Emotional eating

Emmamb

Silver Member
Is anyone else an emotional eater?
What tips does anyone have to help?

I eat when I'm happy,sad,bored,tired,stressed etc etc and it's the one habit I've never successfully beaten x

Is anyone else an emotional eater?
What tips does anyone have to help?

I eat when I'm happy,sad,bored,tired,stressed etc etc and it's the one habit I've never successfully beaten x

Me, Me, Me!!. Hence, my name, lol!!. I have tried the works, read everything there is on binge eating disorder but when the urge comes over me, it is impossible to quell. What did work for me one night this week, when it came over was that i closed my eyes and willed it to go away and i promised myself to wait for 20 minutes before i had a binge. When the 20 mins was up, i managed to go and make a black coffee which did me until i went to bed. That said, i will try the technique again but I know that this will not always work.

Try it though, Emmamb, and see if it helps reduce the frequency of occasions that you want to binge. I have always been told to paint my nails, have a bath etc. this does not do it for me but it might for you. I also found that when i was really busy at work and doing things and not at home, i binge less.

Yep totally, may seem a little mad but if I'm having cravings for something bad I have a glass of water so it gives me time to think about whether I really want it.

Thanks both of you- I try to talk myself out of it and have tried substituting food before but usually end up munching half the cupboard and literally don't stop until I go to bed.
Tonight I've been ok as I've saved my healthy extras until now so have been able to have 2 Alpen lights and some cheese n chutney for just a few syns...I've still got 10 syns left :)

I'm definitely an emotional eater and have been for as long as I can remember. I haven't managed to break the habit yet but I have found that especially on weekends when I'm at home, bored and feel the need to eat for no reason, if I go and clean something for 20 minutes (clean the bathroom, dust the surfaces in the bedroom, change the bed clothes) or something like that then by the time I'm done the urge to eat has gone. I think it's because I feel like I've burned some calories by cleaning and my mind get more into the 'don't undo what you've just done' mode. I hope that makes sense... :rolleyes:

Me!!! Any emotion makes me want to eat. I read a really good book on CBT and binge eating. It gives you exercises to do that change your way of thinking. It has really helped me, can't remember the name of the book but got it from my local libary. You have to really pay into it though I think for it to work. It's only been a few weeks so can't say its totally changed me but it has helped.

I read in a magazine that focusing on your breathing can help you overcome binge urges. It helps you to regain focus at a time of weakness. All you need to do is slow your breathing down to 5-6 breaths a minute. I find it helps to close your eyes and really focus on how deep the breath is and how it relaxes the body when you breath out. Might not work for everyone but works for me when the birthday cakes are in the kitchen at work!

I paint my nails whenever I get the urge (which is usually at night). It's crazy how many different colours I go through in a week ;) x

hi

I have found the solution to emotional eating.. it is very very very simple but very very hard to do!!!!

Sit with your feelings.. and process them.. allow them to surface, acknowledge them and allow them to pass.. once they are fully dealt with you wont eat on them..

we eat on our feelings as a way of escape... which means you end up eating before and after these feelings if we dont acknowledge them.. AND then we add guilt and shame to the pot thereafter.. vicous circle!

also, as well if you look at the reasons why you are triggering these emotions.. look for patterns.. look for triggers, look for past hurts that you are reliving.. once u deal, u heal and u learn to feel.. instead of cheat and eat!!

All easier said than done.. but I am learning.. and hopefully will beat this!! I can I will and I am...

I have always turned to chocolate after a rough morning today I was so close to sabotaging myself and binging on chocolate... instead grabbed the pram and took my little man out for a walk soon cleared my head and helped me re focus. I find getting away from the temptation and into the fresh air often helps reassess things

I'm definitely an emotional eater. I've really struggled with it... I know it's not very helpful but the only thing that works for me at the moment is working through those feelings. So if I'm upset, recognising that eating a packet of biscuits won't make me any less upset, it will actually make me feel worse and that being upset won't kill me and it will eventually feel better. On Saturday I had a really difficult day emotionally. I ended up taking my dog for a really long walk just to get out of the house and get my head straight. It's a difficult behaviour to change.

Gawd, I could have written any of them responces! I'm the same, I tend to eat mostly emotionally and also, mainly for me if I'm feeling bored or upset! Trying to cut that down by just not having any junk food in the house. If I do, they are the miniature bars which are low in syns.. At the moment I'm not working so keeping active is a big thing!

