Exercise, How often, how much?

I've decided that I'm going to join Slimming World.

My question is how much do I need to be exercising, and at what intensity level?

I have a group near me so I was thinking if I walk to and from that can be a start.

Should I be exercising everyday? Do I need to rotate the type of exercise? How long should I exercise each time?

My health has deteriorated in the part year, and my doctor believes I'm developing asthma. He believes if I lose weight and increase my cardio that I can prevent it, the problem is I struggle now.

Any advice? Thank you

You do not have to exercise on SW - however they do encourage it. There are "body magic" awards for exercise, starting with 3 x 15 minutes sessions a week for 4 weeks for bronze, progressing to 6 x 15 minute or 3 x 30 minute sessions for 4 (or maybe 6) weeks for silver and more from gold!

SW is about food optimising, the exercise is just extra!

Good luck. x

30 mins 3 times a week is what the government recommends, regardless of whether you are dieting or not. I would say in the first instance just try & be more active. This could mean parking at the far end of the car park in the supermarket , in town, or at work. I started off getting off the bus a stop early, and eventually i was walking home from the station instead of the bus, and finally, I was beating the bus home.Now I go to the gym for 45 mins at least 3 times a week.

A diet plan where you don't have to exercise!!:hmm:How odd!

I guess I'll try the 30 mins 3 times a week, that seems quite achievable. I'm never sure if what I consider exercise really is though?

The thing with exercise is, the more weight you lose, the easier it gets. The easier it gets, the more you enjoy it. The more you enjoy it, the more you do it and the more you do it, the more weight you lose. Watch out - it's addictive!

Sorry to through a spanner in the works - but the weeks ive done lots of intense (aerobic or lots of Zumba) exercise i dont loose but the weeks where i've just walked more i've lost.
Do whats right for you and your body and as you loose then increase.
Get the diet right and the rest follows (because you feel healthier you want to move more)

Slimbysummer said:
Sorry to through a spanner in the works - but the weeks ive done lots of intense (aerobic or lots of Zumba) exercise i dont loose but the weeks where i've just walked more i've lost.
Do whats right for you and your body and as you loose then increase.
Get the diet right and the rest follows (because you feel healthier you want to move more)

A dramatic increase in exercise results in short term water retention, which levels off after a couple of weeks, so if you up your exercise regime, and then continue at that level you would find your losses would increase again.

It's a good point to make though - nothing worse than finding out after you've done a shed load of exercise!

The thing with exercise is, the more weight you lose, the easier it gets. The easier it gets, the more you enjoy it. The more you enjoy it, the more you do it and the more you do it, the more weight you lose. Watch out - it's addictive!
Couldn't have put it better myself!

Beware thoough - in a freak incident, I''ve torn my calf muscle and damaged both ankle and knee ligaments! I have been off work this week and unable to exercise at all.

I have gone stir crazy! - try walking and swimming - both give you a good workout with minimal impact on knees and joints. Cardio work will help if/when you join a gym, but not essential.

My regular 30 minute walks became second nature and in good light or weekends, I walk for hours and many miles - I no longer consider it exercise as it is a pleasure!

SO yes, you will lose weight with diet control alone, but for the spectacular results, Body Magic all the way. I got to target and maintained platinum through walking over 1000 mile in my first 9 months.

It's now my major pastime/hobby (rambling).

A dramatic increase in exercise results in short term water retention, which levels off after a couple of weeks, so if you up your exercise regime, and then continue at that level you would find your losses would increase again.

It's a good point to make though - nothing worse than finding out after you've done a shed load of exercise!

I followed the plan 100% to the letter did 3 Zumba classes a week for 5 wks and lost a grand total of 0.5lb but since i slowed down to 1 class & walking ive lost half a stone a month so not sure what to think.

Slimbysummer said:
I followed the plan 100% to the letter did 3 Zumba classes a week for 5 wks and lost a grand total of 0.5lb but since i slowed down to 1 class & walking ive lost half a stone a month so not sure what to think.

Ah well, everyone's different! You will be losing inches even if you aren't losing actual weight, it depends on whether you have a certain weight or a certain size in mind I think - cos you can be a size 12 & weigh more than someone who is a size 14 if you are really toned.

Ah well, everyone's different! You will be losing inches even if you aren't losing actual weight, it depends on whether you have a certain weight or a certain size in mind I think - cos you can be a size 12 & weigh more than someone who is a size 14 if you are really toned.

Your right because my body shape has definately improved :)

Slimbysummer said:

I'm the same but it took me 2 stone to lose 2 dress sizes with diet alone, with exercise I dropped another dress size in 4.5 lb!
So swings and roundabouts!

Back to Q try like Kingleds said to be more active, buy a pedometer and try to get your steps up to 10,000 a day. So marching on the spot whilst waiting for the kettle etc.
Set an alarm on your phone to go off every hour, then get up walk around and sit down (studies show that slim people tend to fidget more than overweight peeps).
When walking try to walk fast enough to get slightly out of breath, this will force to to breathe deeper and increase lung capacity. Singing is also good for retraining lungs.
When a bit fitter and going for it remember this, often the worst bit of exercise is just before you break into a sweat, feels prickly and hard, but even as I leave the gym I can't wait to go back! Not been for weeks cos I've been ill can't wait!

I have visions of you marching on the spot whilst waiting for the kettle to boil now Shirleen!!! That will keep me entertained all morning :)

Back