Exeecise calories

Yeh, I even said in my post that IF people can do another diet then I would definitely advise them to, but in my case, I was 22 and a half stone and rising and on my way to diabetes and probably a heart attack. I tried every diet in the world, spent 8 months with a shrink, did hypnosis and I just couldn't break the cycle. Without Cambridge Diet I would not be where I am now. If everybody could just calorie count and it was that simply to just say 'this is the best way' then people wouldn't have got to the weights they are now so desperately trying to chnage. I couldn't do a conventional diet (probably could now) food is/was like heroin, some people cannot just have a little bit, it's all or nothing. Obviously you cannot fast for ever and if you don't address the underlying problems you will gain it all back, but if somebody is 30 stone and cannot lose weight, then a VLCD, however unhealthy is still a helluva lot more healthy than continuing for years at 30 stone.

I totally respect where you're coming from, and didn't mean to cause offence. Like I said I know the diet works for some people (they enjoy the structure and the plan) BUT IF you can say lose weight from controlling your eating and exercise alone, then I'm sure it would agreed to be best :) However, I know what you're saying when you say food was like heroin - you needed the plan of 'eat then then this' to get you lose weight, because like most of us, myself included, you didn't have much self control over your eating when you were larger (Does that make any sense?) It's a big like a gastric band, it's great if you need it, but if you can reach goal by other means then it might be encouraged to look at those options instead. Like I said to you in a previous, it's clearly worked for you so you have every right to defend it :D

Cambridge has also worked wonderfully for me, given the situation I was in. Recently injured, unable to exercise, and having basically no social life. However, it affected my health in adverse ways too - kidney infections, constipation and bowel problems. I'm grateful to Cambridge because it enabled me to lose weight on a timer and was perfect for my circumstances but like happyhealthy if somebody is fit and able and has the get go about them to calorie count and exercise, nothing is better for their health than that. As an aside, I also found Cambridge the easiest diet I have ever done in my life and find this way so much more demanding (and rewarding).

I totally respect where you're coming from, and didn't mean to cause offence. Like I said I know the diet works for some people (they enjoy the structure and the plan) BUT IF you can say lose weight from controlling your eating and exercise alone, then I'm sure it would agreed to be best :) However, I know what you're saying when you say food was like heroin - you needed the plan of 'eat then then this' to get you lose weight, because like most of us, myself included, you didn't have much self control over your eating when you were larger (Does that make any sense?) It's a big like a gastric band, it's great if you need it, but if you can reach goal by other means then it might be encouraged to look at those options instead. Like I said to you in a previous, it's clearly worked for you so you have every right to defend it :D

Absolutely no offence caused :)

I don't think VLCDs are good or healthy, so I wouldn't defend from that point of view (although I disagree about the muscle thing, because after over 60 weeks in total of SS, I have never lost muscle) but I do think they are very important for severe cases (which I was) and definitely preferable to the consequences that being that overweight will cause or indeed having surgery.

You will fins that most people defend whatever diet they are on becuase it's important for them to believe they are doing 'the best' diet and they need to beleive that to succeed. I am not like that, I have my eyes open as to what is 'best' and Calorie counting (in an ideal world) is without doubt the best way forward imo.

Out of curiosity, how exactly do you know that you didn't lose any muscle whilst doing Cambridge? You say you did it in 60 weeks total and I know you can't do SS for long periods in a row, so what did you do, diet-wise, in between SS weeks? How much did you lose? Did you regain anything? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or snarky or totally invasive, but the general consensus amongst medics appear to be that it's impossible not to lose muscle mass whilst on a ketogenic VLCD. I know two people in real life who also did Cambridge who lost muscle mass, as did I (although I only did Cambridge for a total of 15-20 weeks max). and we also have Caroline here on this forum saying that she also lost muscle mass, so I'm just very intrigued from a professional PoV (as I'm studying nutrition and personal training) as to what you may have done differently. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to publicise all the details XD

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how exactly do you know that you didn't lose any muscle whilst doing Cambridge? You say you did it in 60 weeks total and I know you can't do SS for long periods in a row, so what did you do, diet-wise, in between SS weeks? How much did you lose? Did you regain anything? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or snarky or totally invasive, but the general consensus amongst medics appear to be that it's impossible not to lose muscle mass whilst on a ketogenic VLCD. I know two people in real life who also did Cambridge who lost muscle mass, as did I (although I only did Cambridge for a total of 15-20 weeks max). and we also have Caroline here on this forum saying that she also lost muscle mass, so I'm just very intrigued from a professional PoV (as I'm studying nutrition and personal training) as to what you may have done differently. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to publicise all the details XD

I SSed 100% for 13 weeks first time around and my biceps, triceps, thighs and calves were the same measurements on day 91 as they were on day 1. Bearing in mind that fat would've come of those areas to, I deffo didn't lose muscle. Maybe I am just lucky.

I have subsequently done SS for between 4 and 6 weeks on many occasions.

I SSed 100% for 13 weeks first time around and my biceps, triceps, thighs and calves were the same measurements on day 91 as they were on day 1. Bearing in mind that fat would've come of those areas to, I deffo didn't lose muscle. Maybe I am just lucky.

Firstly, I'm genuinely quite shocked that you didn't lose any inches from those places, I wish I could trade leg loss for tummy loss :D Although I didn't lose anything from my arms, that's quite rare to not lose from so many places. Also, sorry to put a big hole in your theory, but it doesn't mean that you didn't lose muscle... You have muscle in more areas than those you mentioned - you probably lost it from your stomach and it's very important to remember that the most important organ is a muscle too - the heart!

Back