Exercise - does it help?

fiojam

Focused & goin for goal!
I know it obviously SHOULD help with weight loss because when you do the maths, you exercise therefore you burn more cals which created a larger deficit in your consumed energy so you have to take from you fat.

BUT..... have people noticed a greater loss bue to exercise? I know when I have dieted in the past, it has in some cases slowed me down!! Usually only for a short period and then weight loss has resumed as normal. Is it any different on a VLCD?

I've started to exercise this week. In the early stages of CD I didn't because I was SSing and didn't really have the stamina.
I'm walking to and from work rather than going in the car - it isn't far, only 5-10 min walk (but every little helps!!)
I'm also having a stint on the cross trainer each day.
I started on Monday so have only done two days but I was just curious really....

...will this give me a greater weight loss? :confused:

Many thanks :)

Sorry to jump on but I would love to know this too and also if exercise during SS is a complete no no as I am paranoid about flabby saggy skin :(

Well Im no expert, but I am using a lateral stepper at home, but Im not going mad.......firstly because I physically cant as my legs are not used to it.....lol and I dont want to go mad. I am just doing gentle toning exercise until I am further down the line.
Some expert advice would be nice though !

Sorry to jump on but I would love to know this too and also if exercise during SS is a complete no no as I am paranoid about flabby saggy skin :(

I'm not 100% sure but I think it is a no no if it's something which makes you breathless or sweaty. If you are plannng on doing exercise then I believe doing it on 790 is better.

Hi
As a newcomer I asked my Consultant about exercising and she said it was an absolute no no whilst on SS as your body is on the minimum amount of calories as it is so it wouldnt be able to cope with aerobic exercise aswell. she did say that moderate walking etc would be ok, but she has known women to lose some of their hair from trying to do strenuous aerobic exercise whilst on SS!!

OOOO I would never do anything aerobic not whilst on vlcd, all Im doing is a few hundred steps and it only gets to my legs ....lol...I definately do not go all out to get breathless....thanks for letting us know

I think the problem here is a lack of understanding of what constitutes aerobic exercise. Exercise isn't a no-no, aerobic exercise isn't a no-no, and getting sweaty isn't a no-no!

However, you do have to be careful not to do too much. Remember that while carbs are a ready source of fuel, your body has to do a bit of work to convert fat to fuel, which it can't do quickly enough to keep up with strenuous exercise.

It has no problem fuelling you for light to moderate exercise. Gentle aerobics, resistance and flexibility training are all great things you can do whilst on SS to improve your strength, flexibity and general health and fitness. Sweating is the body's way of cooling you down - if you sweat it means your body is working efficiently, NOT that it's working too hard.

Things like stepping on the stepper are in fact aerobic exercise. Aerobics doesn't have to mean running around and doing jumping jacks. It can be walking, swimming, gentle cycling, going on the cross trainer or the rowing machine, or just getting on your stepper and doing a few hundred steps!

However, be wary of using exercise to try to increase your weight loss on a VLCD. If you are doing enough exercise to make a significant difference to your weight loss, you should be eating more. Sorry, I know this isn't what people want to hear, but while on a VLCD you should exercise for the many associated health benefits and view any increased weight loss as a nice bonus - but not the ultimate goal of your exercise.

Toning is what you need to reduce the "bingo wings!!" I think your body cannot cope with providing the energy required for too much aerobic activity. Even the largest of us can do this right from the beginning.

From my own personal experience, I haven't found that exercising increases weight loss while on VLCD but I know that it improves my inch loss. Like I said, its my own personal experience, it could be different for everyone else. :)

The expression 'aerobic' simply means 'in the presence of oxygen' so any exercise where you aren't gasping for breath paying back an oxygen debt is aerobic.
A mad olympic-style sprint where the athletes collapse at the end panting for breath is 'anaerobic' ..

I think moderate exercise is not only good for the body, it's good for the mind and the soul. You just feel better for it! And the resistance element DOES give you a better shape. Once the fat starts melting away, there are some nice curvy muscles underneath for the skin to sit on.

