Excess skin worries

Hi all,

I have just started Weight Watchers (sorry if you've read all my posts and you've had to read that a few times! :eek: )

I'm hoping to lose over 6 and a half stone and I am TERRIFIED of ending up with excess skin, so much so that that is one of the reasons that I have put off trying to diet again for so long.

I have been up and down with my weight over the last 10 years and I am the heaviest I have been. I have stretch marks so I know that my skin must be losing its elasticity.

Please, does anyone know any tips or what exercises I can do to try my absolute best to avoid this happening?

I am so scared of surgery, that I will do anything to try and avoid excess skin.

Thanks in advance,

Selina x

Hi Salina, I am not sure of any specific methods to avoid this happening however consider it a positive problem in order for you to attain your target weight. Start the journey and attain all the benefits that come through losing the weight (health, energy, confidence and increased positive self image) and the mind set change will strengthen your resolve to deal with future issues better.

All the best for your journey

I've lost 6 stone, and I have a bit of excess skin, but it's not too bad (I still have just over 4 stone to go, though). The worst bit is on my thighs, which look normal when I'm sitting down, but turn to deflated balloons when I stand up. :D But even that isn't something that makes me recoil in horror. It's just part of my changing body--which takes some getting used to in other ways, too. I go to put my hands on my hips and miss sometimes! Like when you are brushing your hair after you've had a lot cut off and you end up brushing air.

I've heard that building muscle will help with excess skin, as will drinking plenty of water and moisturising your skin with lotion. Doesn't need to be any special lotion; just whatever brand you like. Unscented is generally better for your skin, though. Everyone is different, and since I started out a lot heavier than you, my skin has probably been stretched a lot more. You might end up with only a little bit under your arms--it's hard to say what will happen. Just take care of your skin (and the rest of you!) as you lose weight, and deal with any problems as they arise. Good luck! xx

Hiya I have lost 6 1/2 stone with slimming world and I excercise about 3 times a week and I haven't got much loose skin at all lots of people always say they can't never imagine me been as big as what I was because I have no loose skin so don't let it put you of

I've got abit of excess skin on my lower tummy which I hate but I'd rather have that than be 5 stone heavier. They say dry brushing, moisturising, vitamin A, using bio oil, regular exercise and losing weight at a steady weight can help. Good luck and don't get too down about it x

Back