EXERCISE ON SS+

A few points

Hello all,

Here's my two cents;

When the body exercises it burns calories - however while it's on a VLCD at the same time, the body becomes confused; on one hand, all the exercise activity is telling it to 'burn baby burn', yet the greatly reduced lack of calories is telling it to put your metabolism on hold, because, in your body's eyes, it feels something is wrong and survival mode kicks in, which means despite your best efforts you don't see the weight loss you expect (if any).

Now that's not to say it would be the same for all (as everyone is biologically different) but I would imagine it would be like that for the majority of people on the plan which is why the consensus from the consultants is not to do it (or to do something very light if you have to).

Points to remember while on a VLCD:
  • Trying to get a muscled physique may prove counter-productive as in order to build muscle you have to feed muscle and that will not happen on a VLCD .
  • Trying to get a lean cardio super-fit physique may also prove counter-productive in order to burn effectively you have to have a regular caloric intake ( that would be more thand what you would get on a VLCD)

This is why many CDC's say to wait a bit until you are on one of the higher level plans- your body will be taking in more calories in order for your workouts to be effective.

The Cambridge Plan website has a section on it so that might be helpful.

Good Luck!

Here's My cents worth to! I came back from fat camp this week and gained 8lbs! Before I cried hysterically and reached for the cheese on toast I came on here and got a fab load of reasons of why exercise on SS/SS+ is a big fat no-no! But by far my fave explanation came from this awesome lady...

great things said:
***** MUSLCE DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THAN FAT!******

1lb of muscle and 1lb of fat weigh the same - 1lb! muscle takes up less space in your body and will give you a sleeker look. fat can swell up to 3 times it's own size therefore taking up more space in your body making clothes not fit as well.

e.g - 2 people can weigh the same.

1 - 5ft 6in female 13st does exercise and has great muscle tone and is a size 12
2 - 5ft 6in female 13st does no exercise and has a poor muscle tone and is a size 16!

female 2 has more body fat % where as female 1 is less body fat %

our bodies are are fantastic machines and do not necessarily need glycogen to feed our bodies. with a lack of carbs it turns to fat burning.

p.s fat burning is a harder process and takes our bodies longer to do. if it's any compensation when i go out running my fingers swell to the a right size... massive sausages. this is classic water retention.

Hope this helps you :D

I just don't know what to do now :( Since I started the 30-day Shred, my losses have not been the best, apart from 1 week where I lost 5lbs. I am on Step 2 and last time I did it, I had the same problem, at the exact same weight.

So I don't know if it's my exercising regime that's slowing me down OR if it's just a "wall" I have to power through. Feeling a bit down I have to say :( Don't get me wrong, I feel great physically, I am stronger, my endurance has improved, etc. But my losses are so slow for someone my weight :(

It doesn't even really make sense what I wrote. I am just so disappointed: another 1lb loss despite a perfect week of dieting :(

My CDC told me it was fine to exercise which totally goes against what the website says and what others on here have said. I have been doing swimming as I cant get my head around not exercising but if I dont have a big weight loss this week then I am going to try a week with no exercise and see what works ........... sooooooooooooooo confusing :cry:

My CDC told me it was fine to exercise which totally goes against what the website says and what others on here have said. I have been doing swimming as I cant get my head around not exercising but if I dont have a big weight loss this week then I am going to try a week with no exercise and see what works ........... sooooooooooooooo confusing :cry:

Same here, I just love the feeling I have after exercising, like I could conquer the world. And I love being able to finally feel taught muscles through my folds of fat. I KNOW I am stronger because there are things I couldn't do before and now I can. I now have the natural reflex to "tighten" my abs really hard to protect my back when doing things that use core muscles. I could never do that before, I didn't even know what abs were for except keep the guts inside the body :eek:

But then seeing a 1lb loss after being so good is...disheartening. And I have not even lost any inches in 2 weeks: either I'm doing something wrong or my CDC is measuring me the wrong way...

After the Shred, I am going to go swimming several times a week. I love swimming. Maybe it'll be better than the SHred as it's lower impact?

I see we're almost the same height Mandy: what is your BMI? At 32.6, I am so close to being only overweight. I wanted to reach a BMI of 29 by Hallowe'en but now I wonder if it wasn't too ambitious... :(

As you can see, I am feeling rather down. Off to exercise a bit I go :)

Hi Book worm. My BMI is 34 .... started as 37 2 weeks ago so something has to be working :confused: Your results from exercising sound amazing but it is hard when it doesnt show on the scales or measuring tape. Youve done great to stick with it as I am not sure I could.

Isnt it funny how we would be so happy just to be over weight ha ha.

I just don't know what to do now :( Since I started the 30-day Shred, my losses have not been the best, apart from 1 week where I lost 5lbs. I am on Step 2 and last time I did it, I had the same problem, at the exact same weight.

