Eating on holiday - any advice please?

Mochaj

Gold Member
Tomorrow will be the first day of week 3 for me since restarting. My first CD attempt only lasted 2.5 weeks (Don't know if thats relevant to the question I am about to ask)

The last 2 weeks have been great. Weight is coming off, have been glugging the water & having my shakes, no nibbling at all! I've shocked myself so far but I feel very determined.

I go on holiday to Greece 2 weeks tomorrow, so the week I am away should be my AAM week. When I restarted 2 weeks ago I thought I would just ignore my diet for the holiday, not have shakes and just try to eat very sensibly while I was away. That now seems to have been a bad idea as I am seeing results and the scales are moving nicely so I don't want to ruin it. My thought was "So what if I put on half a stone, I'll have a good time and lose it when I come back." Not the right attitude I don't think.

So now I am thinking I will take my shakes with me. Keep up the water intake (4-5L a day I am doing at the moment) and do my AAM while I am away. We will be eating out most of the time so I know this would take a huge amount of willpower but is it possible? I don't want to set myself up for failure by setting myself an unrealistic target. I know it would mean ordering plain chicken or fish etc and just green salad or green veg and then probably only eating a third (if that!) of what arrived on my plate and having the strength to leave the rest. I'm not usually very strong when it comes to willpower but it's going well so far.

I could really do with some advice about what to do. I need to get my head round it before I go so that I get into the right frame of mind and SUCCEED in achieving whatever I decide to do that week.

Thanks if anyone can help

Yes !!! don`t go on holiday !!!

I was away last week and successfully ss for the first 2 days, then met up with family and friends for the rest of week and it all went to pot.
Wi tuesday will tell.

I found it hard as everyone wanted to work round me, they were so supportive but were concerned where we ate and I hated putting everyone out.
However I did manage to stick to chicken and salad and have two cd meals apart from a lovely fried breakfast and mcdees lol.
I hope you find you can plan ok and have a fab holiday, sorry not much help.

Hi there

I am facing the same dilemma as off to Barcelona at the end of the week. Similarly, I am just going to try and do three shakes as normal and then chicken or fish with salad. Personally I'd love to just stick with the diet but it is only my hubby and me and it's for his 40th Birthday and unfortunately putting myself first on this occasion isn't an option. I think all we can do is our best whilst away and then straight back to it.

Georgie
x

forgot to put I did keep the water intake up to about 3 1/2 litres and my scales say the same at home, but back to ss today lol

Holidays are a difficult call I am afraid!

My advice (boring counsellor time!) is if you can stick to it then do as most people agree that when you have your mind in the right place then why risk falling out of that mindset.

But you must do what is right for you.

Mike

Thanks Mike and for what it's worth I totally agree with you, I so don't want to lose my motivation as have managed to stick with this for 7 weeks without struggling too much. I have told myself that I am going to treat it like a very short AAM week and then straight back to SS afterwards. I am feeling so motivated and determined that hopefully this will just be a small inconvenience.

Gx

At the end of the day if you can coincide your AAM and have some small protein meals then that is a great way round the problem.

And always remember that water is key (especially in countries that are hot as you lose more fluids)

Mike

Thanks everyone

Good luck Sazzy for your weigh in on Tuesday! It sounds like you pretty much stuck to it apart from 1 fry up and a McD's! Hopefully you'll still get a good result :)

Porgeous - I hope you have a great time in Barcelona. It's even more difficult if you are going away to celebrate a special occasion because celebrations usually mean food! I hope you do well.

Mike - Thanks. I think I am going to try and stick with it. I know I would feel so damn happy and pleased with myself if I managed to do that (not to mention slightly smug ;)) What you said about once your mind is in the right place then why fall out of that mindset really helps. My mind IS in the right place at the moment so it feels like it would be stupid to stop that just for the sake of some food. I know what it tastes like, so now I just have to convince myself that going on holiday doesn't have to mean pigging out :)

Will I manage to keep that attitude? Time will tell!

Thanks all

Good luck and have a great holiday, if you can stick with it then do. Otherwise you will be kicking yourself.
Have a great time.

hi guys,

im on holidays soon too for 10 days but my CD said cos I have it booked so long to do a 790 week then a 1000kcal week. I know its not ideal but its the holiday of a lifetime so I think this will work better for me.

Icemoose Is it ok to try to stick to the 790 plan most of the time and then do a 1000 the odd day??

THanks

Hey, just wanted to say that I have just got back from 2 weeks holidays in the sun and managed to SS the whole time so it's possible if you want to do it. Equally though my Mum, also a Cd'er ate the whole time relatively sensibly and only put on 2 pounds BUT then is struggling to get back into abstinence after a week back. Using add a meal will probably help so you don't feel like you are missing out though I can honestly say I enjoyed going out for meals with my family and I had a great time munching on my bars! Hope whatever you choose works out for you,

Kerrie x

Thanks Kerrie :)

I'm fairly sure now that I will do my AAM week, which starts exactly the same day I go on holiday and ends the night before I fly back. I have 2 weeks to get myself really determined, so that's what I'll try to do :)

YOU CAN DO IT!!!! I went camping with friends for 10 days whilst on sole source and despite comments such as "oh well you're going to be a bundle of laughs aren't you" (grrrr) I sole sourced the whole way through the holiday. When they had stuffed themselves full of rubbish and drunk themselves into oblivion, I was the one laughing (quietly) and feeling very pleased with myself!

In my somewhat humble opinion, it is not worth ruining all your hard work just because you're on holiday.. and have FUN!!

hi guys,

im on holidays soon too for 10 days but my CD said cos I have it booked so long to do a 790 week then a 1000kcal week. I know its not ideal but its the holiday of a lifetime so I think this will work better for me.

Icemoose Is it ok to try to stick to the 790 plan most of the time and then do a 1000 the odd day??

THanks

You can do it that way BUT everytime you do 1000 calories you are going to knock yourself out of ketosis which means you will lose the duvet of hunger protection so then will find it dead heard to keep sticking to 790 as you will be physically hungry.

Mike

Back