excercise but no diet??

brewanne

is it possible to lose weight by excerciing with out being on a diet, ive been to the gym now for 3 weeks and i go about 4 times a week and do an hour an a half. i also do hour classes after this so i spend 2 and half hours at the gym tbh, and i can't see why i havn't lost any weight, it's really fustrating me :(

Hiya

It is only possible to lose weight if you are taking in less calories than your body needs, so exercise is fantastic but you also need to look at your food intake as well and make sure this is healthy and balanced and also restrict the calories enough to lose weight.

Why not look at something like weightlossresources.co.uk alongside your exercise programme to really deliver some good results?

Mike

Is it making you hungry? Are you eating more than you did before you started going to the gym or eating different things.
If you are exercising more than you used to and eating exactly the same then you will lose weight, but slowly, if you eat to lose weight and go to the gym it will be much more beneficial. There are charts online which tell you how much energy is used doing particular exercises, eg. swimming for 30 mins = however many cals etc.
Lynne x

lol snap icemoose, we posted at the same time
Lynne x

aha i see, well i suppose i shall go back down the diet route aswell then haha, but i find it really hard. when i get my money i go out and buy healthy low calorie food, and when tht goes i snck again.....but i shall try to keep it up as i'm pretty determined!

you r creating muscle mass which weighs more than fat

i realise that, but surely thats only if i do the weights stuff, i've been using cardio stuff like treadill and cross trainer.....surely thats not a muscle builder and should just burn calories??

Try exercising first thing in a morning before you eat anything. The body stores glycogen to use as fuel during exercise and it takes about an hour of exercise to burn off the stored glycogen before the body starts to use fat as fuel. So, if you have brekkie you are giving the glycogen a real good top up, so it will take longer to start using fat.

Cardio work does build muscles, especially legs if you are running on the treadmill etc. A good tip is to run for 20 mins at a comfortable pace, then do some conditioning exercises and core work and then finish off again with 20 mins on the treadmill. This tricks your body into thinking it has worked aerobically for the whole duration of the session and will burn more calories.

Muscle doesn't weigh heavier than fat it is just denser and takes up less space. Hence inch loss rather than weight loss. You will probably weigh the same more or less but will look more buffed and toned!

Icemoose is correct in the fact that you have to expend more energy than you shovel in via calories! You still need a calorie defecit to loose weight when exercising. Switch to high volume whole grains and unprocessed foods wherever possible and this will support your exercise sessions better and you will eat less as you will feel fuller. Eat within 20 minutes of an exercise session and it should contain both carbs (to replace your glycogen) and protein for muscle repair. Can't go wrong with peanut butter and banana sandwich on wholemeal or beans on wholemeal toast.

Hope this helps. x

Maybe you should think of it as being less of a strict 'diet' and more about making a few small changes. Maybe eat as normal but restrict snack to fruit and veg only, or have your normal treats and have healthier or smaller meals. Small changes will be easier to maintain and will probably have a noticeable impact over time too.

A guy i used to work with lost over 2 stone simply from stopping snacking on anything other than fruit and veg, and he only drank at weekend - and he never particularly indulged in either before!

is it possible to lose weight by excerciing with out being on a diet, ive been to the gym now for 3 weeks and i go about 4 times a week and do an hour an a half. i also do hour classes after this so i spend 2 and half hours at the gym tbh, and i can't see why i havn't lost any weight, it's really fustrating me :(

What intensity are you doing the exercises at? If at full intensity, getting out of breath and sweating then you will be burning about 500-600 calories an hour...if not then way less so in total every week you will only be burning off less than the 3500 calories it takes to burn off a pound of fat...that explains why you are not losing weight...you will be toning up and also getting cardiovascularly fit, so it has its benefits, but if you want to lose weight/fat then you need to cut calories and exercise.

You cannot lose weight by exercise alone, unless you are prepared to spend all your gym time at full intensity and then you are possibly only looking at a pound loss per week if that, so negligible in the grand schema.

If you were running a half marathon or a marathon every day, then yeah, there would defo be weight loss!

i do the tread mill, cross trainer, wave machine, bike for 15 min's each i then do 5 mins on the haNd bike and then i do leg press, chest press, pulley, and ab crunch......i think it's quit intense and i usually do a class like aerobics afterwards.

To lose 1lb of fat a week you need to reduce your calorie intake by 500 calories a day. This can be done through diet or through burning off 500 calories each day.

A balance of moderate exercise and moderate diet would mean this was easily achievable and sustainable - not particularly likely if you were going at it hammer and tongs in the gym every night!

i have the same problem, gym for 3 weeks now, still the same weight.. oh, diet, diet, diet. is calling :D

Back