ED concerns

hennyhamster

Silver Member
Having a hard time at the minute, my friends and family are concerned about me. I haven't had a single gain since I started slimming world and people are saying I'm too strict on myself. If I have a bad day and go over syns I cut back to around 0 syns for the rest of the week. I got a couple of awards this morning but came home and ate too much chocolate and then felt so guilty I made myself vomit. I know I have lost a few dress sizes but I still think I look big in the mirror. I am 6lb away from target and wondered to change it to 3lb but then I will still feel big. Don't know what to do :( Then my friend's partner said I've lost too much and look ill. :( What should I do?

Looking at your stats it looks like you are aiming for a healthy bmi if these are correct?
People often get told they are losing too much etc as friends and family etc find it hard to adjust to the change BUT from what you say you are doing it doesn't sound the healthiest way of doing it or totally sw.
I'd suggest trying to balance your syns out and not cut back to 0 if you have a bad day as then that leads to feeling deprived and doing things like eating too much chocolate and the dreaded guilt.
Also it might get you awards and weightloss now but is it maintainable in the long run?
Adjusting to the new you in the mirror can take some time so believe the labels in those smaller dresses and the scales that you have changed and I bet you are looking great xxx

Hennyhamster,

If you are worried I would go to see a professional just for some assurance. I think you have been really brave posting your concerns. It's quite timely, I have been thinking about a SW member who used to give me so much support but and vice versa but she posted this sometime ago, she was in a bad place and we haven't heard from her since. I do hope she got through it.

"Been really struggling now I'm 1st 4lb under target. I've been to the ed clinic and am waiting for treatment to start. I'm determined to beat this and had a recent change of thoughts. I'm trying so hard to eat well with an aim to regain at least 11lb . I don't feel good or look good.
Hope everyone is doing ok xxxx"

Her before and after photos were/are amazing, but at what cost. Mrs Big B couldn't stop losing. I will try and post a link to her diary or something.

I

Mrs Big B posted under a thread Hi All

"Well where do I start .
As some of you know I've been struggling with maintaining my new target and infact I'm actually 10lb under it
I took a very big step the other day and went to see my gp because I just can't stop thinking about losing weight and cutting back to do so . It's taken over my mind all I do is think & talk about sw & food. I've started weighing everything even free foods and superfree counting every single calorie over excersising and worse talking laxatives and it's not good .
I've been diagnosed with depression & an eating disorder and awaiting on test results now to see if I've caused myself any harm .
Just wanted to make everyone aware and if you think yourself you might be struggling please seek help because it's do nice it's out in the open now"

I'm not really sure what to say, I feel awful for you going through a tough time. I think there is enough of a cause for concern that you should have a chat to someone who can help. There are some useful links here: Eating disorders - NHS Choices

Its great that you have so many around you who care for your welfare but you chose your target for a reason, it's a healthy target & I think that you should reach for it, if you want to, *by sticking to a healthy SW plan*. Emsie has a great point, people are encouraging me to finish even though I'm still obese! It takes a while for people to get their arms around your Slimming.

i really hope you feel better soon & get the support you need x

Last edited:
Thankyou for the replies guys, trying to get hold of my consultant to have a chat with her and see what she suggests.

Oh dear not doing very well, obsessing about food 24 hours a day and not been able to contact consultant yet.

Working out the calories in the food I eat, adding them up x
It's difficult as most of us on here obsess about food in one way or another/s and although calorie counting isn't sw quite a few people do it but it depends how many you are allowing yourself etc

If you really are concerned then probably your doc is better to ask than consultant?

It's difficult as most of us on here obsess about food in one way or another/s and although calorie counting isn't sw quite a few people do it but it depends how many you are allowing yourself etc

If you really are concerned then probably your doc is better to ask than consultant?

I agree if it's taking over your life this much (plus alarm bells are ringing with you making yourself vomit) you should go to your GP as soon as possible. Get yourself looked after properly xx

I agree, please go and have a chat with your GP about this, put yourself 100% first and get some help if you feel you need to xx

Defo think its a good idea to pop in and see your gp for a chat. The fact you seem to be able to talk about it is a very good sign as eating disorders tend to be very secretive trust me I know my sister suffered from Bulimia nervosa for a very long time and everyday is still a battle for her.

To be honest I think any consultant would tell you to go to a gp anyway.

But please keep talking about it to anyone you feel comfortable with do not deal with it on your own.

Xx

How are u feeling now? Did you talk to your consultant or gp? X

Please be careful & go to your GP. They can refer you to a nutritionist/ED specilist. This is dangerous, very dangerous.

As a recovering bulimic myself I cannot emphasis how dangerous & it is to vomit up your food. In the past I have wound up in hospital because of it, I've given myself heart damage (when you vomit you mess up your electrolytes which keep your heart moving along), my teeth are ruined, AND I'm very overweight because vomiting DOES NOT get rid of calories!

I'm not saying this to anger you or upset you or scare you.... I'm saying this as someone who has essentially ruined their life by not getting help sooner. So, PLEASE get help soon or this might just take over your life. It's okay to obsess over calories every now and again, but if you wind up being scared to eat & punishing yourself, you are in serious danger.

One thing I just want to say is that there is a cycle here. Guilt > Restriction (0 Syns) > Eat too much > Guilt > Restriction (Vomit) > Eat Too Much > Etc Etc Etc

You'll be stuck in a cycle that will eventually end VERY badly. Sorry I've blabbed on but if I can stop ONE single person from not ending up like me then that would be worth it. Please don't let this take control of you.

Hi guys, still struggling I'm afraid. Picked up a bit last week then I went out last night and had to come home early because I felt so paranoid about my size. Had a meal out yesterday for my sister's birthday and today I feel so bad that I don't want to eat anything. It's taking over my life and I've had enough, going to ring my doctor first thing in the morning to get some help. x

I hope you have a helpful doctor, let us know how you get on x

Back