Fasting and are having success with it, it would be great to hear from you.

Last edited:
Hi! Yes I have done Brads eat stop eat diet and lost over 8 kg on it! It's very good and wen i was fasting I felt great! I have been off any diet at the moment but would love to start back onto it! It would be great if we can be buddies! At first u willfind the fasts a little hard but once u r use to it u feel great and lose weight! Good luck on ur journey hope to hear from u soon x

Hi Naz :wavey:
Thanks so much for replying. Am at the end of an extremely long day trying to make some pennies by selling stuff on ebay! It's bloomin' hard work!! :rolleyes: :argh:

Also decided I would print off the e-book on Eat-Stop-Eat....
143 pages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek: It cost so much money that I thought I would better digest it (pardon the pun!) if I could sit on the settee and read it properly. I wouldn't have dreamed of spending that much money on an e-book (have never actually bought one before), but I just have a gut feeling that this is going to be right for me. I have so many health issues, and I think it 'may' possibly help with some of them :fingerscrossed:

I feel pretty dreadful just now (midnight) but I have overdone it badly on the computer today, so am not blaming it on the fasting. I decided to do the fast from 7pm to 7pm and I must admit, the last 5 hours were killers!!! I felt starving!!!! I should be used to it really because every 1-2 weeks I have a 3 day migraine and can't eat for 1.5 days! It's not the same though, cause you feel like you wanna' die when you get those. I have never actually fasted when I felt ok!!! LOL

....Yes, I would be happy to be your "Fasting Buddy" as long as I can stick at it! No promises!!! Life is extremely hard as it is without depriving myself of food 1-2 days a week, but from what I have read about it, I do agree with the theory of it, and I do really want to lose 1/2 to 1 stone in weight if possible.

Thanks once again for replying so quickly. You have given me a lot of encouragement through that. You hadn't posted since the Spring so I was a bit worried you had given up on it, found it too hard or worse still, it had made you ill! It is fantastic to find out you have lost so much weight on it and that you feel great doing it! :happy096: :clap:

Would love to hear more about your experience with EatStopEat!! Did you really lose 8kg by doing it?????? How long did that take and how often did you fast? Did you exercise much during the week?

Bye for now
Jan :)

Hi like ive said before the first few fasts r hard once u get over the first few u will find it really easy, I use to work out at the gym when I was on the ESE diet but never worked out on fasting days, on fasting days o used to do weights at home like brad says. I have tried so many diets and I must say with ESE I looked great! My body was toned and my belly shrunk! I have put on around 3 kg but that is down to not fasting and eating like a complete pig! The thing that kept me going on ESE diet was seeing the weight go down every week! U do have to watch wot u eat, but u learn alit of self control on this diet I find, it made me realise foid isn't everything. Like I have said I need to get back on track again and because not alit of people have heard of this diet I kinda gave up. It does work tho I must say! Also I never had tea or coffee so I use to nake sure I drink water (dilute) and it still worked. Let us know how u felt after ur first 24 hour fast.

Hi Naz
Thanks for that info. The working out your muscles thing is worrying me a bit as I can't do that (due to the ME). My muscle workouts are basically cleaning the house, a bit of gardening, getting bits and pieces in town, and that's about it at the moment. I do plan to try and do a walk once a week like I used to, but have had a very difficult time of it lately and haven't done a walk in 3 months!!!

I joined Twitter last week...(completely baffling to me!), but I did notice that Brad is on there and I messaged him and he e-mailed me and told me to get in touch with him through e-mail, which was really nice of him! I haven't had the chance to read the e-book yet, so I want to do that before I bombard him with questions!! LOL

My first day on the fast (Sunday was fine), apart from, like I said, feeling starving for the last 5 hours. It has certainly made me think about what I'm eating again though, which can't be a bad thing. When I did the diet in Feb/March I realised that my two main comfort-eating problems are bordom/nervous eating and lonelyness but also when I am in a lot of pain, which is very frequently!! (like today!

I would say Sunday's fast was a success though and yesterday I had a pretty good day! (healthwise) so was pleased with that :D.

Once I read the ebook and/or get more info from Brad, then I will be able to make a more informed decision, but I am thinking at the moment, that I will probably only do the fast for 1 day a week, seeing as I am so ill. I will see how it goes. It's also not a great time of the year to be fasting!!!! It is absolutely freeeeeeezing up here :gen125: and the house is really cold now. I have real problems with feeling cold all the time anyway, so going without food for the day in freezing weather doesn't sound too appealing!!! LOL

Have you actually started the ESE again yet?

I recorded a program on fad diets and watched it today. Really interesting although pretty scary! The interviewer was talking to people who had done fad diets and got seriously ill from them. I kept wondering if the ESE way of losing weight would come on next, but it didn't!! They did talk about the serious consequences that very low calorie diets can have on people if they persue them for a long time though....really scary stuff! I think that's the HUGE difference ....that people don't understand that it is just for 24 hours. That is the key I think. That would also explain why I don't seem to lose weight when I have to starve myself over 1.5-2 days every 1.5-2 weeks when I get a migraine! From what I can gather, your body doesn't go into starvation mode until over 24 hours, when it then can monkey around with your metabolism and when you do eat again, you put weight on more easily. That is a really new concept for me...something which I hadn't realised!