I know that when I used to go to the gym four times a week, I looked a better, trimmer shape at 15st than some people several stones lighter.
Now I just need to get off my lazy butt after weeks of Christmas inactivity and get back into the swing of it! :)

Im only on day one but was hoping to get back to the gym in 2 weeks (havent been since October) I love to swim, I thought that this would be good for toning up, I hope that I will have the energy as its a great distraction

I love swimming but didn't go for 18 years because I was embarrassed about how I looked in a swimsuit! To be honest, I still am but marginally less so - (it's always the getting in and getting out that freaks me out!)

It's such a great form of exercise and is ideal for overweight people so it's such a shame a lot of us feel we can't do it because of our size. Wouldn't it be great if pools operated a 'big swimmers' session or something (they do disabled / ladies ony sessions etc - why not for the overweight?)
I would probably have given it a go if I didn't feel like I was the only one there who looked like Shamu! :)

:) Well this thread has given me the motivation to get my booty back down the gym.

Will do some gentle biking and walking on the treadmill and some light weights to get the muscles toned for when they finally make their appearance from under the flab :)

Good for you lisaloo!!

I love swimming but didn't go for 18 years because I was embarrassed about how I looked in a swimsuit! To be honest, I still am but marginally less so - (it's always the getting in and getting out that freaks me out!)

It's such a great form of exercise and is ideal for overweight people so it's such a shame a lot of us feel we can't do it because of our size. Wouldn't it be great if pools operated a 'big swimmers' session or something (they do disabled / ladies ony sessions etc - why not for the overweight?)
I would probably have given it a go if I didn't feel like I was the only one there who looked like Shamu! :)

I did start a thread on this topic, I totally agree with you I would feel comfortable getting in a pool with people who are overweight.
I also made the point that if disabled and over 50`s can get there own session why shouldn`t we, it would be so beneficial but the council obviously are not bothered in helping to fight this so called "epidemic of obesity".

Not to put a damper on things, but how on earth would the gym/pool publicise it without being offensive?

Not sure whether blokes and exercise is any different, but i had said all along that in the new year i would be upping my exercise, and mainly get back to walking again (i was once an avid hiker and hillclimber)

So i just dug out all my old hiking gear out brothers attic (waterproofs, thermals, gps, hydration pack) and was about to start regular long walks, progressing to even longer walks (i years ago often went on 20mile hikes at weekends)

So as i live near a huge nature reserve in countryside, i was planning on 2-3 times a week for now taking a hike for about a 3-4mile round trip, and then each weekend take a 10-12mile hike also. And then in 2-3 weeks time increase the length of walks, and hopefully 2-3mths time i maybe fit enough to get back to my old self and be able to head off to Snowdonia at weekends for some serious trekking! :p

Of course only drawback right now is its Bleeding winter, and walking is going to be wet and muddy! :eek: Hence i dug out all the Gore-tex gear and the trusty maglite torch...

If you that is overdoing it on SS let me know, but i really dont think thats "strenous" exercise, 10miles may sound a lot, but it really isnt walking, many people can do that in a day walking around work etc..

PS: In case anyone wondered why a GPS in my own local area, its because you cant get a much more accurate method of knowing how far youve walked than by sat-nav that counts ever inch !

This is an interesting thread as I have also decided to do 10 mins on the treadmill and work my way up as it is a really good toner for the arms waist legs and glutes because the handles move back and forth alternately as I peddle, afterall i dont just want to lose weight but lose weight and be toned or at least have a nice shape.

I do a bit of stretch and toning exercise and had promised myself I would get back walking last year and never got around to doing much:(

I got carried away in the gym, just because I could having lost some weight and over did it and then never went back...

So far this week I have had two walks not very far, but got out of my comfort zone which is a start.

My intention is to get fitter and slimmer for 2007:)

Eventually I would like to join a walking club.

Love Mini xxx

Back