Exercise & Atkins

Sass

Silver Member
I decided that i would start doing exercise on a daily basis but i did just read a post where someone said it can stall weight loss. I want my exercise to help me lose weight so i'm now worried about doing them.

My plan is in my sig which only consists of some upper arm exercises and 30 mins aerobics a day and then some aqua aerobics once a week, once i join that is.

Just wanted to know what all you lovely people think about this and what sort of exercise you all do ?

Ciao sass to be honest I've never really exercised like I should on atkins. I travel for work and get home late. on the weekends however I do go mountain climbling or walking.. I really haven't had a stall and now saying that I hope I don't stall.

I didnt know exercise could stall weight loss on atkins? thats a new one for me

Well having only done the diet for 1 week, i cant comment on knowledge of stalls, but can only think it would be due to muscle weight put on rather than anything else. however i could be drasticaly wrong.

Last week i went swimming once, bounced on a trampoline for 5 minutes and walked about a bit more than usual thats it, lazy boot i am!

I should walk more really

:eek: :bolt:

I had a little workout this morning just a 17 min run, which left me gasping, but on the upside I feel mentally more alert and less likely to eat crap because I feel good. :8855:

well i started, did 11mins and then OH rang from work and so then i spent the rest of my 30mins only exercising my mouth lol Going to get back into it after lunch and finish what i aimed to do for the day.

well done Jot on your 17 min run. Do you go running outside or indoors ?

I was using my wii fit when i was on slim fast but i did get very fed up with that, i don't feel happy to run outside just yet so i will stick with some aerobics for now

well done Jot on your 17 min run. Do you go running outside or indoors ?

I was using my wii fit when i was on slim fast but i did get very fed up with that, i don't feel happy to run outside just yet so i will stick with some aerobics for now

Hi Sass, I only run indoors at the moment, bought a treadmill so when kids are in bed i can run then or first thing in the morning. I did a couple of 30min runs last week but it upset my knee a bit so i had to let that settle down and start again. think i will save the 30 mins runs for when i have only one bottom instead of two:p, I think i just need to be consistent rather than having a spurge.

i've been going to the gym 2-3 times a week hayley. mainly doing a run on the treadmill n then weights, trying to build upper body strength up and get rid of the bingo wings (it'll take a while!).. i feel fine exercising whilst on atkins, when i went to the gym whilst on cd i felt sooo lethargic. i could still do it but afterwards i'd feel shattered the rest of the day. i do think sometimes i could probably lose more by not going as muscle does weigh more but also it works the other way round by using more energy etc if you're musclier.. not to mention tightening up so the inch loss may be more. all in all i think there are pros n cons to either approach but getting fitter has got to be a good thing :)

I really doubt if your weightloss would be stalled. However I do know that exercise will affect how you excrete ketones, so therefore you may test negative with a ketostick. Do not despair, you are still in ketosis (so long as you have eaten right) its just that you will have excreted the ketones in sweat and breath.

i've been going to the gym 2-3 times a week hayley. mainly doing a run on the treadmill n then weights, trying to build upper body strength up and get rid of the bingo wings (it'll take a while!)..

Just a quick note Claire. It is better to do cardio activities after weights rather than before. It means your weight reps will be more effective as you will have more strength.

I usually do a quick warm up 5-10 mins. Followed by 30 minutes of weights (any more than 40 mins and you could be doing more harm than good).
Then follow it all up with as much cardio as I can be bothered with, usually 15-20 mins.

I agree a bit of gentle cardio to get the muscles warm before hand is ideal. However a full on cardio session will deplete some energy which could be better used to ensure you are lifting correctly.

Also a quick note to women, lifting heavy weights will not make you look like Arnie. Unless you have freaky genetics women do not have enough testosterone to "get big" (not naturally anyway). So drop the pink dumbells which weigh less than a tin of beans and grab a weight which you can lift for 5 reps with the last rep being difficult. Rest for a minute then repeat.

You will get stronger, not bigger. It takes a hell of a lot of commitment and a spot on diet (and dare I say it, assistance in the form of Anabolic Steroids) to achieve the type of look most women dread.

Remember having a greater muscle mass will increase your basal metabolic rate, which means that even when you're sat on your bum doing nowt, you will be burning more calories and using more energy than if that muscle weight was fat.

Last edited:
I never knew that.

Remember having a greater muscle mass will increase your basal metabolic rate, which means that even when you're sat on your bum doing nowt, you will be burning more calories and using more energy than if that muscle weight was fat.

I'm very uneducated re exercise :D

That was what i was 'trying' to say! Lol.. you put it loads better than my attempt but i knew what i meant..

I never knew that.

I'm very uneducated re exercise :D

See my problem is I know and understand the science of exercise and nutrition. My problem is finding the motivation to put what I know into practice. I'm also a member of another forum which includes a number of female members who compete in bodybuilding competition. I find their discipline and dedication extremely impressive. They are also a wealth of knowledge when it comes to weight loss and exercise.

I get hot and sweaty just thinking about it. :)

Try not to think of diet and exercise as two separate entities Laura. If you try and include exercise into your diet "plan" I'm fairly sure you will get to your goal in a much more timely manner.

I exercise because I know I should. I really dont enjoy it. Well thats a bit of a white lie, because I enjoy it once I am there and I like the sense of achievement after I have been. It's just getting to the gym and the can't be ar*ed feeling I have before, that is usually my stumbling block.

Back