Exercise newbie needs to ask for directions!!!

bugsbunny2000

Proud to be a LOSER :)
Hey guys!!

So this thread is a whole new world to me. I mean, I know Slimming World. I know what to eat, what not to eat etc. But when it comes to exercise, I am way out of my league!

Right. Here's the thing. I know I can lose weight without exercising. Sure. But I am so worried that I will eventually lose the 19lbs I need to but be left with flabby + saggy skin :( not a good look after all that hard work! Here's what I've tried:

ZUMBA + GYM
I've tried Zumba before. It was okay. But for me to get to a class and fork out £5 a week is impossible. Another reason why gyms are out of the question.

RUNNING/JOGGING
I have trainers. I considered taking up jogging/running but get out of puff easily. Any suggestions? My chest and throat always feel like I've lost any hint of oxygen and feel very light headed when i jog/run!

WII FIT
Since moving back home, I have no room to actually use it - hence why I'm selling it on ebay - and find the exercises are now old and boring!

Do these work??.....

XBOX KINECT
Had a go on my nephews one and it was quite a workout - and that was just the boxing game! Im sure Zumba or Biggest Loser would be brilliant on here. But it would mean having to buy an xbox too as my dad uses his most evenings which is when i would be using it! Worth the money??

KETTLEBALLS
Okay i've seen this word plastered across these forums. Do they work? I need to tone up my stomach, hips, back, bingo wings and my huge thighs. Would these do this? How long would it take to see results (providing i stuck to a routine or plan).??

In 2 weeks i start my PGCE so will have no money and no time between at least 7am-6pm! But I know I need to exercise!
I guess what I'm saying is I want an exercise routine that is:-
- CHEAP (OR WORTH THE MONEY!)
- THAT I CAN DO AT HOME (OR NEARBY)
- THAT WILL TONE SPECIFIC AREAS OF MY BODY
- THAT WILL AID MY WEIGHT-LOSS
- THAT I WON'T GET BORED OF QUICKLY
- THAT WILL FIT AROUND MY HECTIC SCHEDULE

I have 19lbs to lose by 29th October (in time for my graduation on 2nd November!).

Any advice appreciated - i realise I am a tricky customer to please with all these demands lol - but would appreciate any advice!

danni
xx:)

Zumba on the wii (if you've still got it around) is pretty good and doesn't require a lot of space...a couple steps side to side and in front/behind you.

Other things; a brisk walk when you can fit it in to get the body moving and then good-old sit ups/crunches and push ups to tone. With good music it might not bore you until after October :)

Have you tried couch to 5k that will build ur running up gradually and takes around half hour. I also do kttleworxs but only on wk2 so cant comment on effectiveness yet but check out a thread started by kron called secret to shaping up, one person lost 14ibches in the six weeks and there are sone other inch losses mentioned x

Thanks guys :) Will look into your advice, thanks xx

I've lost 26lb in 9 weeks. Slimming world, much less booze and loads of exercise...

1. Walking - upside is that its free, walk fast and its a great calorie burner. Downside is it wont tone all your muscles and you need time
2. Running - also free, big calorie burner. Learn to run to your breathing pattern. some yoga might help teach you to breath more deeply.
3. Kettlebells - these will tone you and if done properly burn calories. You need to do sessions where you have minimal rest between sets so for example, 15 reps of an exercise, 20 seconds rest then the next set. Aim for 45 mins total . Start with these Kettlebell Exercise Instruction and Movement Analysis.

As for kettleballs...no comment!

hahaha i looked into kettleBELLS yesterday. Don't know why I kept calling them balls hahahah whoops newbie mistake! And I am going to invest in Davina's set from Argos (better value for money) and the kettleworx 6 week transformation :) wish me luck :) xx

the thing with the kinect is that you need a certain amount of space, think its about 6ft of spce from the camera thing? id love a kinect but with barely having any room to move in my bedroom its impossible!

running or walking is a good option, maybe team that with the kettlebells. that way you can get both an upper body workout with the kettlebells, and a lower body workout with the running/walking :)

im not a natural runner, i still find running quite hard to do but it gets easier as you keep on going, dont give up on it. when i first started running i lasted about 5 minutes and i was ready to go back home! my last run was 5k, and i did it all. with time it improves :)

Good luck!

Be careful with Kettleworx - one downside is uneven reps per side which is not recommended by anyone. I'd even out any exercise so you do the same on both sides.

Good technique is important too dont rush any exercise. There is a forum on here where kettlebell users share knowledge, cant for the life of me remember its name. Doh.

Let us know if its working....
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Back