Exercise, Fat, Muscle and the Holy Grail of dieting!

great things

Gold Member
hi everyone.

i'm writing this to clarify a few points of exercising on a VLCD, fat, muscle and the fat burning process. don't be worried about exercising on SS (or upwards) it's perfectly ok, just be very aware of your own body and how it feels. i've always used this to assess my exercise and if i've not felt well at all i've stopped, drank water, sat down and then started again. if i've still felt the same i've gone home as it's not worth risking your health. anyway this was a very rare occurance at the gym and i was usually coming down with a bug when it happened. if you are new to exercise give your body 2 weeks to get used to your VLCD before you start any form of exercise but if you already exercise like me then i think that you should be fine to keep it up but drop the intensity for a couple of weeks. anyway folks the info....

The science bit

your body uses carbs as fuel for it's body. how it does this is change the carbs into glucose. any glucose left is changed into fat and stored in the body.

this is the fun bit.... on a VLCD your available glucose is very low and your body is initially shocked (this is sometimes when you don't feel great when exercising on a VLCD) however, it then starts to slowly use up stored fat by turning it back into glucose.

now when you exercise regularly your body begins to realise that there's not enough available glucose to burn and rather than exhaust this supply it starts access the stored fat supplies earlier thus initiating the fat burning process. as you exercise more the faster, quicker and more efficient your body gets at access the store fat and transferring it into glucose.

now when you run a marathon you will hear of people hitting the wall. this is when the body has used up all the available glucose in the body, plus most of the stored glucose (the body always keeps some in reserve to enable the essentials of your body to work, heart, lungs etc) and your legs just give up moving. these people are usually those that have not carbed up for a few days before the event. therefore use of sports drinks, gel sachets are important for long distance runners. there's not that much stored fat on most runners as there body is very efficient at burning it up. you don't see runners without muscle either.

now muscle and fat myth

muscle and fat are not indifferent to each other. they do both weight the same but the density (the room in the body that they take up) is different. therefore if you exercise and create muscle by burning fat you will get a slimmer size and shape and go down in inches but stay the same on the scales.

building muscle on a VLCD

i am living proof that you can do it. it won't be as much but it gradually builds up. my shape changed on ss and i build excellent leg muscles up whilst running. my legs are always the first to look toned followed by my tummy and butt. i lost no strength and was even doing a body pump class too. at one point i was doing a rediculous amount of exercise (10 hours a week) which i can't recommend as it really impacted on my weight loss.

the types of exercise to do on a VLCD

you must always do what you feel comfortable with and what feels good for your body especially if you are at the start of your journey. i can't stress enough how very important it is to always, always listen to your body. it is vital!!!! many ladies on here are doing the 30 day shred dvd. this is very good exercise which i've not included in the below.

basically anything goes when it comes to exercise. try the following:-

basic:-

walking, going up and down the stairs instead of using the lifts, getting off a stop earlier on the bus.

next level:-

you could start at the gym and use the bike, treadmill, rower, cross trainer. you could go swimming (if you feel comfortable with it). power walking if you can't get to a gym, running up the stairs and walking down them. anything like this really.

going higher:-

use of interval training is excellent and great at initiating the fat burning process.

how it's done..... moving your body faster than you would so fast walking for 1 min then slow walking would do it, you could then do a light jog and walk for the next step, the turn it into running and walking. you can also up the intensity from 1 min to 2 then to 3 etc etc and cut down on the walking inbetween.

you could do it on the bike by putting on a hill or interval training session where you pedal with light intensity followed by a heavier intensity similar to the running do it 1min/1min etc

higher still?:-

full out running is the best form of fat burning. i love it and you can gradually build your length up. always remember to include interval training in one of your sessions too.

i hope that this is helpful to you all. i've always exercised throughout my journeys (i've had a few putting on weight when i was pregnant :p). at one point i was running 6 miles on ss. i can't recommend this either as it was hard work and i struggled so went up to a higher plan at this stage. strangely it's at 6 miles when your body exhausts itself of it's stored glucose which shows that my body had got used to transfering my fat into glucose but it obviously wasn't expecting me to be doing 6 miles :rolleyes:

Hi Hun

Thanks for this!