Anyway, I'm off now. Let me know if/when you start again. BTW, what did you mean when you said you drank diluted water during the fast? Do you mean diluted juice?

Bye for now
Take care
Jan x

Is there anybody out there???? :sign0163: lol

Well, this thread was taken off for a few days as the moderators were worried it was some kind of danderous faddy diet. I did email them to explain that it's definitely not, and after their research they have kindly put it on again.

I haven't any news RE: health improvements or weight loss, but it's only been a week so I wasn't expecting miracles. I am also not really planning a certain day of the week for the 24 hour fast as I am ill a lot and I get these bad migraines a lot, so I am just kind of doing them when I feel I am able.

Have had 2 seperate days of fasting now. Haven't lost any weight or inches, but that's ok. I am not desperate. I just want to try it out to see what happens. I am not dieting inbetween times either....am just eating what I normally eat.

How's it going Naz? Have you started back on it yet?

Finally got around to reading Brad Pilon's e-book "EatStopEat". It was really interesting, although a little over my head, as it was talking a lot about biochemistry. An awful lot of facts in there though and a lot of stuff I didn't know, so was worth buying.

I emailed Brad Pilon tonight regarding me doing this and being disabled with M.E. ie. not being able to use the weights for muscle building as he advocates. It will be interesting to see what he has to say about it.

Did my 3rd 24-hour fast today in 1.5 weeks. Another ok day. It's the last 4-5 hours that are the worst, but that's probably cause I'm always rattling around the house on my own, and the kitchen is only a few feet away!! Ahhhhhhhhhh!! Apparently it gets easier once you have done around 10 fasts!! So.....7 more to go and it will be REALLY easy!! :rolleyes:

Hi sorry I didn't forget u I was looking for u but couldn't find the thread! But I just read that it was taken off! Wow!
Anyway no I haven't started my fasting yet but today is my first day. I have put on 4 kg by just eating away and have lost all self control, :((. I started eat stop eat weighing 91.5kg on feb 2011 and went down to 76.7kg by may2011 so that's pretty good huh? :) I've out on 4 kg but that is threw eating everything and anything and also stopped working out going to the gym etc. but enough is enough I'm back in track!
Yes I has robinsons sugar free squash but that was the only way I could get water down me! One of the reasons I stopped posting in here was because of the fact that not alot of people would understand why u have to fast 24 hours and I didn't have all the scientific facts like brad lol.
His e-book sounds interesting but I have not read it it so please share more info if u have read it all.
Fasting does get easier and yes winter months r hard I agree, I'll let u know how I get on with my first 24 hour fast. Take Care xxx

Hi Naz
Nice to see you again. I thought perhaps you had left (I wondered if it was something I said!! LOL). I initially didn't understand why the moderators had deleted this thread, but when I e-mailed them about it, they did explain that they have to look at these things, incase they are dangerous. As I said, I emailed them and explained to them a little about the EatStopEat way, and they put it back on. I kind of wish that the title of this thread wasn't called the "EatStopEat Diet" as it isn't actually a diet, it more of a way of life. It makes it sound like a dangerous diet.

I hope you have had a good experience with your 1st fast day? I have had my 4th day spread out over the past 2 days as I have had another migraine, so I have to count those in as fasts, as I can't usually eat for 1 - 1.5 days.

Brad's e-book is huge so I can't really explain stuff on here. It was really interesting, but a lot of it was over my head, talking about biochemisty and the way different chemicals in our body react to different ways of eating. Basically, a 24 hour fast seems to be very beneficial to many of the systems of the body!! If you want to know anything specific, just ask and I will attempt to answer it for you.

...Yep, looks like we are the only two on this site to have tried 24 hour fasting! There are quite few people who seem to be doing fasting in a scary way on here ie. going for much longer periods of fasting!! I don't agree with that, and would never endorse that, and that's what I told the moderators.

I did do a pineapple fast, if you can call it that, many years ago, and I think I did lose weight on it, and it was also very tasty as it was basically just eating fresh pineapple for several days. As the years have gone on though, and I have learnt a lot about foods etc, I wouldn't do that again. Waaaaaaaaaaay too much sugar for the system!! I can't begin to imagine how much fruit sugar I consumed in the week that I was on that "diet"!!! Frightening!!

Are you starting back with one 24 hour day or two? I am not sure if I will be able to do two days a week or not. I have managed it so far. I am also not counting calories or cutting down on the other 5 days, and I am not able to exercise, so I don't actually know if I will lose ANY weight!

This is probably just a coincidence, but this fortnight's migraine wasn't quite so severe and didn't last quite so long as usual.This is probably just a fluke though. Time will tell.