Oh my goodness, I'm so glad I found you guys!

I am exactly the same... After 4 years of procrastinating and damaging my health I finally committed to doing the Cambridge Weight Plan 100% .... yesterday I was 9 days in and (I thought) psychologically ready for today (the one year anniversary of my beloved Dad's sudden death) and tomorrow (big family get together to remember Dad)..... when last night my ex-husband came over to see my 15 year old son. He always tries to sabotage my weight losses so I had a shake at 4pm (he got here at 5) and as my darling son "popped" out to see his mates I was stuck with this man until 9:30!!! Don't get me wrong, we get on, but it's been a hard won peace for my son's sake after all of the mental and emotional abuse this man put me through for years. Having gone to some really useful NLP Counselling in 2009, I recognise my ex was the catalyst for my emotional binge eating (long story, but you can imagine) .... Last night was frightening. 9 solid days of just calorie controlled milkshakes, 11 lbs in weight lost, feeling like finally, FINALLY, I can do this .... And the minute he left I binged on the only protein I had readily available - a quarter whole honey roasted Ham. I'm gutted. I only recognised this behaviour for what it was today ("I must be fat and unattractive to protect myself from this man " " I actually hate you and what you did to me but have to smile " so I ate all my emotions. Again) . I'm so angry at myself for being blindsided. But today has been a good day and to save my own life (need surgery to remove growth on left ovary, but surgeon won't do op until I lose weight and reduce bp - seeing him 5/11/13) I need to cut this man out of my life.

Sorry to offload tmi, but people don't realise overeating is a disorder of the mind. Unlike drug or alcohol addicts, Food Addicts need food so need other mechanisms to retrain their brains and thinking about food. Finding your triggers, meditation, distraction and support are key.

Wishing everyone luck x

Beverly, hope you dont mind me saying this but I really can sense your pain, even though you broke your diet a little, I think overall you gained in the knowledge of knowing where your comfort eating stemmed from and dont beat yourself up about it, the hardest part of any problem is acknowledging how it started and once you find that out then you will only succeed because your aware and you can prepare yourself to beat it and beat it you will.

People ask me why I joined slimming world and I have a reason (not going to go into it yet) but to be honest, mine stemmed from when I saw my mum very ill last year as she had got bowel cancer a second time (thankfully she is still with us) but I could see what it was going to do to me if I didn't do something about my weight and I got selfish (in a good way). When I say absolutely nothing gets in my way, slimming world comes first nothing else, I gained the weight myself so it is up to me to lose it too.

I joined this group a week ago and I'm so glad I did. I'm a total comfort eater and the only way to combat this is by been prepared. Dont buy any food that might jeopardise your weight loss (for me if it is in the house then I will eat it) and always have your "stash" of healthy comfort food when the cravings kick in (I have loads of the mullerlight yogurts and I would have the sugar free jelly - I know some of these have syns in them but nothing compared to what your comfort food would have been) and I usually have all my syns left after 6pm as this is the time when you would like something sweet (yes I have been there too !!!)

Orla, it was so good to hear from you ... It's a comfort to know other people understand, and you're totally right: knowing yourself and your triggers, and having a small stock of emergency protein will be my way forward. At least while I fight one battle at a time. I have to get the weight off, but to keep it off I have to do the work of recognising what I'm insulating and 'protecting' myself from .... And stop.
For years I told myself I just loooved savoury food and that was my problem ..... No surprise I've been bouncing around on this diet for six years! Well now I know I'm not shallow nor stupid nor lacking 'will power'. I've got an addiction to food and have learnt a terrible behavior I can challenge and fix. So this time is the last time on this diet and I'm getting to goal! :)
Love this quote I've seen on here:
"If hunger isn't the problem, food's not the answer"

Be well xx

Glad that I could be of help Beverly and remember I'm new too but felt that I could help you with this as I could see myself in you too, have to say I'm very lucky as my hubby is just so supportive and kind and totally honest with me when I need it (not in a intimidating way). I have had family and friends who have said things to me and that would trigger another "binge" and they may not have meant any harm in it but did so I put me first and everybody else second and this has worked. I'm totally determined and focused, nothing is getting in my way and your the same, I can see you will succeed.

Oh im such an emotional eater :(
i eat when im fed up, tired, happy, sad!
i like to nibble on everything especially when im in the house waiting to make dinner! :(

I have really bad anxiety and I usually eat when i am having a bad day with it!! So understand completely! I have started running which has helped lots! Xx

Back