The shred is interval trainig combined with muscle confusion to give maximum fat burning!

It suits me perfectly as I can always find half an hour in the day to do it / even with hubby being away and lookin after the most mischievous child!

After iv finished
My second round on the shred I plan to start running again - with a pram this time! Which should be interesting!

I'm a firm believer in - "I'd rather look slim than weigh light"

No one weighs you when you try clothes on! So excercise to me is an absolute must!!

Before having Alyssia I lost 4 stone on lipotrim - while I was on lipotrim I used to run 2
Miles to the gym, do a spin class abd then run back every day!

And it never affected my health - I had never felt fitter!

Anyway, I choose to excercise whilst on plan as I willcarry it on when I get to goal abd so will continue a healthy lifestyle abd fingers crossed maintain!

You still loose wether you excercise or not so it really is up to the individual - I just know my body would look like ab empty crumpled bin bag without and toning lol

Xxxxx

Nikki, the only reason I've said things about exercise in other threads - oh, let's put that another way :)

I know very little about exercise, let me put it that way. My personal experience of trying to exercise on Cambridge is that I end up feeling lousy. My only concern about the 'go for it' message is that the newbies - especially those with a lot to lose - might feel they have to exercise.

What I 'know' about exercise and VLCDs has been gleaned from reading posts here over the last 3 years like the one here:

http://www.minimins.com/exante/132361-benefits-resistance-excercise-vlcd.html

Actually, that goes for pretty much all the 'advice' I give. ;)

Hope you don't mind me putting this here.

(Lily runs and hides)

Last edited:
Hi sweet

I don't think she put this as a repy to the other three

I think it was just to give people an idea who think they have to sit on the couch for the next 6 months lol

IRS absolutely a personal choice - I absolutely 100% know I will look like a baggy sock if I don't excercise and I'm only 22 so huge panic stations for me!!

Don't hide lol
Xxxxxx

As I see it , many do not like exercise and they don't have to do it cos with a VLCD and just a mild increase in activity they will be fine.

But some folks do like to exercise and the scare stories around exercise on VLCDs get a bit tiresome...so long as one listens to ones body, and keeps hydrated and doesn't over do it, its fine. I do not see anyone promoting a 'go for it' to newbies, just for themselves maybe, as I see the message of those ladies ( self included ) who have taken up ( or intend to take up ) exercise with some gusto are an inspiration to me, though I still don't know what the shred is:D. -oh i see, its a type pf cross training.

I want a vibrant body , that moves as well as the weight loss so exercise is a must, I just make it fun with pumping music and sexy male trainers from youtube :D:D.

Last edited:
hi everyone.

i hope that this is helpful to you all. i've always exercised throughout my journeys (i've had a few putting on weight when i was pregnant :p). at one point i was running 6 miles on ss. i can't recommend this either as it was hard work and i struggled so went up to a higher plan at this stage. strangely it's at 6 miles when your body exhausts itself of it's stored glucose which shows that my body had got used to transfering my fat into glucose but it obviously wasn't expecting me to be doing 6 miles :rolleyes:

Very useful and long overdue please make it a sticky if its not already :)

IRS absolutely a personal choice - I absolutely 100% know I will look like a baggy sock if I don't excercise and I'm only 22 so huge panic stations for me!!

LOL. Well you might, but given you're 22, there's a higher chance you won't because your skin's going to be far more elastic than say, mine (I'll be 41 tomorrow :eek:), cos you're a lot younger. Though how your skin recovers from rapid weight loss depends just as much on good genes as anything else.

Exercise has to be a good thing - it will help you shape up, look better in your clothes, etc - and to have a fighting chance of keeping the slimmer healthy bodies we're all going to get, it definitely needs to feature somewhere in the wider picture.

As I see it , many do not like exercise and they don't have to do it cos with a VLCD and just a mild increase in activity they will be fine.

