Ego States - Warning, Food Talk

picnic...

It was my birthday yesterday and I had a piece of cake. I planned for it, planned not to eat anything else and went for a 3 mile jog afterwards. All went to plan and I'm still in ketosis, but for some reason very dehydrated (nearly 3 litres already today and still thirsty).

Anyway, I thought this was an adult decision. But, when my LLC explained it to me, I got it - it's actually rebellious child ("It's my birthday and I'll have cake if I want it...").

So I'm not really clear on what an adult
ego state is, and whether I'm ever in one! I seem to spend most of my time in rebellious child (with the occasional appearance of adaptive child). Can anyone enlighten me in a way that I can understand?

Thank you!

The only way it has ever been explained to me, it when I did the session on ego states and I started to laugh. And my LLC asked me what was funny, so I told her that from what she had explained, I spend most of my life in rebellious child. And every so often, I have controlling parent arguing with rebellious child, so in effect I just have a lot of squabbling going on! And there was no sign of any adult voice at all. So she said, "you must have had adult at one point, or you would not be here would you?"

I still think I am just RC and CP arguing away though!!

B x

From what I understood - adult is essentially when you make a decision based on weighing up the pros and cons, and don't involve emotions etc. So - for example: a planned lapse for christmas dinner would be an adult decision because you know it is not the best thing to do and you accept the fact it could knock you out of ketosis and mean you put a bit of weight on, but you are ok with that because it is only one day and you are prepared to work hard afterwards to get back on the programme afterwards.

If you'd thought: ok, I'm going to eat christmas dinner because, frankly, I deserve to and don't want to miss out on everyone else's fun - that would be rebellious child.

And - with adapted - it would be if everyone said you should eat xmas lunch, you didn't want to, but you go with it just to keep people happy.

Make sense at all??

x

blimey ! what state am i in then ?:wave_cry: , i am sticking to my foodpacks but have convinced myself that after 9 weeks i would have earned the right to a chinese meal ! i have convinced myself that it is the least i deserve after losing a minimum of 3 or 4 stone , perhaps i am just an emotional mess !:eek:

Ooh, typical rebellious child notts_bhoy! You want to stick it to the system - show it that you are in control, and won't do what you're told, hehe... naughty naughty ;) x

And also, not necessarily an ego state but something to ponder, are you by saying "after 9 weeks of foodpacks I deserve a chinese meal" therefore rewarding yourself with food?

B x

yes i suppose i am , i am telling myself that i will have just that 1 treat as i will have earned it , then i will go back to the plan , does not soun
d good does it :cry:

Bekimo I'm like you, RC and CP fighting the bit out in my head! I've lapsed loads of times so looks like my RC is a right wee sh*t, so I'm going to have to beat it down haha!
Annaphylactic, just wanted to say I read your blog and it's very good, made me laugh! Keep up the good work! x

Notts Bhoy,
Please think carefully before you choose to eat when on LL abstinence programme.
I have been doing LL off & on for a year and a half & it is much easier to stick to abstinence.
What happens with me is I fall off the wagon & then become a compulsive eater, I realise it will be a while before I eat again, so I eat more to compensate.
It is a vicious circle.
It is much safer to stay within the LL boundaries.
Have you thought about how much weight you will put on after a chinese meal?, I know I would probably gain about 7lbs. (thats 2 weeks of abstinence to me) make sure it is worth it before you treat yourself.
Anyway good luck in what you decide.

Back