So I don't know if it's my exercising regime that's slowing me down OR if it's just a "wall" I have to power through. Feeling a bit down I have to say :( Don't get me wrong, I feel great physically, I am stronger, my endurance has improved, etc. But my losses are so slow for someone my weight :(

It doesn't even really make sense what I wrote. I am just so disappointed: another 1lb loss despite a perfect week of dieting :(

It does seem so unfair when you are following the plan and exercising. But look at all the mini goals you have achieved so far - you are doing absolutely brilliant! Chin up:bighug: - I'm sure your next weigh-in will be a good one x

MandyMoo69 said:
Hi Book worm. My BMI is 34 .... started as 37 2 weeks ago so something has to be working :confused: Your results from exercising sound amazing but it is hard when it doesnt show on the scales or measuring tape. Youve done great to stick with it as I am not sure I could.

Isnt it funny how we would be so happy just to be over weight ha ha.

The Shred isn't that hard once you don't feel the pain anymore. :D Joking aside, it's done wonders for my back, my shoulders and my core. And my endurance. But why can't I lose the inches? Water retention? But I drink between 3-4L a day... Or maybe it's too strenuous and my body is fighting the change? You're doing really well too. I only have to turn a DVD on. You have to actually go to the swimming pool and share with kids and/or inconsiderate swimmers who think their Michael phelps and think nothing of pushing you out of their way during lane swimming :D

Yes, I dream of being overweight :p But a lot of people don't really know the difference between overweight and obese... So they don't understand what an achievement it is to come down from class II or III obese to plain overweight :) except on here of course :) you're pretty close to it as well. Is it your next goal?

casablanca said:
It does seem so unfair when you are following the plan and exercising. But look at all the mini goals you have achieved so far - you are doing absolutely brilliant! Chin up:bighug: - I'm sure your next weigh-in will be a good one x

I know Casablanca, you're right. :) But deep down I know that if I keep losing 1lb or 2, I'll get disheartened. I wouldn't give up but... Well we're only human after all ;)

The last time I did the diet, I had very steady losses: 3-4lbs a week. But this time, apart from my 5lbs last week... Well, to put it that way I could lose the same on WW...

But I got me thinking. Every time I dieted I always failed at around this stage and never managed to get my bmi under 30. I wonder if it's not a case of body memory? I know it sounds daft but bear with me :) It's like my body remembers its at this time that it gets its food again, if you see what I mean... Or maybe it's just rubbish LOL

Only time will tell :)

Aw, I know, we are only human after all and CD takes some doing!

Your losses could start to pick up. Our bodies are very strange things!

x

Book-Worm said:
The Shred isn't that hard once you don't feel the pain anymore. :D Joking aside, it's done wonders for my back, my shoulders and my core. And my endurance. But why can't I lose the inches? Water retention? But I drink between 3-4L a day... Or maybe it's too strenuous and my body is fighting the change? You're doing really well too. I only have to turn a DVD on. You have to actually go to the swimming pool and share with kids and/or inconsiderate swimmers who think their Michael phelps and think nothing of pushing you out of their way during lane swimming :D

Yes, I dream of being overweight :p But a lot of people don't really know the difference between overweight and obese... So they don't understand what an achievement it is to come down from class II or III obese to plain overweight :) except on here of course :) you're pretty close to it as well. Is it your next goal?

The shred can be as hard as you make it by the effort you put into it. Same for any exercise. E.g run faster on the spot, get your knees up higher, squeeze your core in more (pull it into the ground if doing crunches), use heavier weights, do the weights slower, get your arms higher, move further etc exaggerated moves more and use more effort = better cals burnt and results!

Yes my next goal is a BMI under 30 but I think I need to get under 15 stone for that to happen so got a couple of mini goals first. I went swimming twice last week and got a good weight loss so I am going to stick with that for now. It does take a lot out of me but Im just thinking about the toning it is doing. I dont want saggy skin :(

Thanks. Really motivated today :D

MandyMoo, I finished the Shred today :D Now I am planning my next exercise routine. I will probably alternate between swimming and The Shred (but I will make it more intense, and work harder during the abs work :eek: )

Last night, I dreamt I was BMI 29. It was such a beautiful dream and was disappointed when I woke up. But then I realise that this is really within my grasp :) We're gonna do it :D

Aww bookworm that sucks but it will be reality for you very soon. Uve done so well so far and they pounds n inches will keep dropping off you with the exercise you are doin :). U r an inspiration to us all :)

MandyMoo, I finished the Shred today :D Now I am planning my next exercise routine. I will probably alternate between swimming and The Shred (but I will make it more intense, and work harder during the abs work :eek: )

Last night, I dreamt I was BMI 29. It was such a beautiful dream and was disappointed when I woke up. But then I realise that this is really within my grasp :) We're gonna do it :D
You have done fantastically well so far. You are already down to a bmi of 32 so 29 is just a heartbeat away. I keep dipping into the 8stones or more to lose thread - you are all doing so well that you'll have to re-name it soon!

Daisy65 said:
You have done fantastically well so far. You are already down to a bmi of 32 so 29 is just a heartbeat away. I keep dipping into the 8stones or more to lose thread - you are all doing so well that you'll have to re-name it soon!

Yes this thread will have to be renamed, hehe. But it's great to read it for us larger ladies, it's something we can relate to. There is another part of the forum called the WeMITTs, for very large people, but the vast majority are on WW or SW or cal counting: so lots of food mentioned sometimes :D

I know I'm so close to 29! I think 1st and a half away... I should be there in 2 months time :)

Back