ENOUGH!!!

Mini

Administrator
Staff member
Enough . . .
Recently I overheard a mother and daughter in their last moments together at the airport.
They had announced the departure.
Standing near the security gate, they hugged and the mother said I love you and I wish you enough.
The daughter replied, Mum, our life together has been more than enough.
Your love is all I ever needed. I wish you enough, too, Mum.
They kissed and the daughter left.
The mother walked over to the window where I was seated.
Standing there I could see she wanted and needed to cry.
I tried not to intrude on her privacy but she welcomed me in by asking did you ever say good-bye to someone knowing it would be forever?
Yes, I have, I replied. Forgive me for asking but why is this good-bye forever?
I am old and she lives so far away. I have challenges ahead and the reality is - the next trip back will be for my funeral she said.
When you were saying good-bye, I heard you say 'I wish you enough.' May I ask what that means?
She began to smile. That's a wish that has been handed down from other generations. My parents used to say it to everyone.
She paused a moment and looked up as if trying to remember it in detail and she smiled even more.
When we said 'I wish you enough' we were wanting the other person to have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them.
Then turning toward me she shared the following as if she were reciting it from memory ---
I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright.
I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more.
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive.
I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear much bigger.
I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.
I wish you enough hellos to get you through the final good-bye.

She then began to cry and walked away.
They say it takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them, but then an entire life to forget them.
Send this to the people you will never forget and remember to send it back to the person who sent it to you.
If you don't send it to anyone it may mean that you are in such a hurry that you have forgotten your friends.
TAKE TIME TO LIVE.....
To all my friends and loved ones, I WISH YOU ENOUGH x x

Faber and Faber - Publisher of the Year 2006

Wishing you enough too Mini!!

Thats beautiful Mini

xx

Oh, that is almost too much. It is wise and caring but hard as well. I could not bear to say goodbye and leave my Mother knowing that I would in all probablity never see her again. How could that ever be enough? My heart breaks for that lady, she wanted her daughter to stay but she unselfishly let her go. Would that I could be so brave with one of my girls.

Love

What a lovely and moving post. Thanks Mini.
Really makes you think.

Barb, I know what you mean about the mum/daughter situ. My mum died holding my hand 6 years ago next month, and I class myself as 'lucky' to have been there. As i lived 300 miles away and had my husband and daughter to go back to in between my often frantic and frequent trips back to mum.

Awwww that was beautiful, and yes I too know that feeling of saying goodbye forever, and I agree it was just as hard as you imagine if not worse, but something I am glad I had the chance to do so.

Will be forwarding that on to my friends and family today!

I sat with my mum for 2 weeks watching her slowly fade away in July, its something i dont think ill ever get over but i wouldnt change any of it for the world. Im lucky to have had that time to say everything i needed to, not sure whether she heard or understood any of it or even if she knew who i was but ive felt a strange kind of peace since. My brother could barely stand to be in the room with her towards the end and kept telling me to go home or i would mentally scar myself. I told him id be more mentally scarred if i wasnt there. In the end it was just me and her and that felt right. I didnt ring for the nurses until i knew she had gone , mum was a private person and it was right that she had that at the end. Ill miss her forever.

Hi Guys,

I was sent that by my sister and I thought it was lovely and

I wanted to share it with you all.

I remember I came across a saying somewhere and it said,

"hold your children close, with open arms"...

Thanks for sharing that with us Mini, I found that very moving.

Children never really understand a Mother's love until they become parents themselves.

Back