exante vs slim and save????????????????????????????????????

emilyj

Hi I have in the past done exante and im just so sic of the pack so fancy a change and wondered if anyone has tried both and what the main difference was? are the carb low enough to put you in to ketosis?? are they really sweet??:confused:

Never tried the shakes other than the crispy ones and loved them. The meals are wonderful and the choice is brilliant. I did exacted for a wee while but for me S & S wins by miles. Yes they are low carb enough to keep you in ketosis, the best diet ever I think

I've tried both, and I still do a bit of both to be honest, but as time goes on I'm veering towards S&S rather than Exante as I love the variety.
I can't really help you on the shakes, as I don't like shakes in 'real life'. The only skakes I have are the chocolate ones as a hot chocolate, and I think the S&S has the edge over Exante on taste.
The S&S 'meals' are really what sells their diet to me, I love the chilli con carne, the mushroom pasta, the macaroni cheese, and the spaghetti bolognese, and I have them all with some of the allowed vegetables.
Exante works on the basis of 3 products per day, where as S&S is 4 a day, or 3 plus a protein meal, and there's a vegetable allowance which is optional. I find that having the variety, and the option to add in a protein really works for me, and I know that many people find it a far more flexible VLCD than Exante.

Both diets are roughly the same calories, and you will be in ketosis with either one.
Hope this helps!
x

I've tried both, and I still do a bit of both to be honest, but as time goes on I'm veering towards S&S rather than Exante as I love the variety.
I can't really help you on the shakes, as I don't like shakes in 'real life'. The only skakes I have are the chocolate ones as a hot chocolate, and I think the S&S has the edge over Exante on taste.
The S&S 'meals' are really what sells their diet to me, I love the chilli con carne, the mushroom pasta, the macaroni cheese, and the spaghetti bolognese, and I have them all with some of the allowed vegetables.
Exante works on the basis of 3 products per day, where as S&S is 4 a day, or 3 plus a protein meal, and there's a vegetable allowance which is optional. I find that having the variety, and the option to add in a protein really works for me, and I know that many people find it a far more flexible VLCD than Exante.

Both diets are roughly the same calories, and you will be in ketosis with either one.
Hope this helps!
x

thanks for the reply, one last question do you find the losses the same or a bit slower??

No problem!
I find my losses have been a bit quicker if anything on S&S! I'm probably not the best person to ask because I do still mix-n-match a bit with Exante soups (not a recommended way of doing things by the way).
But I've found that since having the majority of my products from S&S, that I'm far less likely to 'pick' at other things. Probably because having 4 products plus the allowed veg is enough in itself.

They do say that whichever VLCD you choose, as long as you're under 800kcal per day, the losses will be more or less the same.
I've been doing this since September so I'm not new to it by any means, but I still lose 3.5lbs on a good week (like last week :))
x

thank you so much for your help, I have just ordered there taste pack to give then a try. I lost almost 5 stone last year on exante and slowly put it back on, I have tried to re start so many times but just end up giving up. I think new packs will really help, I like you will have to do a bit of mix and match because I sill have some. well done on such great losses.xxx

Hi I have in the past done exante and im just so sic of the pack so fancy a change and wondered if anyone has tried both and what the main difference was? are the carb low enough to put you in to ketosis?? are they really sweet??:confused:

I have made the switch from Exante to S&S and losses are the same (one stone per month if you stick at it 100%). I do like Exante shakes, they are thick and creamy, not too sweet and more natural tasting, S&S shakes are much sweeter but and flavoursome however are watery compared to Exante but do mix up really well without the need for a blender unlike Exante. I am a Slim and Save convert simply because of the meal option, in my opinion they are miles ahead of the VLCD game because being able to 'eat' a meal sitting with the family at mealtimes and not hiding in another room nursing a milkshake brings some kind of normality to VLCD! Ive had no adverse comments from colleagues who dont have a clue im on a VLCD (again:eek: ) because I dont have to take a blender/shaker or whisk in the staff room and feel the need to explain my lunch!!

S&S is a ketonic diet and works on the same principles as other brands (Cambridge, LL, Lipotrim, Exante etc). When I was on Exante I only ever had the shakes so 3 per day gave me a calorie intake of around 600 kcal per day. I am currently having 4 S&S meal packs per day (porridge, chilli meal, dark choc truffa bar, spicy spaghetti is my current menu of choice :D) which equates to around 550 kcals per day. My biggest regret is not finding S&S sooner and being very miserable on a mere 3 shakes a day for a 10 week stretch when there are easier options out there! Good luck whichever plan you choose x

My biggest regret is not finding S&S sooner and being very miserable on a mere 3 shakes a day for a 10 week stretch when there are easier options out there!

Don't have regrets as it will have helped you. I did LT for 16 weeks (years ago) and survived on just choc shakes until I couldn't handle it anymore and I moved to calorie counting (S&S wasn't around then). I did manage to shift 5 stone though in that time so I had no regrets even if it was difficult sometimes. This time round I found S&S an absolute breeze compared to LT and I'm sure that being on LT has helped hugely with that. When people post that following S&S is difficult I find myself thinking "you sure - try LT!".

Personally I prefer the S&S shakes over the exante ones, mainly because they're sweeter. I found the exante ones bland and ended up adding 2-3 tablet sweeteners to mine when I had them. I do agree with Wannabe Weeney about the exante ones being thicker, so I just add less water to my S&S ones as I don't like really watery shakes.

I also much prefer the chocolate S&S shake over the exante, the exante one was disgusting to me. It smelt like mold and tasted nothing like chocolate.

