exercise v no exercise

salsaqueen

Been on slimming world a few weeks (this time) and haven't really exercised apart from a play on "lets dance" and a vague idea that maybe I should do some Zumba or something.

That said my question is do you think that if I did step up to the plate and went for it exercis wise that it would speed up my weight loss?

Knowing myself from the last time I did SW, I seem to have a problem with sustaining interest unless I can see results quickly, and if my weight loss is to slow then my interest drops off and I start cheating "even if it is myself I'm cheating"

So has anyone stepped up their exercise big time and did you see good losses for it?

I'm not too sure if it affects weight loss but exercise is vital to maintain a healthy body. I have bad arthritis, so any major exercise is out of the question, for the time being, but I walk loads. It doesn't have to be hours on the treadmill. Walking for half an hour a day is a good amount of exercise and it's cheap too! :)

I've been sighed off work with depression at the moment and the websites say it helps that as well, but I just don't seem to be able to motivate myself.

When I was diagnosed with depression so many people told me that exercise would help - yet I had zero motivation to do it as I really didn't want to face the world. However after a while I faced the gym and it really did help.

Nowadays I make myself go to the gym at least once a week (and it might only be once some weeks) and I always come out feeling better.

I'm about to start my SW journey so don't know how it will affect my weight loss, but I do know that it will help tone up all those flabby bits and help my state of mind.
Juliet

exercise not only burns off more kcals but also raises your metabolism so that your burning more kcals when lazing around watching tv.. or so i thought but on tesing this theory, the week that i ran 4 times, got majorly hot and sweaty!, i lost 1lb. the week i did absolutely nowt, i lost 1.5lb?! i dunno if it helps WL, and i know that if i exercise plenty, i eat plenty more food and feel i 'derserve' more treats so i'm going canny with the exercise just now..
having said this, theres definitely no end to the benefits you get mentally from exercising so i say for those reasons, go for it! xx

Hi,

Ive taken up running along with SW. I dont do it to speed up weight loss, but to get fit. Exercise is no bad thing (unless its done incorrectly leading to injuries) as long as you do the correct warm ups and cool downs and listen to your body.

Im in 2 minds if it can help to speed weight loss just cos exercising may build up muscle so while you are eating better and losing fat, you are building your muscle gained from exercising. Having said that it can also help you burn fat, depending on what exercising you do. Sorry not to be a great help there, but I would suggest you do exercise to get fit and to tone up. If it boosts your weight loss then thats a bonus.

I did the gym twice/three times a week for four weeks straight and sts every single week. Stopped and lost 3lbs that week. bizarre.

I cant exercise unless i know itl benifit my weight loss, yes i know its my health.. i just hate exercise, the natural high never lasts more than an hour for me.. so i never feel motivated to keep going.

xxx

Although you may not notice the difference on the scales you should notice a difference in the shape of your body. Your exercise will be toning your muscle and giving your body a better shape. Inches can be easily lost this way.

After you exercise your body will retain water to help repair damaged cells. Hence why at first you might also not see a lot of loss. Always eat protein after exercising it will help your body.

What I class as exercise other's would probably think of as normal day to day activity as I'm limited with movement but I did start going to the gym about 3 times a week before my normal swimming a few weeks ago. I may not do a lot but it's a lot compared to what my body is used to. Honestly I don't think it's having a good effect on my weight loss, maybe it's something else but since starting I've had 3 rather disappointing weeks at WI. I can't say if it's just the exercise though so don't make your decision based on me. :giggle:

I'll continue doing it because I'd like to get fit along with losing weight, no point being a normal size but still unable to climb a flight of stairs lol and it can only be a positive thing in the long run. I'd love it to speed up weight loss but so far it's not doing. I've felt a thousand times better though since starting, my depression has certainly eased a little and I can only put that down to happy hormones from the exercise.

It's not going to harm your losses much and in the long run you will do better because more muscle means breaking down fat quicker (atleast that's what I've been told, maybe I'm wrong?) The gym guy told me not to expect great losses to start with but that the exercise would start to improve them after a while, I just hope he's right!
I'll try the protein Mr Gilbo suggests and see if that helps.

I have depression too and I can honestly say that on the days I force myself to do something I feel a million times better. It is a struggle and I really, really have to convince myself some days, but it is always worth it. My favourite exercise in the whole world is being out with my dogs. My favourite place is the woods, but even just a quick half an hour walk to the park really does help.
My weightloss hasn't changed since upping my exercise, but I feel much better for doing it. I also have a heart condition, so I'm trying to lose weight and get fit partly for that reason too.
I think the best advice someone gave me was to do something I enjoyed! I would never, ever stick to exercising if I didn't enjoy it....which is why I don't go to a gym :p

Thank you everyone. Have decided to try and force myself out of the front door today for a walk or failing that maybe a spell on the wii. As you have said I've got to look at getting fit in the mind and body not just losing weight. The exercise should help the high blood pressure as well and I might set a good example for dd whose needs to lose weight and shape up as well.

