Exercise and SS

clare56

Hi there,

I go to the gym three times a week with a personal trainer for an hour each time.
Do you think it will be okay to carry this on whilst on SS?

Thanks,

Clare xx

i think that it's up to you. i did and coped ok but you might want to take it a little easier than normal. drink plenty. if you feel funny. stop, sit down and go home.

i was running on ss (not totally recommended) but i did it and managed to get to 3 miles this time round but last time i was doing 5 miles before i moved up the plans. i've recently moved up from ss to ss+ to 810 then 1000 as i go by how i feel and i felt like i was struggling and could no longer go on. i do more classes now than i did last time too.

you might also feel light headed or/and dizzy. so take care.

to recap:-
just take it easy. drink plenty. think closely about how you feel. if you feel rubbish go home.

I would be careful with exercise on SS....I used to exercise a lot before I did CD, it helped me maintain my weight (fat as I was lol). When I started doing CD my CDC warned me against doing too much in the first few weeks while I got used to the diet. I listened but a few weeks in I decided to get back out there and exercise again. And my losses slowed down. It's to do with cardio exercise.

Too much cardio can actually have a negative affect on your weight loss and slow it down. It's to do with the way your body obtains it's energy. I'm not saying don't do exercise, just do less cardio and more resistance. The reason for easing up on the cardio is:

It's to do with how your body uses the energy during exercise. When you go on a diet your body starts initially using up it's glucose stores, then glycogen which is stored in the liver, and finally fat. By being on a VLCD and in ketosis you should have very little glycogen stored away so your body burns fat.

Which is exactly what we want, BUT if you then go adding in strenuous exercise your body thinks something is amiss and reserves fat incase it needs it. The human body has no idea that you're doing cardio because you ate a curry or had a bad day, it thinks that you'll be doing the extra cardio etc forever and you'll need reserves to maintain the energy needed to actually run, cycle etc... not good when we want to be burning fat not storing it.

That's as much as I know about it, I'm in the middle of learning about all this as part of my plans for maintaining so it's all a bit new to me, hope I explained it okay.

My CDC seemed to think it was common that people who did a lot of cardio had lower losses.

Exercises such as light weights help build lean muscle which in turn helps burn fat more efficiently and gives better definition and tone to your body shape.

Hope that helps. I

interesting info :D this is why i listen to my body and why i've gone up to a higher plan as i knew that i wasn't coping very well indeed anymore, plus being close to goal and losses slowing right down. so with the 1000plan you each carbs, you've introduced them again, so all should be really well for me for a while. hoping that my losses start speeding up a bit now.

Thank you both for your advice, it all makes sense :)

So, is it actually dangerous to do high intensity cardio whilst on SS or does it just slow down your losses?

Thanks.

My CDC advised me to take things very easily as if having less than 500 cals a day, you actually don't have enough to keep you going. I am going to be doing light exercise 3 times a week as I enjoy it so much and am signed in with gym for at least another 2 months (can't afford not to go!) but I will be listening very carefully to my body and ensuring that I go slow! I will basically just use the toning machines rather than do cardio stuff as I am often knackered after a good sesh anyway, let alone without food!
My CDC did say that if I leave the gym and feel really bad then I can always have another sachet which makes sense.

That makes perfect sense, take it steady and see how you get on, drink plenty of water while you're there too and you should be fine x

i used to have a 4th when exercising and doing ss.

Back