I LOVE the S&S meals which I really did not expect as I am a fussy person. I am definitely going to find it easier to stick to S&S than I did exante.

The problem with S&S is that they are actually too nice - and I mean that in all seriousness. I really like the Exante shakes but I am never tempted to have another one because I have enjoyed it so much. I only have the spicy spaghetti and choc truffa bar from S&S (in addition to exante shakes) but already I have found myself having an extra truffa bar or spag bol, not because I am particularly hungry but because they are so nice! I find Exante easy to stick to 100% whereas whilst I've been having S&S I have 'cheated' by having extra bars or a meal pack.

thank you all so much everyone for taking the time to answer my questions. I really think that s&s is just the change I need to get me back on track. Do you all do the packs or do some of you add veg to the 3 packs? I cant fine on the s&s site any info on the food you can have am I missing something lol.xx

Hi, just to put the other side to this I've been doing Exante mostly but bought a few s&s meals to add variety. I found that once I introduced the meal packs and veg whilst yes it did add variety and alleviate the boredom, it did mean I started to eat more off plan. First just extra chicken and veg/salad but then this led to other bits and pieces and my losses slowed - as you'd expect. I'm now going back on 100% Exante to boost my losses.
Whilst I know that for many the variety of s&s and the option of mealpacks means they are less likely to cheat, for me it seemed to mean that I was more likely to cheat once some food was allowed.
I also much prefer the Exante shakes and the Exante bars - they are both much more filling than s&s. The bars in particular are much bigger but then they are more calories (only 3 Exante packs v 4 s&s). Lastly I think Exante works out cheaper because you do only need to have 3 a day, although there is less flexibility in how you can order the products.
I hope your diet works for you whatever you decide. Just wanted to put the other side!

Hi, just to put the other side to this I've been doing Exante mostly but bought a few s&s meals to add variety. I found that once I introduced the meal packs and veg whilst yes it did add variety and alleviate the boredom, it did mean I started to eat more off plan. First just extra chicken and veg/salad but then this led to other bits and pieces and my losses slowed - as you'd expect. I'm now going back on 100% Exante to boost my losses.
Whilst I know that for many the variety of s&s and the option of mealpacks means they are less likely to cheat, for me it seemed to mean that I was more likely to cheat once some food was allowed.
I also much prefer the Exante shakes and the Exante bars - they are both much more filling than s&s. The bars in particular are much bigger but then they are more calories (only 3 Exante packs v 4 s&s). Lastly I think Exante works out cheaper because you do only need to have 3 a day, although there is less flexibility in how you can order the products.
I hope your diet works for you whatever you decide. Just wanted to put the other side!

thank you I did wonder about this, I have always been a all or nothing kind of girl so if I had anything other then 100% exante I would just blow it!!!!! I have just ordered the taster packs so will give it a try, but I may end up back on exante or mixing the two. xx

Don't have regrets as it will have helped you. I did LT for 16 weeks (years ago) and survived on just choc shakes until I couldn't handle it anymore and I moved to calorie counting (S&S wasn't around then). I did manage to shift 5 stone though in that time so I had no regrets even if it was difficult sometimes. This time round I found S&S an absolute breeze compared to LT and I'm sure that being on LT has helped hugely with that. When people post that following S&S is difficult I find myself thinking "you sure - try LT!".

LOL! Maximum respect to you Bordersgirl, 16 weeks on choc shake alone :eek::eek::eek: and LT at that!! Totally agree im finding S&S a breeze too compared to other VLCD ive tried over the years. x

LOL! Maximum respect to you Bordersgirl, 16 weeks on choc shake alone :eek::eek::eek: and LT at that!! Totally agree im finding S&S a breeze too compared to other VLCD ive tried over the years. x

Yep - I've never managed more than 5 weeks on LT... I also dislike all the flavours except the chocolate but I always used to get 1-2 straw, vanilla or soup per week just to have a change lol.
Soup crisps were a godsend this time :D

I was so damed determined to lose the weight when on LT I would have done just about anything. By the time I lost 5 stone I felt a million times better so was happy to lose the rest via healthy eating. It took several months but I lost another 2 stone. I'm losing more slowly with S&S now as I approach goal as I've stepped up to 800 calories and am completely happy with that because S&S is such a breeze compared to LT. I think I could stay on this diet forever to be honest but I might get a bit thin (well I can dream ;) :D).

I think I could stay on this diet forever to be honest but I might get a bit thin (well I can dream ;) :D).

LOL definately very thin indeed!! I feel the same I just love S&S. Ive never been this confident of reaching my ultimate goal, usually at this point im counting down the minutes and seconds I have left on any VLCD plan and consequently never done the refeed and started to gain, but because I enjoy their meals so much I know I will be able to follow a sensible refeed programme introduce certain food groups very slowly and be a successful maintainer not a serial gainer, and I cant wait!!
:banana dancer:

and said:
Yep - I've never managed more than 5 weeks on LT... I also dislike all the flavours except the chocolate but I always used to get 1-2 straw, vanilla or soup per week just to have a change lol.
Soup crisps were a godsend this time :D

What are these soup crisps I keep hearing about!! Am intrigued x

You use a packet of soup mix - I've only done it with LT soup mix so no idea if it works with other brands - I assume it may.

You mix it to a thick batter with fizzy water. Put tiny blobs onto baking paper (greasproof paper) and microwave until light brown.
Cool and peel off. Not really crisps but a wonderful, wonderful, beautiful break if you're on LT lol.

See the pic below.

P1000685.jpg

Back