Embarassed Newbie

TRISTAR

Gold Member
Hi all. I have just joined, and having weighed myself a few minutes ago (probably not the best time after spaghetti bolognaise), I will be starting Calorie Counting as of tomorrow. I know we are all in the same situation, but I'm terribly embarrased, even to come on here and say how much I weigh. I have looked on the internet and it says I need about 2300 calories a day to lose weight. This seems an awful lot despite my weight. I thought it would be about 1500. Please can somebody help as to how many I should have? I weigh 19 and a half stone (273 lbs) and I'm only 5ft 4. Shocking I know (hope nobody tells me off), but there's only one way out of this, and it's to do something NOW. I'm a fussy eater, but I'm sure I'll be ok. My only downside is I don't like raw veg, fish or cheese, I'm so envious of people who eat salad. My weakness is carbs, so having read a few of your threads, I think the belly will be grateful if I try and cut out bread for starters.

Anyway it's a nice day, so off out for a walk as your threads have made me feel so positive about getting on with it.

PS - You name the diet, I've been on it, but I think nothing seems more simpler on the brain matter than Calorie Counting.

Good luck everyone, and big hugs from somebody who 1 day won't be so big xxxx

firstly - WELCOME! :)

No-one is here to judge - we are all here as we are ALL overweight, just to different degrees. So no-one will tell you off!

Secondly, someone who is 20 stone will burn more calories day to day than someone who is 15 stone. Because they have more weight to carry round and it uses more energy. It is better to start high and then decrease as you go along.
So my suggestion would be to start at 2000 calories... calorie count RELIGIOUSLY, count every drink, every teaspoon of marg, honey or sugar - that way it will be spot on 2000 cals.
See how much weight you lose... if you dont lose any over say 2 weeks, then drop it a little 1800 say. etc etc.
But I am sure you will lose weight anyway :)
Everymonth then you need to relook at how many cals you should be having each day and adjust accordingly.

I hope this has helped :)

Also - dont cut out bread if you love it! Just swap - instead of white bread, have wholemeal or diet bread. just the same - more goodness!
It is all white carbs, like potatoes, white bread, pasta that we all should be at least cutting down on ... if not cutting out of our diets - and replace them with wholemeals!

Good luck on your journey .. keep us posted ! :)

i would like to echo what sugarsnappea just said. although i dont post in this section often (as i am now doing slimfast for abit to kick start my weight loss and its abit easier as i have exams atm) i have done calorie counting before and still use elements of it now.

dont be embarrassed about how much u weigh, be proud that you are doing something about it, thats more than what alot of people can say! and everyone here is in the same situation so no need to feel embarrassed in front of us and of course no one will tell u off, but we will congratulate u on trying to make a difference to your life :happy096:

im guessing uve based 2300 cals a day on losing 1lb a week? it may seem alot, but as sugarsnappea says, the more u weigh the more u need, and i agree that starting off at 2000 is a good way to go, its always best to start high and decrease the more weight u lose. i would think that suddenly dropping ur cals very low would be a bad idea so just ease into it gradually.

i have been known to be a fussy eater in the past too, but one thing i will say is try something every now and again that u think u dont like. our tastebuds change and recently i have found a whole load of veg i didnt like before, sweetcorn, peas, corgettes, aubergines, asparagus, and carrots (if they are cut lengthways, not in circles lol!) if that fails then just stick to what u like, and try making different sauces/dressings so u dont get bored of the taste!

u dont have to give up bread at all if u dont want to, maybe cut back a little (i.e. have 2 slices a day max) and keep to low GI foods (go on the internet to find some good ideas). i was suprised at how many things were actually low GI such as basmati rice and durum wheat pasta (which is white) and new pots and sweet potatoes are better than old pots.

also, another thing i have tried with success is by cutting out carbs from just one meal a day. so for example u could have cereal, like museli or porridge (grown up stuff not kids cereal lol!!) or brown toast for breakfast, then a carb free lunch, such as soup or homemade kebabs (like chicken with roasted mediterraen veg) , then have a healthy dinner and include low GI carbs. alternatively you could have lots of fruit and natural yoghurt for brekkie and have carbs in ur lunch, or miss out the pots with ur meat and veg for dinner. just by missing out on one portion of carbs a day and swapping the others for healthier alternatives can really help.

also, try not to have carbs in your snacks, so stick with lots of fruit, veg, yoghurt, seeds, nuts, meats, eggs etc. most of the time we know what is good for us and what isnt, but if ur not sure then just pop on here and ask or check the calorie and fat content on the packaging and u should be able to make an informed decision on whether to have it.

hope that helps and best of luck on ur journey - ive always said that if u really want something then ul get it, so i have every faith ul do well :)

