Excuse the daft question but ...

Jessie 888

one life only
I know I won't be refeeding for at least a couple of months but I'm thinking about it constantly right now. I've been TFR for so long I'm worried that when I start eating, my body will go beserk and I will devour everything in sight. Stupid question but does your appetite come back gradually over several weeks or does it kick in in the first week or so? :confused:
I'm planning on maintaining on The Harcombe Diet and I'm so scared that I'm going to put it all back on that I've already planned my menus for the first six weeks!
Hopefully, those of you who have been maintaining so well for so long (respect!), will remember my fears and how hungry you felt when you started to eat again?! :D

Don't fret Hun. I did TFR for about 26 weeks. I then did the refeed and switched to GL principles loosely following Patrick Holford and Nigel Denby. I lost another 29 lbs through GL and have been maintaining well for a year now.
My appetite returned pretty quickly. I looked for new healthier foods to enjoy rather than feeling deprived by not having all the old stodgy stuff. I also apply an 80/20 rule and allow myself treats or just extra healthy snacks when I want.
You are planning well in advance. This is key to success. You have done so well so far. Keep at it.

Thank you so much, Molly. That's very reassuring! It's also useful to know about the appetite returning quite quickly - at least I can plan for that! When I read the refeed section it seems full of people saying they couldn't manage to finish their meals. I don't think I'll have that problem at all but I wouldn't want to waste food! ;)

Dont worry. Just keep portions smaller than before TFR and eat much more slowly.

Will do! :D

I found small amounts of food filled me up so the trick is to just have a really small plate with a small portion on it, you can always get a little bit more if you need it but if you have a 'musn't waste food' mindset you will eat all that's on your plate even though you don't need it if there's too much, thus expanding your stomach and needing more to fill it next time!

You will probably find you'll enjoy all the flavours so much more too :)

It's good to have the plans in place well in advance.

Well done on what you've done so far! Super losses :) x

Thanks Jan - that's a sensible idea. I know what you mean about appreciating the new flavours - at the moment, I'm even looking forward to a lettuce leaf and a crunchy red pepper! Hope that lasts! :D

Back