Exercise on LL

janetljones

To do or not to do, that is the question? :confused:

What do, did you do?

Am thinking I will need to try and keep toned up to avoid major flappiness, but not sure I have the nerve to go swimming yet. Advice gratefully received.

im on lipotrim and was told to excercise after two weeks so not to get flabby bits .Didnt really like the thought of putting on a costume much but got a few friends together and we go on womens night so glad i started going and didnt feel self consious when i got there and there were plenty of women there my size and bigger ,just keep thinking to myself if anyone thinks anything at least im her doing something about it and i love going know .we time it just right and go and see afilm after so we can just walk straight in and not be waiting around for the film to start so i dont get distracted by the food etc hope you start going i have got so much out of it .see if your local pool has a ladies swim only and get a few friends together and enjoy and reap the benifits

Lighterlife asks that you do 10000 steps a day - this is the equivalent of walking 5 miles or almost an hour and a half of walking - now of course a lot of those steps should come from your daily activity - but if, after a few days of using your pedometer you are noticing that you are only getting 2-5000 steps in - it might be time to look at either upping your step count or intriducing some other moderate form of exercise.

All I will say is that those of us (I speak for my real life group) who stuck to it rigidly and succeeded and got pretty much all the way through to 20 weeks of abstinence and beyond were devoted walkers. I didn;t get my 10000 in every day as I work in a desk based job in the city and often do 14 hour days, however I would swim for 30 mins on the way home a couple of nights a week, I did yoga for an hour and a half on wednesdays and at the weekends I would do at least one 10-20 mile walk - two other women in my group who hit the 100 lbs loss also did 10000 steps a day without fail and the last of us didn't get into the walking but she swam 3-4 times a week and was up to doing 2 miles a day and thinking about swimming the channel last time I spoke to her. Everyone else - the ones who didn't exercise - dropped out.

So - although there are people on minimins who lost the weight and did well were people who committed to getting active - we all lost 4.5 stone in foundation minimum with the exception of the swimmer who only had about that to lose anyway - well - I should hope that that speaks for itself.

Occasionally I post about the maths behind LL and I found that if you weren't getting your steps in every day, you would lose 10lbs to a stone less than someone who always did 10000 or more a day. It's pure mathematical fact. After all - doing LL gives you time to stop thinking about food and shopping for food and gives you a few extra hours a week to start thinking about activities you might like to do - I've had a go at pilates, yoga, dancing - all sorts - whilst I was in abstinence - you don;t need to commit to anything - just use this time to try out new fun things that you might want to use to keep fit after LL.

i do 2 blance classes a week (taichi/pilates mix) plus one aerobics class. I might also start a yoga class too. I am still very big so find a lot of exercises just too hard for me atm

sil

I started exercising in a big way in week 6. And really wish I'd started from Day 1!
As long as you listen to your bod you'll be fine. The best thing I ever did was invest in a Personal Trainer. He has quite literally transformed my shape. I used to see the gym as purely 'the place from hell where I need to go if I wish to lose weight'. I've changed my perception of the place so much since starting some serious training. I can see the benefits of training so much, and it honestly didn't take long for major results to be very apparant. I like the fact that my arms have that dip that you only get from good muscle tone, and that I've lost mega inches from my thighs. The only way to firm up the flabby stuff is to fill it with muscle, so good weight training is the way to go. And contrary to popular belief, you're never gonna look like a body builder! Just a lean mean weight training machine :)
The gym isn't for everyone, but for me the introduction of a PT was the thing that transformed my view of the place.

Apart from that, I walk everywhere, run up escalators(!), do yoga and swim. I would love to take up a dance class but can't commit time wise to that just now.

And finally, once you're maintaining exercise is absolutely crucial, so starting early is a great idea to ready your mind and bod for the final stages.
:D

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have decided that I will work on steadily increasing the amount that I do. At the moment I am finding it difficult to achieve the 10,000 steps - I still weigh over 25 stone, and although my mobility is improving I am still a little limited.

For now I will concentrate on increasing the steps and toning and I will look for ladies only swimming. Some of my LL group have started to go to an aqua aerobics class - I just need to pluck up the courage to join them.

JJ go to Aqua aerobics you'll be so glad you did. I started at over 19 stones and went to a-a and it really does help === there are women there of all shapes and sizes and your body can't be seen that well either as you're in the pool. The exercise doesn't feel to bad at the time of doing it and you can really feel the difference afterwards.

Also pilates I have found to be brilliant, it's easy on the body to do and it's another one where you can feel it in your body after you've done the class.

I exercised since starting LL and I'm really glad I did, I didn't want to get to the end and then have to start trying to start toning my body up as I can imagine that that would be a nightmare task.

Good luck with it.

I have exercised since the beginning (and before). My LLC said if you were already doing exercise, you could continue but be aware of your energy levels. I go 4 or 5 times a week and do classes (RPM/Pump) and cardio and weight workouts.

I have had no problems at all.

Hi there

I joined a gym (which has a pool) just over a month ago and I love it! 2/3 times a week I have a workout and 3/4 times a week I go for a swim, spa & sauna! The membership included 3 half hour personal training sessions so I intend to have a "session" and change my workout in a couple of weeks. I go straight from work otherwise I probably would not go! I also go on a weekend as it is only 5 min walk! I feel loads better once I have been and feel really pround and please with myself for going.

I really do think exercise is the key to helping to keep the weight off.

xxxxxx

Hi

I walk a lot with the dogs and I have started swimming again, I went once last week and again today love it. I am going tomorrow and will try and fit another swim in later in the week. It has taken me to week 7 to get my confidence back to go in the pool. I actually work at the leisure center and was really embarresed at the thought of the life guards who I all know seeing me in my cozzie. I have to say honestly they dont bother and no one else does. I am lucky I can go during the day when it is quiet.

Today i did half a hour swimming came home had a shake and went out for half a hour with the dogs. I normally walk them for a hour but one has a injury so didnt want to over do it. I am know totally knackered lol but feel really good and pleased with myself

Thank you everyone.

I have bitten the bullet and rejoined the gym, so aqua fit and swimming here I come :gen157:

One of my most embarassing moments was a couple of years ago, I went swimming with a friend and we were all evacuated from the building in our swimming costumes at about 5pm on a February evening. It was during a fire strike and the green godesses turned up. Tin foil blankets all round:eek: and we weren't allowed back in for 45 mins. I survived that so I can survive anything lol.

Oh Janet that must have been awful, just the cold part of that must have been horrific enough ... and yep, after that you can survive anything :)

JJ,

thank you and all contributors for this thread. I am now inspired and am going to take the plunge and join a gym. Have NEVER been a gym member before. But if I can go 27 days without eating I can do ANYTHING. Lets get moving x

Back