Thank you for your words of support, and also for your information. I will find it useful. I also read another thread about somebody simply cutting off crusts from bread instead of buying WW bread. I will try and cut it out though as much as possible, as i think my "apple shape" figure is mainly derived from my love bread and spuds. We have a Hovis best of both loaf here, and I'll cut the crusts off if I'm desperate for a piece. I'll also opt for the wholemeal/brown options where possible. Pasta, rice etc. Really looking forward to tomorrow now, and can't wait. Just got a notebook now, and making notes of the calorie contents of the food I have in the house at present. Can anyone recommend a good Calorie Content guide on the web or on here that lists food items and their calorie content?
Many thanks for your help again, I'm now kicking myself that I lurked for too long on here. :hide:

yes I agree with preetone - that site is good :)

Back of packets are my main source - I dont usually eat anything that hasn't got the content on it :)

Good luck hunny!!

xxx

Thank you. Well it's day one, and celebrated my first morning with a bowl of Bran Flakes & skimmed milk. I usually drink sugar free lemonade, so had a glass of that. Off for a brisk 1 mile walk now (twice round my road). I did it once yesterday (out of breath, calf muscles taught, and back aching - it's gotta get better lol), then drove it so find out the distance, and it's exactly 0.5 miles. So if I start off doing a mile or 2 a day, as I'm currently not really active, it's a start. Will have a yoghurt and a banana when I get back. Feeling positive at the moment, but from past experience weight loss for me does bring on various moods lol, I'll tackle those though as and when. The good thing for me now is I know I have all of you to turn to, which is fab.

Well done on starting your weight loss journey Tristar! Welcome to CC - good to have you on board! Take it one day at a time and before you know it a week has gone and it's on to the next!

well done :) a mile is a good starting point! I walk a lot to uni and work, and it really does make a difference :)

I too did a mile walk today!
Been Food shopping and bought lots of lovely fruit! yummmmmy!

Hi Tristar, hope ur ok thanks for ur welcome hows day 2 going? i have 7 stone to lose feels like a looooooong way but betetr late than never we will get there and when we do no going back! keep in there we will suceed! Lu x

Hiya, great to have someone so motivated joining our group. can only echo what the others have said - take it a day at a time, and aim for mini goals, like a stone at a time.
maybe join our summer challenge? it gives you somehting to aim for, but in little increments - and as you have to post your loss on the forum, it's even more of an incentive!!

good luck on your journey, you sound like you're in the right head space to begin, and you know that we'll be here to encourage you or pick you up if you fall off the wagon!!

x

Good Luck :)

:bliss:great, always good to have new people.

WELCOME, share your weightloss journey and have fun...

It doesn't matter how much you weigh we are only here for the numbers that go down, I actually haven't stated how much I weigh it never really crossed my mind lol, I only care about the lbs that go each week really and the small steps that get us there like the mini challenges each week. So join us on those!!!

We are very non-judgemental and we're all here to support. I am liking being here alot it's a great support xx

We are all human here, we all love chocolate and carbs and we all have bad weeks, days, months lol :cry: :sigh: but we all want to be healthy.

Best of luck we're here for you huni xxx

Was expecting a big loss on my 1st week, and was very very disappointed with only 1lb. I'm doing everything I'm supposed to, so not sure what else I can do but carry on.

you will make it! please dont give up. how much water are you drinking?
time of day you weigh in? time of the month!
2 weeks ago i put on 2 pounds, a day after i start my period it drops off... so im going to try loose as much as i can over next two weeks before i put on my totm weight :s

I never feel thirsty, so when at work I try and drink water all day. I'm definately drinking enough. Had it drummed into me, as I've suffered headaches all my life. I don't have a TOTM, not sure why and not bothered. Maybe my pill or my weight. I won't give up though, I'm going to Spain in August, and want to look and feel better for then. Thanks for your support

Hey Tristar,

I turn 20 in november and need to lose about 6 stone, i think you posted on my thread before. well i started last monday and everything went fine intil the weekend where me and my bf and baby went fishing 2 days in a row so just went to the hut and had burgers, sausage and bacon sarnies etc.etc. by the friday i had lost 4lbs but by monday i had put this back on so i was determined to restart this week but then realised i only had £9 to do a weeks shopping so couldn't afford the nice fruits and salads (why are they so more expensive than choccy biccys and crisps??)

ready to start again this monday when hopefully will have a little bit extra money.

would you like to set up our own little challenge?? and get as many people with a lot to lose involved too.

i want to lose around 6 stone in about 6 months (3 would be good though :) )

Goodluck and please keep me posted.

MrsMe xXx

I'm sticking to CC rigidly, and putting weight on! Seems I was better off before doing this :( :( :cry:

my signature doesn't seem to be saving too, updated my weight 4 times now on my signature, and it's not saving the info

Back