Excess skin I'm really worried

Ak90

Hi all,I started off at 23:8 stone I'm now down to 21:8 Iv have been loosing the weight at a stone a month. I have a big belly and also large manboobs witch I'm going to go to the doctors to find out if its gynecmastia. I'm 23 years old and want to get to about 15 stone I'm just worried that I will have lots of excess skin left over at the end.

Hiya, no one can guarantee you wont, but you've got to go for it anyway regardless. Youve got youth on your side, and I wouldnt think after losing 8 1/2 stone the extent of loose skin would be as bad as you might be imagining - you might have a bit to pinch that might crinkle up but thats a small price to pay.
Whats your parents skin like? ALot comes down to genetics with skin. For the chesties are you using machines at a gym, will help tighten up that area alot.
well done on your loss btw!

Hi rowanx2, thanks for the quick reply ! Do you think that loosing a stone a month is a bit quick ? Also once Iv lost the weight do you think I should concentrate on toning up ? I will go to the doctors this week to find out weather it's fat or I have gynecomastia.

Hiya! You're looking to lose about the same amount as I've lost to date. :) The slower you lose it, the less likely you are to have excessively bad loose skin. There's no avoiding it generally, but you can do damage limitation by taking things steady - it seems to be worse if you lose on a VLCD or by weight loss surgery, as the speed is quite fast with those. Mine isn't too bad, but I would never expose more than the bottom half of either my arms or legs because of it, and will definitely never wear a swimsuit again, lol. But it's a small price to pay in my opinion. :) xx

rowanx2 said:
Hiya, no one can guarantee you wont, but you've got to go for it anyway regardless. Youve got youth on your side, and I wouldnt think after losing 8 1/2 stone the extent of loose skin would be as bad as you might be imagining - you might have a bit to pinch that might crinkle up but thats a small price to pay.
Whats your parents skin like? ALot comes down to genetics with skin. For the chesties are you using machines at a gym, will help tighten up that area alot.
well done on your loss btw!

Definitely no pinching required to make my loose skin crinkle, it does it all by itself, lol. :) xx

Not sure how much this is going to help, but there was a guy on here not so long ago who lost about 20 stone (starting at about 35 stone and shrunk all the way down to 15). Obviously that's a whole lot of weight to lose so he was left with some loose skin, and I remember seeing a post of his in another lose skin thread, and he said something along the lines of "Having some loose skin won't kill me - but being fat will". I thought that was a great attitude to have. Some people who have lost a lot of weight choose to have surgery to remove it, but others choose to just leave their body as it is - and feel that any stretch marks, squidgy bits and loose skin are kind of like trophies of their weight loss :)

Regarding your weight loss rate of a stone a month, I think it's fine considering your starting weight. If you were 13 stone and losing a stone a month on anything but a VLCD, that would be a different story. Weight loss is always a bit quicker at the start of diets anyway but tends to slow down a little as things progress. A healthy rate is 1-2lbs per week, but realistically I think you'll lose much more than that, maybe up to 5lbs per week, through healthy eating and exercise.

Nobody can say for certain how much loose skin you will have when you reach goal, that's if you have any at all. The only thing you can do is to see how things go, and deal with any excess skin when you get to goal.

I might be wrong but I think any doctor would suggest weight loss before any surgery for your chest. If it does turn out to be anything more than fatty tissue, they will be able to deal with it but probably only once you have lost as much weight as you want to lose. Being lighter will lessen the risks of surgery too.

hi

as your young you willhave better elasticity in your skin. have you thought about doing weights now as this will help with the toning andalso increase your muscle mass and burn more calories.

the doctor maybe able to refer yoy to a gym on the nhs so you can get specific help and a tailored gym plan.

good luck anyway

sarah xx

Also something else to bear in mind is skin can take up to 2 years to snap back as it were so you might need to give it time. Exercising might be something to bear in mind for toning.

Back