The bottom line is that exercise WILL help you to lose fat, but in the short term, you might not notice much effect.

This is for two reasons mainly.

One reason is that dependent on the amount of exercise you do, the effect on fat burning can be small.
If you walk for about half an hour a day for say five days per week, you will possibly lose a further pound in a month to what you would normally lose (i.e. 1/4 lb per week more).
This is because it takes roughly 3500 calories burned to lose 1lb of fat (175 calories burned per walk, 20 waks per month for example).

The other reason is one the others have mentioned. Exercise will strengthen and build muscle, which because of it's density, might actually not help you in the short term looking at purely weight loss. However, in the long-term, it will be HUGELY beneficial, not only for it's health benefits, but the increased muscle mass will naturally require your body to metabolise fuel faster to allow this muscle to work, which means burning fat at a faster rate, so it's a kind of double whammy.

Cutting calorific intake is the single best, most important way to shed weight, and MUCH easier and more effective than adding exercise, but adding exercise WILL burn more fat, absolutely, but you might not see scale-based results for a while.

To get 'Biggest Loser' style results, you would have to be working out for about 4 hours a day minimum, which is just about impossible for those of us with things to do during the day, and who don't have a 24/7 personal trainer to call upon

I love exercise! It makes me feel so good afterwards and I can definately notice the changes in my body (even if the scales dont reflect it sometimes) I usually do cardio (cyclying, running ect) but in the last month i took up a Body Pump class at my gym. Recently I have been struggling with my losses (I am getting very close to target) and after the first week of doing body pump I had a slight gain. I couldnt make it to group for 2 weeks, and last WI i found out i had lost 6.5lbs in 2 weeks! So i am very glad i stuck to it after my intial gain.

Been on slimming world a few weeks (this time) and haven't really exercised apart from a play on "lets dance" and a vague idea that maybe I should do some Zumba or something.

That said my question is do you think that if I did step up to the plate and went for it exercis wise that it would speed up my weight loss?

Knowing myself from the last time I did SW, I seem to have a problem with sustaining interest unless I can see results quickly, and if my weight loss is to slow then my interest drops off and I start cheating "even if it is myself I'm cheating"

So has anyone stepped up their exercise big time and did you see good losses for it?

i decided to sign up to an 8 week membership of my local gym. in that time i also started slimming world. i lost 1stone at slimming world then had my 8 week assessment at the gym. id lost a whopping 5.5inch from my waist!!! and 4.5 inch from my hips!!!! i couldnt believe it!!!! so it may not help much with weight loss but definatly does help with inch loss!!!!

This week i been doing the wii everynight for 45mins so i'll let you know tuesday if it helps :)

This is an interesting one - I am a gym junkie - totally obsessed with body pump. I am currently 1.5 stone heavier that I was 6 years ago but am fitting into all the clothes that I wore then (y'know those bits you love and hang onto in the desperate hope you will one day fit into them again). I can only put this down to being more toned, and the fact that a pound of muscles takes up half the space of a pound of fat (and burns about 50 more calories per pound too!)

So, exercise (particularly weight bearing) will make you look slimmer, help reduce the likely hood of osteoporosis and definitely helps with depression (I used to suffer badly with this but have been medication free for years now).

Like any habit though it takes a few weeks to form an exercise habit - try and stick to it for at least 8 weeks!

I did the gym twice/three times a week for four weeks straight and sts every single week. Stopped and lost 3lbs that week. bizarre.

I cant exercise unless i know itl benifit my weight loss, yes i know its my health.. i just hate exercise, the natural high never lasts more than an hour for me.. so i never feel motivated to keep going.

xxx
you sound like me mate xx

Excercise. If you are doing it properly and not over-compensating afterwards you will loose weight. If you think of body builders 'cutting' and 'bulking' when they are cutting they loose bodyfat whilst exercising.

The health benefits are fantastic, as well as the boost to mental health.

I can't bear formal 'exercise'. The minute I am told it is good for me or that I should do it, I am not really interested. I am well aware that it is an entirely mental thing - I have no problem with raising my heart rate or being fit, I just dislike formal classes / exercise for the sake of it / the gym etc.

I do however enjoy cycling (as a method of moving from a to b as opposed to 'going for a ride') and for 3 years I dug over waste ground and turned it into a thriving allotment.

There is no doubt that increasing your heart rate doing an activity you enjoy is good for your mental health and your physical health. I also believe that it increases your metabolism and therefore increases your weight loss. I guess it makes no difference if that activity is formalised or not, but any increase in exercise is a good thing.

oh forgot to say.. i've had depression since i was 13 ... but not permently i go through phazes i can be stupidly happy then i hit rock bottom and could cry all time!.

excersising can help but as long as your enjoying it. the minute you do it as a 'chore' it can make you feel just as down on really bad days! try keep it fun and think this is for a new me all the way through keeps you focused on what you want to achieve and not i hate thgis i hate this etc etc.

Back