But some folks do like to exercise and the scare stories around exercise on VLCDs get a bit tiresome...so long as one listens to ones body, and keeps hydrated and doesn't over do it, its fine. I do not see anyone promoting a 'go for it' to newbies, just for themselves maybe, as I see the message of those ladies ( self included ) who have taken up ( or intend to take up ) exercise with some gusto are an inspiration to me

Belle - I accept that there isn't a blatant 'go for it' message in any of the above and Nikki (as I've acknowledged) is much more knowledgeable and experienced about exercise than I suspect I'll ever be. Though I don't think the link I included above amounts to a 'scare' story - rather, the views of a few other folk here on VLCDs, including a reference to some research.

I guess I was just hoping that someone like KD would chip in with something pithy and insightful but it seems as though she's deserted us for the other site. Anyway... I'll shut up now and go away, promise. :)

Last edited:
hi everyone

don't mean to cause too much problems here. it was just an idea of what you could do and how you could go about it. it was a way of showing how easy exercise could be to put into your life. it's also in response so that people understand the posts that have been written about muscles being wasted away if you exercise which isn't true at all.

p.s also the dreaded muscle weighs more than fat falsehood :D it wasn't aimed at anyone on here. just a personal post that i thought would be useful.

Last edited:
Understood, great things,

, I actually wish there was a more active fitness and training forum here, but I think minimins main strength is in community and the diets and that is good enough for me..I'll go elsewhere for the other. All the yadayadaya around muscle and fat and shall I or sharn't I exercise---blah....cos if a person wants to exercise they will find a way to and the right support if they don't want to anyway they will also find facts and fictions to back that up as well. Either way wight loss with or without exercise will helpgeneral all over health and that in part is what it is about.

i think that everyone should exercise even if it is just a change in attitude by taking the stairs etc this diet is life changing so why not make a positive change to your life with exercise too and when you get to goal it will be easier to stay there.

it's like what laurence brown says about the steps needed to change your life positively and to help keep off the weight.

i think that everyone should exercise even if it is just a change in attitude by taking the stairs etc this diet is life changing so why not make a positive change to your life with exercise too and when you get to goal it will be easier to stay there.

it's like what laurence brown says about the steps needed to change your life positively and to help keep off the weight.

telling a woman she should exercise might not be effective is she has no history of it and has never liked it..but the more people show what exercise can do by their own examples the better.

Lawrence is very very firm about the importance of exercise and is an exercise warrior himself. When I get back from the US in january if I can work something out ( I am going to stick with the USA CD formula)out with him I might go back to him and it would be mainly because of how helpful he can be if one really is serious about exercise as part of ones program..

Bella

great things said:
hi everyone

don't mean to cause too much problems here. it was just an idea of what you could do and how you could go about it.

:( I didn't want to make you feel that you had, so I'm really sorry. I don't usually make contentious posts - and this sort of thing is why. It can be so hard to get across in forum posts what you're trying to say and it looks like I didn't get it right, even though I agonised for ages over whether I should say anything at all.

Nikki, I really admire what you've managed to achieve. You look fantastic in those photos on your diary thread x

Thanks for inspiring the rest of us to grab life with both hands!

hi

i'm the same in that i don't like offending anyone. :)

i really want to mean laurence brown, he sounds amazing.

Hey peeps! Just came across this post and found it very interesting! I'm doing part 2 of my Cambridge journey starting in Jan and really want to incorporate exercise into my day but I honestly struggle to find time which sucks because I feel so good after a good sesh at the gym or on the wii! Unfortunately, I work 7 days a week now and only generally get 2 weekday evenings and Sunday evenings off (I work 2 jobs so my working day is 8am - 9.30pm) so I want to find something I can do on those 3 days that will fit in nicely (maybe an hour to and hour and a half on each of the 3 days) that doesn't involve paying out for a gym membership because I would struggle to afford it or the wii as it was unfortunately stolen! Any ideas would be so greatly appreciated!!! x

walking would be a great start. it sounds like you're really busy anyway. :) you could also walk up stairs instead of taking the lift etc, if you have stairs to climb.

Sadly no stairs in my work! Walking would be good but being a wuss I don't like going out in the city in the dark on my own! Lol! Thanks for the suggestion might see if I can incorporate it during my lunch break or summit don't usually take those but would be nice to get out the office! :) x

Back