Anyway, let me know how you are getting on. You will probably make me jealous with the amount of weight you lose quicker than me, but I accept that mine (if any) will be very slow.

P.S. Brad's e-book cost a wopping £32.39!!!! The only way I could justify spending that kind of money was that I will re-coop the money by fasting!!! I would say that it is worth it though. I obviously don't take his word as the gospel, but you do learn an awful lot and most of it I had no idea about! Really interesting stuff, and probably worth a second read sometime.

PPS: one thing that was interesting (if a little depressing!! lol) was that he mentions that you may not see much weight loss until about the 10th fast, as your body is adjusting. It may look like you have lost during the first few times, but that is often just water or the fact that your stomach is emptier than it used to be.

Take care - bye for now

Jan xx

Last edited:
By the way, Brad also says that with his recommendations of doing some resistance training about 3 times a week, (to help keep the muscles you already have, or to build muscle whilst you lose fat) you will probably lose around 1-2 lbs a week. That is the same amount as was given on the Boots.com diet site that I was a member of in the Springtime, when I was on a 1,400 calorie diet every day. I 'only' lost 1lb a week, but then I was hardly doing any exercise due to having M.E. I was also spending every waking moment thinking about food and what I could and couldn't eat, as well as buying and eating a load of crap diet food with nothing but artificial sweeteners in eg. jelly. I didn't really feel right about this, as it is something I wouldn't eat normally. Diet foods are also hugely expensive, so at least with a 24 hour fast, you are saving money, not spending more money!

Hi, I need to start back on on ESE ways but at them I moment I'm finding it really hard, I'm off from work (half term) and so are the kids, and when I'm at home I tend ti eat anything and everything. so hoping to start my 24 hour fast on Sunday. I know for a fact starting my first 24 hour fast after such a long break is going to b hard but I just need to complete the first fast to get my he'd around it. I have put on 4kg which I really need to lose before xmas!
When I first started ESE i started seeing a difference from the first fast lol the reason was When your fasting for 24 hours ur stomach kinda goes in lol, I use to lose 1kg a week which was great. After a while my weight came to a stand still for about 3 weeks and instead of persevering I have up! The scale would not move from 12 stones and I couldn't take the fact that I wasn't losing weight after all that time! As for the weight training part I looked on some of the videos on utube and to be honest they look too hard lol so I bought my self a set of weights for Argos and made up my own simple exercises which was no way near what the people on utube where doing. I still so a huge difference on my body and so did everyone else. So don't worry to much about the weight training just do as much as u can these things take time and once u are used to your fasting 2x a week then try starting on the weights. As for ur migraine I feel for u, I can't handle a normal headache never mind a migraine, but if u have a severe migraine then I suggest u just do a small fast. When I wasn't to well I would do a 16 hour fast and this never effected my weight loss to be honest.
The thing I loved about ESE was that I learnt that u can survive without food for 24 hours and if Anything ur giving ur body a rest from all the bad stuff u eat lol . At first I would be down and depressed thinking I'm depriving myself of food etc but one I got into the routine onf fasting I was a really happy women! I would. Prod to go 24 hours without food and not pig out at the end off it which trust me I did at the beginning.
Sorry for the long post and I'm sure I'm not making too much sense on it. I'm just really excited that I have someone who is doing this diet!
I will update u as soon as I finish my first 24 hour fast! Take care x

Hi Naz
Glad to hear that you are starting back on it. It is a bit weird that we are the only two people on here to be doing it!! LOL At least we can give each other a bit of encouragement anyway. I suppose the actual EatStopEat website is quite hard to find. A short fast was initially my own idea, and I thought I would look it up on the web to see if I could find out anything else. It took a very long time before I came across Brad's EatStopEat website! Most of the fasts seem to be juice fasts, which when you think about it, isn't fasting at all!

I am not able to do the weight training bit. This is my only query really. I did e-mail Brad Pilon, but I know he gets hundreds of e-mails every week, so whether he will reply to mine, I don't know.

I did dig out a pair of tiny little hand weights and I am using them a couple of times a day, plus I decided to get my mini trampoline out of the shed, where it's basically been since it was bought for me several years ago! My ex and I had a tiny bungalow at the time and there was literally nowhere to store it, and I don't have the strength to keep folding the legs up and down every time I want to use it. It was also very painful to even just do the tiniest bounce on it.

Anyway, it's now stored in the hallway and I am having a 2 minute session on it 2-3 times a day. I don't suppose that is exactly classed as resistance training, but it is using muscles that I don't normally use so it's got to be good! Life is difficult with this M.E. because I get ill from whatever exercise I do, whether it's cleaning the windows or walking, but I also know that if I don't use it, I'll lose it!! I just have to try and get a balance...but I never do!! :rolleyes:

I was considering buying one of those elasticated bands that old people use to strengthen their arm and leg muscles. I think they are also used in pilates. Have you ever used one?

Anyway, good luck for Sunday :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Bye for now
Jan xx

Back