Exercise/nutrition advise pls

vixmania41999

Silver Member
Hi all

This probably sounds really stupid but I'm starting a new gym in a couple of weeks when it opens and I know when I've exercised at the gym in the past my weight loss has slowed down and it leaves me really disheartened. I know this is down to muscle etc but is there any way to ensure that I'm still losing weight, like are there any foods I should be eating before/after exercise to help boost weight loss and are there any specific exercises that really boost it?

I know the more muscle you have the quicker you burn calories etc but I still want to see losses on the scales, just wondering if anyone has any tips?

Thanks

Vix xx

I know muscle weighs more than fate etc.. but this doesn't kick in on day one of exercising..
Please remember, that just because you are burning extra calories doesn't mean you need to eat extra calories..
In my group, this happens a lot.. people join a gym, eat more (because they'll burn it off) and then wonder why their weight loss has slowed/stopped..
Perhaps keep a food and body magic diary for the first couple of weeks..

Good luck xx

I wouldn't worry too much - it takes weeks if not months of weight training to build muscle, particularly in women because we do not generally have the hormonal make-up required. What type of exercise will you be doing? Cardiovascular exercise is great for burning calories but you should also include some weight training for toning. Just make sure you drink more water and you may find you need to take in more calories to support your increased level of activity.

I was a bit worried about the same before starting C25k a couple of weeks backs but decided that the benefits of exercise outweighed what the scales said for a while. Plus I really want to (well need to) tone up too. In the past I did find my losses slowed for a while but this time so far they have remained steady (1lb the first week & 1.5 the 2nd) The only difference between this time & the last time is that I do mainly red days now though that could just be a coincidence. Definately take your measurements though because even if the numbers on the scales do slow for a bit you sure see results with your measurements

Good luck & keep us posted on how you're getting on.

Thanks everyone. I'll be doing CV and the resistance weights (like lat pull down etc) I'm also going to do spinning, street dance and maybe kettlebell classes.

I was planning on measureing the day I start and not really taking in more calories and if I do need something more than normal it won't be bad calories......I won't be going to maccy d's just cos I've been to the gym like some people I know do lol, whats the point in that? I always need to drink more water when I'm exercising too otherwise I get major headaches from dehydration.

I'm just going to roll with it then and hope I get some results and I know even if I don't see them on the scales one week I'll be changing my body too which is the whole point..

Thanks again for the quick responses everyone xxx

Will do sweet pink, thank you. I just want it to hurry up and open now I'm getting impatient lol. I'm going to try the C25k when I feel confident enough run too :D

Kettlebell classes are great. If your gym has Body pump you should try this as well. It gives great results.

Thanks Cindersmcphee, I'd never heard of kettlebell classes until I saw it in the prospective class timetable at my gym, hope they find an instructor that can teach it. I've done body pump before and saw results pretty quickly and I was a lot bigger then too, I loved it and will definately do it again if this gym offers it, I just didn't see it on their list, hopefully as its not a completed list yet as the gym hasn't opened it will be added later. Thanks again

Vix x

I've just fell into the "I'm exercising, therefore this crisp/choccie/beer doesn't count" trap and I'm 2lbs heavier :eek:

But I'm going to keep up with the exercise but it's back to good old SW regime. It's the only way

I know muscle weighs more than fate etc.. but this doesn't kick in on day one of exercising..
Please remember, that just because you are burning extra calories doesn't mean you need to eat extra calories..
In my group, this happens a lot.. people join a gym, eat more (because they'll burn it off) and then wonder why their weight loss has slowed/stopped..
Perhaps keep a food and body magic diary for the first couple of weeks..

Good luck xx

Can I please reiterate that this common misconception is incorrect..... muscle doesn't weigh more than fat! 1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat or 1lb of feathers.....muscle density is less than fat, so therefore takes up less room & makes us look lovely & toned!

I know muscle weighs more than fate etc..
Not true! 1lb of muscle weighs the same amount as 1lb of fat, but is leaner so takes up less space. So if you have a higher % of muscle you will be thinner than if you were the same weight but did not have as much lean muscle!

Also, I started cycling 8 weeks ago & have lost 1 stone with an increase in my weekly losses!!! My hubby says I should be increasing my food intake as I will be burning more off, but as Im not at target yet Im staying with my SW plan & then may re-think......also, I couldn't possibly eat anymore as I eat 3 healthy balanced meals with snacks during the day already, so couldn't fit anymore food in!!!

Yeah, I know this.. I was trying to point out that you can't put your slowing or stopped weightloss down to that saying.. it gets bandied about every time someone in my group starts a new exercise regime
Know what you mean hun - sorry, didn't realise you meant it in that way :)

kim63 said:
Can I please reiterate that this common misconception is incorrect..... muscle doesn't weigh more than fat! 1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat or 1lb of feathers.....muscle density is less than fat, so therefore takes up less room & makes us look lovely & toned!

There has been this argument before. But can I point out that of course 1lb of fat is the same as 1lb of feathers or 1lb of rocks......... Because they all weigh 1lb???? Not sure if anyone actually gets that when they state this and it happens alot its like 'no sh*t Sherlock'

Sorry just realised thats what you were stating.... Jumped on the wagon before reading it properly..... Apologies

Drives me doolally when people come out with that phrase - had it said to me today when I gained 1.5lbs - yes I've upped my gym programme and been doing the 30 Day Shred dvd - gym trainer say my muscles are retaining water whilst they are in the process of repair - so looking forward to that dropping off next week :D onwards and downwards!

Back