Eliminating Emotional Eating

SharonJayne1970

Silver Member
I just found these tips online and I have printed them and stuck them in my journal, Thought others might find them useful

• Punch in. Set a timer for five to 20 minutes and during that time, think about how you're feeling, and even jot it down in a journal, says Best Life Advisor Adrian Brown, Ph.D., a psychiatrist in private practice in Washington, D.C., and associate clinical professor of psychiatry at Georgetown University Medical Center.

• Make a list. Jot down five relaxing things you can do instead of eating, such as taking a bubble bath, reading a book, calling a friend, surfing the Web and doing a yoga video, says Brown. Keep the list on hand, so you can engage in one of these activities when you get the urge to eat when you're not truly hungry.

• Talk to yourself. The next time your stress levels soar and you find yourself en route to the vending machine, try to reason with yourself, Brown suggests. Say, "If I eat that bag of candy or chips, I'm going to feel good for a few minutes, but then I will feel guilty, disappointed and frustrated. If I can deny this craving, it will hurt for a little while, but I am strong. It won't kill me. When the feeling passes and I return to my desk empty-handed, I will feel really good and happy. My confidence will improve, and I will feel that I have control of my weight and health." Basically, you have to remind yourself that it's OK to feel a little deprived because you've forbidden yourself from having something. It's better than the alternative: Feeling discouraged and hopeless because you can't achieve your weight-loss goals. It will get easier to say no to tempting foods once you get used to the feel of success.

• Remind yourself of your goals. It's a good idea to keep a written list of the reasons you want to lose weight with you in your purse or wallet. They can serve as a powerful reminder when you're tempted to go off track. So jot down a quick list of a few things (I want to be around to see my grandkids; I want to look nice at my son's wedding; I want to have enough energy to keep up with my children) and refer to it whenever you need.

They are Fab Sharon. ireally hope they help you to stay positve

We all need help in this direction that's for sure. It is so easy to forget the reasons for wanting to lose the weight and its damned hard to change our comfort eating patterns; so a reminder such as this is a real tool in the armery for maintaining a positive view on our progress. Thanks for posting this.

Excellent, thanks for posting Sharon.

Gxx

Thanks for sharing

Thanks for this, i have just read through and saw myself there!
The self-destruct button as I call it.
I have copied this list and am going to put it on the fridge.
Really good of you to share this, has made me think!

Michelle x

Hi Sharon,

Just copied and priented this tips, putting it on the fridge door and at work...........thanks for sharing it........

Back