eggs and cheese

Crims

Silver Member
can you eat them and remain in ketosis or do they knock you out? Thanks

You can eat a lot of things and still be in ketosis, but some people are of the opinion that you are not TS if you do, however, if that keeps you going once or twice a week then I say go for it , we are only human after all.

Different types of cheese contain different amounts of carbs so check the packet - cheddar is good - stay away from soft cheeses and goats cheese though, red leicester is another good one, you can have some halloumi too but go easy on that its quite carby, feta is also ok - just don't go wild. Eggs are also fine - all of the egg too - not just the white. If you want a treat once a week then you can eat salad (which has practically no carbs in it - onion/spring onion is the highest carb in a salad so only have two of those or 1/4 normal onion) and put a tin of tuna on top - which is low carb and thats only 99 calories for that meal nothing detrimental!! Or if you don't like fish then you can eat chicken, turkey, or bacon - you can have red meat but as I found yesterday at a dinner I had with some friends red meat is harder to digest. Hope that helps xx

Somewhere here is a ketogenic food list which details what can and cannot be eaten to remain in ketosis - I think it might be a sticky.

I would nibble on cheese from time to time, I dont have any problems staying in the K zone with it. Eggs are okay too.

Here is the list of all the allowed foods:

KETOGENIC FOODS

Here's a partial list of just some of the foods that can be consumed on a ketogenic diet. I'll start with the '100% safe foods', the ones that shouldn't throw you out of ketosis due to having either no carbs, or trace amounts of carbs. Next I'll go to 'questionable' foods, such as hotdogs, where you must check the carb content on the package, because some hotdogs have only 1 gram of carbs per hotdog, some have seven. I'm also including a list of higher carb content foods, that can be eaten in VERY limited quantities. Finally I give a list of foods that shouldn't be eaten on a ketodiet at all.

(Note: I've tried to list every food I know, in any form, so there will be some redundancy. Foods marked with an '*' are considered healthy, we highly recommend eating them as much as possible while staying under your carb limit and staying in ketosis!)

Safe Foods (No Carbs/Trace Carbs)

Beef, Steak, Hamburger, Prime Rib, Filet Mignon, Roast Beef, Chicken*, Duck, Any Fish*, Tuna*, Salmon*, Trout*, Halibut*, Lamb, Pork, Bacon, Ham, Eggs, Shrimp, Crab, Lobster, Butter, Oils (Olive Oil*, Flaxseed oil*, etc.), Mustard, Salt, Pepper, Soy Sauce, Tea, Coffee, Heavy Cream and Nutrasweet/Equal.

Minimal Carb Foods (Limited Quantities Only, Check Carb Content!)

Broccoli*, Spinach*, Lettuce*, Cabbage*, Bok Choy*, Kale*, Asparagus*, Mustard Greens*, Mushrooms*, Cucumbers*, Pickles*, Celery*, Green Beans*, Brussel Sprouts*, Cauliflower*, Artichokes*, Peppers* (Red, Green, Jalapeno, Habanero), Onions*, Sprouts (bean, alfalfa, etc.)*, Radicchio and endive, Herbs - parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme etc, Radishes*, Sea Vegetables (Nori, etc)*, Jicama*, Avocado*, Asparagus*, Green Beans and Wax Beans*, Broccoli*, Summer Squash, Zuchinni*, Scallions or green onions*, Bamboo Shoots*, Leeks*, Brussels Sprouts*, Snow Peas (pods)*, Tomatoes*, Eggplant*, Tomatillos*, Artichokes*, Fennel*, Okra*, Spaghetti Squash*, Celery Root (Celeriac)*, Turnip*, Water Chestnuts*, Pumpkin*, Nuts, Flaxseeds*, Cheeses, Salami, Pastrami, Hot Dogs, Sausages, Ribs (watch out for the sauce!), Buffalo Wings, Liverwurst, Oysters, Abalone, Protein Powders, Sugar Free Jello, Salad Dressings (some), some Wines.

Higher Carb Foods (Very Limited Quantities!)

Grapefruit*, Lemons*, Limes*, Strawberries*, Olives*, Rasberries*, Blackberries*, Kiwis*, plums*, oranges*, pears*, pineapple*

Foods that are NOT appropriate.

Beer, Mixed drinks, Bread, Milk, Pasta, Grains, Cereal, Rice, Potatoes, Corn, Carrots, Peas, Candy, Cake, Cheesecake, biscuits, Donuts, Fruit Juices, High Carb Fruits (Apricots, grapes, Bananas, Peaches, Nectarines, cherries, Pomegranates, Mangos, Figs, Dried Fruit, such as dates, raisins, dried apricots, and prunes etc.), Pastries, Non-Diet Soft Drinks, Rolls, Bagels, Popcorn, Battered Foods (Fried Chicken, etc.), Gravy, Honey, Sugar, chocolate and Corn Syrup.

Notes: Diet Soft Drinks, such as Diet Coke, Diet 7-Up, and Diet Pepsi can usually be consumed in large quantities, but the citric acid content in these drinks can throw some people out of ketosis. Be sure to check in your individual case if this happens. Hard liquor, such as scotch, vodka, etc can be consumed because they have virtually no carbs. Wine actually makes a nice ketogenic alcoholic drink, as most wines have only 1-6 grams of carbs per glass, the sweeter the wine, the more carbs. Beer is usually very high in carbs, having 10-15 grams per glass. Watch out though, when you're in ketosis your blood sugar will be very low, and the alcohol will have a more pronounced effect.

i nibbled on cheese or had a cheese omlette on the days where i felt a wobble and it helped to keep me on the straight and narrow...

yeah thats what i nibbled on - my sons babybels :whistle:

I tend to have two shakes a day and some cold meat/olives or eggs either fried or scrambled and I am still losing on average 1-2 pounds a day. It also gives me something to look forward to. I think everyone is an individual and you have to do what works out best for you. Tasha x

I tend to have two shakes a day and some cold meat/olives or eggs either fried or scrambled and I am still losing on average 1-2 pounds a day. It also gives me something to look forward to. I think everyone is an individual and you have to do what works out best for you. Tasha x

Agree with that.

Keep the foods v.low carb and limited somewhat and I think it can help keep you on track - I've been doing that with meat/chicken occasionally and it works well.

Marks & Spencers have various offers in their deli section at the moment, so I tend to buy various cheeses, cold meats and olives and it really helps me to stick to the diet. Everything that I am eating si under 0.1 Carb per 100g so basically pure protein anyway Tasha x

Babybel queen over here lol and chicken! Day 4 nibbling on those and lost 5 1/2 lbs going 100% tomorrow though well at least being a bit more aware of kcals when I do pick x

lost nearly 6 stone ... hoping to make it 7 :)

Well I have just munched my way through rolled up cheese and salami, though 0.1 carbs, I figure if I am only having 36g Carbs a day with two shakes and the rest is pure protein, I should be ok as that is effectively the same as Atkins? Don't get me wrong, some days I just have 3 Exante shakes, but when I have my low points, it really helps Tasha x

I tend to have two shakes a day and some cold meat/olives or eggs either fried or scrambled and I am still losing on average 1-2 pounds a day.

with being on week one your losses will be good BUT you may find they stall a bit or you dont feel as good if you skip a pack. If youre eating it should be AS WELL AS not instead of all 3 packs.

Thanks Starlight, for the advice, I will make sure that I still to my three packs as well as the odd bit of protein!! Tasha x

Thanks Katie,

I will make sure that I stick to the three packs as both you and Starlight suggested, thanks for the advice! Tasha x

Back